Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best brand/source for ZJ rear hatch struts/cylinders?

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee, Durango, etc' started by redwheelwells, Nov 15, 2016.

1. redwheelwells

redwheelwells Active Member

Anybody have a recommendation for the best brand/model/source for ZJ rear strus/cylinders? I've not had the greatest experience with either OEM replacement or aftermarket---can't tell you which aftermarket brand I tried, though!
    Thanks in advance!

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I generally use the store brand (HELP!) at the auto parts store without a problem. They are probably made by the same company that makes the OEM and should at least last a few years. Colder weather can weaken the lifting force as the gases contract (Boyle's law).

3. Stomper

Stomper Well-Known Member

4. redwheelwells

Thanks IC and Stomper. I ended up ordering Monroe "Max-Lift"s from Pep Boys (with free store pick-up) for both the rear window and hatch door applications. I kinda decided based on the "Nitro-carburized rod" techno mumbo-jumbo.... We'll see how they perform short- and long-run.

5. redwheelwells

Installed the four Monroes (two each for the hatch door and the window panel) and they work ok, except had to carefully file off about 1/16"-1-32" of lower (piston-end) housing of new passenger-side window strut unit for it to clear the trim panel near the corner.... Before resorting to that solution I double-checked proper mounting/installation, and it was clear that the new unit housing was larger at the point in question and needed filing to clear....

Thanks again, guys!