Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Day for Mopar doorslammers at "The Big Go"

Discussion in 'Motorsports / Racing News' started by Beentherebefore, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I can't recall a day this big at the NHRA US Nationals for Mopar doorslammer fans since way back in the 1970s. How about a win in both Stock and SS?!!! I 'll trade a win in Funny Car away for this any day, but that's just me.

In Stock Elim, Calif driver Larry Gilley in his E/SA Dart beat Darell Steiger in an E/SA Challenger. Both cars are powered by 340" motors and the race was heads-up (no breakout) since they are both in the same class. 3 of the final 4 cars in Stock Elim were Mopars. Steve Wann in his Max-wedge '62 Plymouth was a semi-finalist. The Wann family has been racing Mopars on the West Coast for over 40 years! As far as I know, neither Gilley or Wann get anything from Mopar, other than contingency. Don't know about Steiger. They should all be at the top of the list for factory support now.

In SS, Kevin Helms drove his FSS/E Challenger to the win. The entry list shows the car as a '10 model powered by the 426" motor. I believe that this team does get some factory support from Mopar.

I'll post some pictures of these cars for you all when I get the corresponding issue of "National Dragster" in about 3 weeks. I'll be waiting at my mailbox for it ;).

stroudtom and Mopar Jerry like this.
  2. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Sportsman racing will be televised tonight on Fox Sports 2

Check your local listings for channel number or stream it on the Fox Sport Go app.

Mike

3. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

If you are sure that it is from the US Nationals, then #*+^, I already missed it. I checked the NHRA site as soon as I saw the results and they had US Nationals sportsmen listed for Sept 15 and 18, so I'll get a few more cracks at it. Don't know why I missed yesterday. Eyes ain't as good as they once were :( .

4. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

I did catch the (re)broadcast of the US Nationals Sportsman racing yesterday.

The Stock Elim coverage (final only) lasted less than a minute. The SS Elim coverage (final only) lasted less than a minute. The Hemi shootout got a little more coverage - about 90 seconds including an interview with Jim Daniels.

"Factory Stock Eliminator" (all elimination rounds) got more than 10 minutes of coverage including interview with "Hemi Dave" Barton and how he switched to racing for "Brand C" now. The word "COPO" was mentioned at least 10 times during the coverage, almost to the point of worship. Downright aggravating and disappointing that Mopar is not directing more resources to this Eliminator category.

5. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

As promised, here are the articles from the 9-22-17 issue of "National Dragster" covering their Sportsman racing classes.

First SS..................

ND article on SS Elim @ '17 US Nationals.jpg
    Then Stock Elim..............

ND article - Stock Elim @ 2017 US Nationals.jpg

ND article- 2017 Stock Elim II.jpg

A few more stats from the ND coverage;

Steve Wann whose 413" powered '62 Plymouth made it to the Semis won the A/SA class trophy. A/SA was the largest class with 12 entries. Larry Hill in a 440"powered 'Cuda was the runnerup.

Other Stock class winners were;

E/SA Darrel Steiger in a 340" powered Challenger

F/SA Chuck Beach in a 340" powered '68 'Cuda

G/SA Mitch Kight in a 383" powered '67 'Cuda

K/SA Jim Hale in a 383" powered '66 Belvedere

M/SA Marcus Widuch in a 318" powered '79 Aspen

FS/G Luke Ubelhor in a 345" 2009 Challenger

Automatic/Combo Mark Madison in a '65 Belvedere with a 426" Hemi

We should also give a shout out to Geoff Turk (who is a member of this board) who qualified 3rd in the Factory Stock Showdown with a 8.151 @ 165.92 compared to David Barton's #1 qualifying @ 8.109 @168.39.

stroudtom and Mopar Jerry like this.