Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best oil weight & type for lower oil consumption?

Discussion in 'EEK! - Every Extended-K Car' started by tomlct, Jul 16, 2017.

1. tomlct

tomlct Member

'88 Aries 2.5, 106K miles, runs well & quiet after it is warmed up - when cold, I could always hear the K clatter (piston wrist pins, I think).
    But the past 2 years, I am using the car a little more (which means more often on the weekend, it is not a daily driver). I top the oil when the dip stick shows it is lower than full, so I don't know, but guessing this could be 1 quart in 1000 miles.
    Currently using the larger Mopar filter, and Castrol Edge full synthetic oil. Oil is usually full synthetic, bounce around on brands - Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Castrol, using 5W30. Back in the 90's when it was a daily driver, I used to go with 10W30 in the summer.

Are there any comments/recommendations/experience on what might not burn off so fast? I don't see any leaks or smell any oil.

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

What PCV valve are you using? Some aftermarket ones will let you use more oil than Mopar ones.

3. 15chargerawdivory

Brian bnd automotive has great oil . Website is bnd automotive

4. tomlct

tomlct Member

I think the PCV valve is by Purolator but it has been there for a long time - maybe 10 years. The engine is hot now, but that's easy to replace & observe if it makes a difference, once I buy a new one.
    Do you know if the hydraulic valve lifters on the 88 are flat bottom or roller bottom? I read that if they are flat bottom, best to use an oil with higher ZDDP additive pack.

Doug D likes this.
  5. tomlct

tomlct Member

I found that Mopar #4343766 is 1 of the numbers that shows as original, so I have bought 1 on EBay now. $ 22.05 seem like a lot for a PCV valve, but it is a discontinued item, so I will update this post - see if the oil level stays up better after some driving, after this is installed.

6. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Is all of the consumption burning, or is it leaking? Usually these engines leak far more than they burn.
    The oils you use are fine, and thicker oil won't change consumption noticeably. That rate is typical for leakage for that type of car.
    Clean the engine down and look carefully for oil leaks.
    Wait until it is down a quart before adding, and that gives you a true measure of consumption.

Doug D likes this.
  7. tomlct

tomlct Member

Thanks. The engine is kind of clean, but I will watch for that. When that Mopar PCV valve arrives later this week or next, and I remove the air cleaner again to install it, that will be a good chance to clean that side of the engine & see if the valve cover gasket edge seems clean & dry, or not.
    One place that is dry, and I have seen some minor leakage here when I had the Acclaim 2.5, is the plug at the end of the cam, where the air pump would mount, for the earlier models. In fact, I think I have a spare cover seal somewhere, left over from the Acclaim, if that ever starts to leak on this one.

8. neon98rt

neon98rt Well-Known Member

put card board under the car . I parked in a new spot at work since the spot i park in looks rather bad now. The odd part is i never ever have to add oil. I use Mobil 1 10 30 for summer. I no longer drive it in the winter. If i had to guess my drip is coming from the crankshaft seal since my oil pan seal is new.

9. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

My car developed a very bad leak last Thursday, a quart in 30 miles. I won't know for sure until I look carefully, but it also appears to be the front crank seal.

10. manybrews

manybrews Active Member

Any oil you use today is light years past what was used in 88.

Literally any 5-30 automotive oil will be fine.

I'm actually using a modern 0-30 synthetic in all my cars. It's superb. That's both an 88 and 93 3.0 Mitsubishi engine.

There is no magic oil that will reduce consumption noticeably. Thicker oils may, but they are not correct for your car.
    It wouldn't be any appreciable amount anyway.

11. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

If you look in most stores, 20W-50 seems to be gone for good, and even 10W-40 is scarce or gone from many brands.

12. tomlct

tomlct Member

Well that Mopar brand PCV valve arrived yesterday, so I installed it when I came home from work, and I will drive the car this weekend & look for leaks and see if the level drops, or not.
    One thing I noticed, can I ask for comment.
    I had to detach the air cleaner to reach the PCV valve, and the s-hose that connects to the back side of the valve cover and to the air filter assembly - I replaced it a few months ago (I posted a thread about it), so this hose would have been on the cor for something < 500 miles, and when the hose was pulled off the valve cover, & dropped down, there was enough oil in it that a few drops of oil dripped out of this hose.

Does that sound excessive or normal - enough going on that there was enough oil to liquefy & drip? I am wondering if the blow-by gases are a bit more oily than they should be. But I will check for leaks and see if consumption is different with this new Mopar PCV valve.

13. RalphP

Level 2 Supporter

You may want to consider a catch can on the air cleaner side (or even on the PCV side!); possibly two (one each side).

RwP

14. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

1 quart every 1000 miles isn't a horrible amount of consumption for this engine. The wrist pin binding and piston noise was common. As the piston cocks from side-to-side, it will score the cylinder walls. This will increase oil consumption and may eventually become a misfire in that cylinder.
    A premium-grade multi-viscosity motor oil should be OK. I don't think that it has to be full-synthetic.
    I used a 15W-40 HDEO oil in my Neon with a worn engine. I still had the noise, but consumption went down.
    Why Not Use HDEO in Everything? | Heavy Duty Engine Oil (HDEO) - Diesel/Gas Pickups/Trucks/Vans | Bob Is The Oil Guy (at https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1851660#Post1851660 )

15. pt006

pt006 Active Member

I agree with IC. The 15W40 should cut down the oil consumption. But I wouldn't use it in any of the VVT engines. Wrist pin noise might be a little better.

16. tomlct

tomlct Member

I took it out last night for around 1/2 hour, so it was fully warmed up. I found a parking space at the supermarket in the back of the lot, where the ground was clean, so I parked there, and after shopping, I moved the car & looked where it was parked, and I did not see any drops on the ground.
    So I think any oil loss will be from consumption, not leaking.
    Today I topped it, and I will write down the mileage & how much oil I need to add, so this will be interesting.

17. Rickorino

Rickorino Well-Known Member

When you had the air cleaner off, did you replace the breather foam inside? Pcv won't work 100 percent if the engine cannot "breathe".

18. tomlct

tomlct Member

I will check this week, but I don't remember seeing foam inside. Is this where that "S" hose from the valve cover connects?

19. B10alia

B10alia Well-Known Member

There should be foam and a metal mesh. You may have to disassemble the air cleaner to get at it.

I'm inclined to agree with Bob L that this isn't abnormal for this engine. Even a brand new engine in good tune can be expected to use oil. The PCV system connects the crankcase directly to the intake, so any vapors that the oil naturally generates during operation are sucked into the engine and burned. The vapor is only getting replenished from the crankcase supply, which is finite.

20. tomlct

tomlct Member

I have driven around 100 miles since I saw it full, and I don't see any change in level, checking it in the same place, at the same very slight downhill angle.
    I am curious to see if the Mopar PCV valve which I installed a few weeks ago, replacing the one that was there for a lot of years (I really don't know how many) will make a difference.
    I plan to put some more miles on it this Sunday. I will post my observations after a bunch more miles, we shall see.