AF: Belvedere buyouts | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belvedere buyouts

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Adventurer55, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

Not yet, shceduled for tomorrow AM with more details

2. FreeLantz

FreeLantz Well-Known Jeeper

“The auto industry is very soft right now in the U.S.,” he said.

Uh, no it's not, sir. They're just selling a perceived-as-poor quality product that is late in it's cycle and barely marketed at all, and it doesn't share the line with anything else.

vipergg, Ernesto, joewho and 7 others like this.
  3. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

4. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

The buy out thing is the corporation trying to get rid of older employs who cost more. When things pick up FCA will hire new people for less money. Very common tactic.

5. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Cherokee has almost always relied on very strong incentives to sell. It just truly hasn't been a competitive product and even the Jeep name hasn't helped that much. The refresh effect wore off really fast. Keep in mind I think Cherokee has a great interior, but the overall design (and many powertrain options) were (and still are) lacking.
    Belvidere should have remained at minimum a two product plant.

Dave Z, page2171, tlc and 3 others like this.
  6. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Wow. Could someone with more insight explain why the 200 didn't come over or the Dart didn't just keep going? I know the margins were thinner than the Cherokee, but Cherokee+Dart has to be better than Cherokee alone. And the capacity appears to have been there. I assume this means the Chrysler isn't coming anytime soon.

page2171, tlc and valiant67 like this.
  7. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Cherokee really needs to go back to a rwd/awd based platform. Maybe it worked somewhat in 2014, but things are different now. I like the idea one of the posters on here had. Call the new 2 row suv Cherokee and the 3 row Grand Cherokee.

8. willy4110

willy4110 Well-Known Member

Here's a novel idea: develop some vehicles for Dodge and Chrysler that actually sell. Try developing vehicles that are a grand slam like the PT Cruiser. Unfortunately, to do that you need "car guys" running the show. I know people who owned a Jeep and have said they will never buy another one, for whatever reason. Frankly, why would anyone want a vehicle that can climb the Rubicon Trail, unless you're an avid off-roader? Most of the people who purchase the Jeep SUVs will never go even close to the Rubicon; many of them may not even know what that is. I'll quit now....

HotCarNut, HoboChangba and page2171 like this.
  9. BEEAH

BEEAH Well-Known Member

You can say the same thing about pickup trucks, and the U.S. buys a handful of those right? Most people don't tow anything, most people don't need a 6000lb vehicle to go grocery shopping and haul their 1.5 kids around. But they do cause they want em for many other reasons. You can say the same thing about sports cars. Hell most of them don't even come with manuals anymore and end up at dream cruises being OEM hood poppers.

I wish the same for the Chrysler brand though. Redo that 300 and put the Ram level of quality interior in the thing with the base engine as PSU possible with the base also having E-Torque. We need a wagon as well but I think the ship has sailed on domestic wagons selling in volume.

Zagnut27, HoboChangba and UN4GTBL like this.
  10. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

Considering the Cherokee is a Tweener Crossover thats larger than the Compass and almost the size of the Grand Cherokee and can be similarly priced as such, there is no need for it? So what if the Next Gen 2 Row Grand Cherokee will become the "Cherokee"?

11. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

I believe that Grand Cherokee will be bigger than the outgoing model. Around 2 or 3 inches longer wheelbase. I'm talking about 2 row version.

12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

People scoffed when the sedans were dropped and I said one of the worst parts would be if FCA didn't learn lessons from what happened in the sedan market. Apparently they didn't learn and the exact same thing is happening in the CUV markets as it becomes a commodity product market. For now CUV margins will hide the shortcoming for a bit (like larger sedan profits did for decades) - but for how long with discounts increasing? The fact is far more than twice as many people selected the RAV4 than the Cherokee in 2019 in the US. And even if you add in the other small Jeeps, RAV4 far outsold all of them combined.

Zagnut27, page2171 and UN4GTBL like this.
  13. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

Time to show up that speeded up product development.

A new Cherokee is badly needed.

I still see 200-250k sales to be had with the right product.

As others said Belvidere assembly has room for another 100k in product after the new Cherokee.

HotCarNut likes this.
  14. superduckie5000

superduckie5000 THE MAD DUCK
    Level III Supporter

Another Down Week for Belvidere : The Week of Feb. 17th,:
    From rrstar.com:
    Belvidere Assembly Plant to stop production for a week in February (at https://www.rrstar.com/news/20200123/belvidere-assembly-plant-to-stop-production-for-week-in-february )
    FCA announces temporary shutdown of Belvidere Assembly plant near Chicago (at https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2020/01/28/belv-j28.html )

(Yes, this Report is from a Slightly Different Point of View)

I Get to Reference this Source Because in the Summer of 1977 I was the Second Employee on the Wildcat Strike Picket Line to be Served with a Federal Court Cease & Desist Order.
    Read About in the NYT's: About 6 Paragraphs Down.
    Edginess In the U.A.W. (at https://www.nytimes.com/1979/09/13/archives/edginess-in-the-uaw.html )

They Still Talk About the "Trenton Seven" at the Plant.
    See Page 3 of this Paper: It's Rather Good Reporting and However Not 100% Accurate Reporting .
    The Trenton Seven Got Chosen Because the Decided to Stay on the Side of Road Where the Plant Was.
    https://www.marxists.org/history/etol/newspape/news-and-letters/1970s/1977-11.pdf

And No I was Not One of the "Trenton Seven".
    After I Was Served I Walked All the Way Across Van Horn Rd. and Watched the Going's On.
    The Fed's Showed Up in a Full Sized Black Ford Four-Door Sedan.
    And I Never Saw Anything Like Them Again till I Saw the Men in Black Movie.
    I Read About 3 Sentences of the Order and Remember Looking Up at Them.
    They Were Not Smiling.
    I Don't think I walked Across the Street Because It was the Real Intelligent Thing to Do,
    But I Did It Because I Was Rather Quite Impressed by Them.
    Working in the Plant at that Time It Was Like Working in the Seventh Level of Hell !

#15 superduckie5000, Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Zagnut27, burtstwins and Dave Z like this.
  15. IronMike3406

IronMike3406 Well-Known Member

It does need major interior refinements to get it competitive in the Midsize SUV market.. The Trailhawk is 35g and it still has vinyl seats and no leather option....Packaging is key give the customer the options that and FCA still needs work on the Dealership side of things as well, make the potential owners of new Jeep products feel special by providing them second to none service. Some dealerships I have walked into I feel like either they don't want to sell me a car or others are to damn clingy. I hate the 70's mentality of some dealerships. If I walk into a Ram or Jeep dealership I want someone to sell me a Truck or SUV in Jeans and polo not some guy in a Armani Suit with more Gold Rings than Parker Schnabel.

djsamuel, page2171, tlc and 1 other person like this.
  16. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say major improvements are needed at all. I could see a couple of tweaks that could be made for sure. There is a full leather wrapped dash that's available with the Overland, but I personally don't care for that vs mine without that:

[​IMG]

The base Trailhawk has the vinyl/cloth seats, the Trailhawk Elite has vented Nappa seats:

[​IMG]

That, along with the stitched dash always gets compliments from people in mine.

[​IMG]

I'd tweak the transmission tuning, and increase rear cargo capacity, but those are my main complaints.

#18 UN4GTBL, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  17. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

There is SOME leather in the Trailhawk seats, but I personally can't tell which pieces are leather and which pieces are vinyl. Nobody else can either. I'm still impressed and so is everyone else that rides with me. I'd also say that the KL's interior is perfectly fine. I'd say that it could be a little less curvy and more modern, but then it wouldn't flow so well with the exterior.

18. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

Great photos!

Jeep’s major improvements need to happen in overall quality and customer service.

This pattern of declining sales and growing rebates is well documented: it stems from a marketing positioning too reliant on fun and styling, and not enough on quality, which is the nuts and bolts that sustain long-term demand.

After a few years of Nissan Rogue and Jeep Cherokee topping segment sales, Toyota has now become the undisputed segment leader with the new RAV4, capturing close to half-a-million units in 2019. Toyota has achieved this at a time when the segment has stopped growing, which suggests that RAV4 has now a lock on this important segment.

It is much easier for a vehicle known for quality to add fun and styling, than it is for a vehicle known for fun and styling to add quality.