Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog for Old Concept Cars

Discussion in 'Photo and Video Lab' started by unclemacosxr/t, May 17, 2015.

1. unclemacosxr/t

unclemacosxr/t New Member

I ran across this cool blog http://oldconceptcars.com I'm sure someone has seen some of those long forgotten oddities but here's a few I found:
    I've been looking for this one for years thinking it had to be here on AllPar but after I inquired about it I began to second guess myself thinking am I too young for "oldtymers"? lol I believe this would be a great idea with todays technology! It reminds me of a mini version of the 70's TV show's ARK II & a dash of an Apple Car. lol ;-)
    1989 Plymouth Voyager III Concept:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1977 Chrysler LeBaron Turbine Concept[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. freshforged

freshforged Well-Known Member

ArkII was an awesome show. Right up there with Jason of Star Command and Land of the Lost.

unclemacosxr/t likes this.
  3. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yep, they lost everything in its development.
    My question with this, without reading the article in several years, what kind of mileage can be had with a small turbine like this, coupled to a turbo to drive electric motors and generator. Talk about a turbo running power generation plant (similar to any gas turbine design), to make power through exhaust heat. I guess how small it would be and whether or not you could get something like one gallon of fuel (of your choice) per hour or less to have a high mileage hybrid setup.

5. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

According to the article, 22 mpg was achieved in testing. They also reduced the turbo lag somewhat, but not completely.

6. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yes, but what about turbine that is much smaller. 22mpg isn't too bad for actual driving a car, I'm talking about a tiny super small turbine that puts out exhaust. The exhaust, which would be hot and very fast could turn an electrical charging system enough to keep a vehicle running because you would be turning generators to keep a charge to the electric engines themselves, and of course charge batteries as needed, but not as many batteries would be needed because the gas turbine engine would be spitting out exhaust to turn turbo generating system. This 22mpg is driving the vehicle, not simply charging a system.

unclemacosxr/t likes this.
  7. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

The Turbine lab was at the end of our race dyno building (Building 135) and when that car came out everybody just loved it. It was absolutely beautiful in person.

Dave Z likes this.
  8. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

They did produce turbine ... tanks. M1 Abrams, to be specific.

22 mpg wasn't bad by any means but EPA-rated 41 mpg K-cars were out in 1982.

Like most of us here, it's said that it went, but it spent decades on the verge of being useful. GM had a similar program. Turbines in passenger cars just weren't meant to be. dana44, your idea might make sense. I have no idea how practical it is. Heat and materials cost were always issues.

Would you rather they spent the cash on turbines or turbos, is one way to look at it...

wtxiceman likes this.
  9. dana44

Ad-Free Member

That mpg is based on a larger turbine and the power to drive the weight of a whole car, I'm talking one that could/would be about one fifth the size, thus a whole lot less fuel requirement, which might be feasible, but, the whole program is gone so it doesn't matter any more.

10. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

It still matters. There are people who know about turbines. Anyway, the people who developed the turbines started out not knowing about them...

I was just saying that in 1981 the decision made sense since the corporation had very few resources. By then, also, the M1 turbine program was already in gear and the tanks were being made.

11. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

It wasn't that the turbine motors were much better on gasoline meage, it was that they could run on other fuels than gasoline like diesel, kerosene, etc.