Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bob Glidden passes away

Discussion in 'Historical' started by Fast Eddie, Dec 18, 2017.

1. BrianinMpls

BrianinMpls Member

Props to a Great mostly non Mopar guy, RIP Bob Glidden!!!

2. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

I met him at Cayuga drag strip in Hamilton when he was running his Arrow and won the championship.1980 I think.great guy,even though he mostly ran Fords.To bad we all get old.

3. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Valued Member
    Level III Supporter

Back in 1978 and 1979 I was running a race dyno at Chrysler doing some engine stuff for him. Ran a 288" engine up to 10,000 rpm....what a riot.
    Bob Glidden Arrow.jpg

4. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Looks like a Plymouth Arrow.

5. Glenn81

Glenn81 Member

An icon for sure in NHRA. RIP Bob Glidden

6. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

7. IronMike3406

IronMike3406 Active Member

Met him numerous times at Bakersfield Famoso Raceway during Pro Stock warm ups he was always a very polite and helpful whenever I approached him a very informative person and didn't mind passing some tidbits along the way. RIP Bob

8. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

That thumping that Glidden gave to the other small block powered cars (particularly "Brand C") with that motor you worked on persuaded NHRA to go ahead and switch back to the 500ci big blocks with no more weight handicaps for Hemis. It showed that when Mopar gets serious and is willing to put in the effort, they can run with and beat the pro-GM stacked decks that are institutionalized in many major US motorsports series. NHRA has stuck to that PS engine formula for over 35 years now even though their new requirements again favor "Brand C", albeit this time I believe that it is unintentional.

RIP, Bob Glidden.....thanks for helping to prove that point.

#9 Beentherebefore, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  9. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

Those pictures of Bob Glidden with the Mopar shirt on reminds me that he was an "advisor" to some Mopar race teams after he quit driving...................maybe around the Millenium. I know he worked with Larry Morgan for awhile. We met him and had a nice chat @ Pomona one year and Mrs BTB got his autograph on a Mopar track handout card. IIRC, he was with Darrel Alderman's team (?) and we've got that card around here somewhere. My memory of the details isn't that clear anymore but if I find that card, I'll post it.

10. hemirunner426

Level 2 Supporter

A local mechanic,engine builder says he has one of Glidden's engines.bought it out of San Air dragstrip in Montreal...do you remember if there were any distinguishing marks or other things to prove it might be one?

11. Beentherebefore

Level III Supporter

GLHS60 likes this.