Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake caliper identification / issues

Discussion in 'PT Cruiser' started by Desertratfink, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Desertratfink

Desertratfink New Member

Well, this quickly North Korean ICBM'd into an argument over nothing.

I found a parts place in town that had a better stock of calipers that were rebuilt by centric. and if I didn't bring back by cores, I am only penalized a total of $40, which isn't going to kill me. At napa its over $100.00 This parts place I got closer to what I have on my car, but yet still far away. I have attached some pics. Maybe someone can assist. Or make me feel better?

If you click on the driver's side caliper photo (the side that actually died on the car) youll see the CAST # is 134469 C and there is a penta-star logo stamped with the manufacture logo of SET? there is also some casting (probable date code numbers in the lower corner.

on the Passenger side...

youll see the CAST # is 134469 B and the manufacture stamp as "LS" or "SI"? and the numbers that I think are date codes in the corner are WAYYYYYYY DIFFERENT on this caliper. While they look similar, they are from two different castings obviously. Both my passenger and driver that are on my PT now look the the DRIVER side replacement that I have that says "SET". Our PT is a 2003, has 4 wheel disc and ABS, which are all off wall options and I guess from what I read and experienced with certain parts 2003, is like a one-year wonder. What do I do here? No one in town rebuilds calipers anymore, I don't like mis-matched crap, and I can't justify paying chrysler $172 for (1) caliper. chrysler also shows a part number of 5017833AA and 5017832AA for a 2003 WITH 4 wheel disc/ABS
    and
    5086361AA and 5086360AA for a 2003 with 4 wheel disc without ABS. yet none of the box stores asked if I had ABS when it came to calipers. They only asked if I had ABS when it came to the brake lines

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Desertratfink

Desertratfink New Member

I am sorry if the beginning of the thread is confusing. I copied this long posting from another post I had on another forum. The members over there are not able to help, and I am not able to edit this one. I didn't realize what the post fully contained as I posted it from my cellphone.

The short story is that I have a 2003 PT limited (loaded with options). 4 wheel disc, with ABS and A/T.
    The lower bolt for the driver side caliper flew out on the highway and the rotor scorned the pads and rotor. I replaced the bolt with a factory one, got new pads and rotors for both sides. installed everything, cleaned all the threads and torqued down the bolts. I was getting a grinding noise and excess metal shavings from the driver side caliper. So, after some research (abs/trac light constantly going off for a year.... bolt backing out, metal shavings, grinding=dead caliper). Autozone, oreily, napa, all have rebuilt factory calipers. but none match and non ask if there is ABS on the car or not. some have weird coatings on them, etc... The post above has more concerning information about my question. Thank you for any help you guys can give. I must get this sorted out and fixed ASAP

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. AFAIK, all 4-wheel disc PTs were ABS (BRT). The only non-ABS was the disc/drum setup (BRB).
    The turbo PT GT had performance 4-wheel disc w/ABS (BR4).

Sales codes:
    [BRB]=POWER FRONT DISC/REAR DRUM
    [BRT]=ANTI-LOCK 4-WHEEL DISC
    [BR4]=ANTI-LOCK 4-WHEEL DISC, PERFORMANCE

It looks like the same frt caliper part numbers were used on non-turbo disc/disc and disc/drum cars. The turbos (disc/disc) had larger frt brakes.
    See figure 5-105 for the 2003 PT front brake part numbers and applications here:
    http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Chrysler_Service_Parts_Catalog/CD4/02-05/03pt.PDF

Hardware kit is item # 8. If the bolts are the wrong length, possibly the sliders are a different length? Get the hardware kit as a complete kit so that everything (should) match. With the aftermarket, rebuilds can be difficult to get in a matched set. They rebuild left and right sides and sell what fits.

Avoid non-OEM parts. Always look for 'OEM' in the part description.

4. Desertratfink

Desertratfink New Member

This is the info I was able to locate.
    However, the question that still lingers off on the distance is why all box stores and OEM core rebuilders are offering the passenger side caliper under a B casting revision instead of the C revision as opposed to the driver side? And why does the B revision caliper have the cast manufacture or code LS or SL vs the driver or C revision as SET? It's very confusing!!!!!

5. Desertratfink

Desertratfink New Member

THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER ENDED A WEEK AGO! I put them on the PT, and they work GREAT!​

[​IMG]
    Turns out, I wasn't over thinking it. Would the B caliper work? Probably, but thats besides the point. I don't want mis-matched crap on my car, as does anyone else. Nor do I want to pay a dealer 3x for the SAME part. Centric rebuilds for dealers. In fact, the rebuild kit from Chrysler, comes from centric. the kit that was used on these calipers, has the same factory stamping as the ones I took off the car. The C stamping likely came from the Mexico plant that produced the CAR as a whole and for the time period as in relation to the NON GT/ABS combo. So also in other words, when the car is also worth 1.8 million dollars, and I am the only guy with matching factory C stamped calipers, I can laugh as I drive across the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance with the hatch door half way open as $100 bills slowly fly out from there being too much money stuffed in there. All because I'm the only guy that paid attention to this, and kept my cores. So, I have two sets. And I can auction the next set off... If I can't find C stamped calipers anywhere... that means there aren't 1) that many in existance or 2) they were built so good, that there are not that many to give as cores to rebuild and that would explain the massive influx of B stamped calipers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Desertratfink

Desertratfink New Member

I like how no one has replied in 25 days..... I figured this out on my own. In am emergency, my Mopar friends left me to ponder alone while under duress. Is it because it was PT Cruiser related?

7. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

My thought is you focused on a distinction that was not a real difference.
    Here is the way part numbers should work, should also be true for casting numbers
    If a minor change is made, the revision level is changed, as in from B to C. In this case, the base part number remains the same and, while Rev C may have improvements made, it is backwards and forwards compatible with Rev B.
    If it is a case the new part is not backwards compatible, it is assigned a new part number rather a revision of an existing part.

pt006 and Doug D like this.