AF: Belvedere buyouts | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Belvedere buyouts

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Adventurer55, Jan 28, 2020.

1. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Not yet, though I’m more certain now that it is the problem because I’ve driven it for an hour at a time with no change. I’m kind of saving up things for next visit because the engine also seems to have developed a sort of rattling sound after starting up cold. It is RPM (not speed) dependent and It goes away after a minute or so. I’ve seen a couple examples online where people are saying it’s the timing chain tensioner. Also, the rattle from the front suspension may be returning though I’m not sure of that yet. Finally, out of the blue it seems to have started randomly setting off the alarm if I open the cargo area door without first unlocking the side doors. It has keyless entry so it should not do that, and it only does it *sometimes*.

On the upside, the rate of oil consumption seems to have slowed a bit!

2. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

3. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

So much for the plant shuffle.

4. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Cherokee is and pretty much always was a compromised product that hasn't been competitive without incentives.

It is time we should be hearing about a replacement Cherokee.

5. kevin m. Henry

kevin m. Henry Active Member

I was told last week by the sales people at my local dealer that the rumors they're hearing from some of their zone reps is the Cherokee is to be dropped with no direct replacement. I'm hoping that won't be the case.

6. codypet

codypet Well-Known Member

Everyone is making CUVs. Quick! Get out of the CUV market!

7. LouJC

LouJC Well-Known Member

ScramFan and tlc like this.
  8. superduckie5000

superduckie5000 THE MAD DUCK
    Level III Supporter

OUCH ! THE END IS NEAR !

9. auric

auric Well-Known Member

Cherokee outsold the Compass in 2019 in the US 191396 vs 143934

it wouldn't make sense to drop the Cherokee here

10. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

Hmmm, empty assembly at Belvedere. Going to be interesting for Canadians at the bargaining table. The plant shuffle may not be over yet. I sure hope for all involved that they find product for all plants.

11. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

I expect that few "GOOD" announcements will happen before either merger is complete or Canadian contract is negotiated. All part of the normal automakers negotiations.

ScramFan and Dave Z like this.
  12. marlon_jbt

marlon_jbt Well-Known Member

Our contract says otherwise. That'd be a pretty big breach and the UAW would want blood.

13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

It seems highly unlikely. It would also leave a huge gap for Jeep. I could see them dropping to one shift (unless they're already at one shift).

14. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

So what? Everyone has recalls. I'd be pretty sure they're included in the J.D. Power. And what can we brag about? We have recalls too.

UN4GTBL and page2171 like this.
  15. Adventurer55

It's kinda sad that Jeep or FCA has chosen to kinda be an also ran in the very heart of the CUV size market segment. Another example of a good plan but the vehicle could be so much better. Especially if it had more room in the back.

UN4GTBL, cdjr77 and page2171 like this.
  16. kevin m. Henry

kevin m. Henry Active Member

I certainly hope you're all right and their information is incorrect

17. LouJC

LouJC Well-Known Member

theirs are hardly minor. fuel pumps that will leave you stranded, air bags that can explode in your face and kill you and parts are not available for who knows how long. For the record my '98 Jeep never left us stranded, and it's 22 years old! Old Chrysler Corp too. So yes the JD power results sound great but the recalls put them in the same place as everyone else.
    I had Toyotas for years and I found that:
    ours never lived up to the superior reputation
    the quality of dealer service when you did have a problem, was sub par, and if you frequent Toyota forums, this is still true.
    My point is they think they are above everyone else and I found that is not true to the extent they would have you believe, based on roughly 10 years of Toyota ownership.
    Don't even get me started on the '98 Subaru we used to have, and the wonderful head gaskets they used in the EJ2.5 flat four, where they changed the gaskets 5 times and STILL had failures (we had 2 head gasket failures with that car), meanwhile the '98 Jeep we bought the same year is still rolling along....the 4.0 Six has been superior in durability to any of the 5 Japanese engines I've personally owned.

djsamuel and ScramFan like this.
  18. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

That's wonderful, but we're not talking about the same company that made your '98 Jeep.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  19. Adventurer55

What happens if they just idle the plant indefinitely? Not close it, just no production. Are they allowed to do that in the contract?

20. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

Chrysler had a similar airbag recall. They also used Takata airbags. Chrysler also had stalling/stranded recalls and problems with parts. These are problems all automakers have.

UN4GTBL likes this.