Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake line fitting question / proportioning valve

Discussion in 'Vans' started by tonyvisone, Oct 23, 2017.

1. tonyvisone

tonyvisone New Member

desperate for help here...

i replaced all the brake lines in this 1977 B300 motor home

when i finished, fluid was leaking from the proportioning valve where it goes off to the rear axle. i tried tightening the fitting a lot and it still leaked. i removed it and noticed that the female fitting had an indent on the nipple. see the left fitting in the picture below.

then i noticed that i reused the right threaded brake fitting, but not the exact one. the exact one had the raised area on it (circled in picture below).

now i dont know if it was leaking because i had the wrong fitting or when i swap the right one on is it still going to leak if i made that indent from overtightening the wrong fitting.

i cant find the right female threaded part anywhere. i bought a whole new valve off ebay but its slightly different.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet (at https://imgur.com/a/6Xvj2 )

2. tonyvisone

tonyvisone New Member

3. tonyvisone

tonyvisone New Member

same picture again. trying to get this to work

[​IMG]

4. tonyvisone

tonyvisone New Member

so my question is. can anybody tell me if that female fitting is supposed to be dented or not? and if not, where i can get a new one?

5. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. It looks like you have 2 different styles of flares. Can you re-use the old fittings? Do you have a flaring tool that can form Bubble (ISO) or Double-Flare (inverted) ends on the new line? Male and female styles must match.
    Brake+Line-Flare+Options.+Remleiding+Fels+Opties+verschillen+247autoholic+Blog.jpg
    Being a 1-ton truck, it may have lines not normally found on passenger cars or light-duty trucks.
    Is it 3/16" or 1/4" brake line?
    Is there a Mopar part # on your rear proportioning valve? I don't see it in the 1982 parts manual and that is as far back as I can see. The parts manual only shows a rear axle line 'tee' or junction that is part of the rear brake hose.