AF: Brake pipe union adapter | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake pipe union adapter

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by valcuda, Jul 31, 2019.

1. valcuda

valcuda Member

My RHD Barracuda has these brake pipe union adapters going into the master cylinder. The male thread into the M/C is 1/2" X 20INV, the female thread mating with the brake pipe union is, I believe, 3/8" X 24UNF. The brake pipe is standard 3/16" OD. Is this an arrangement peculiar to RHD cars, ie, not having a direct connection with a single union? Or do any LHD cars have this sort of thing? My reason for asking is that such adapters are not available in England and my parts supplier here likes to have a car make/model before ordering things in!

(PS The M/C equates with one for a RHD Rambler but I've not seen any pictures of RHD Rambler engine bays.)

bay4.JPG

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

I doubt that those are factory. More like they were used to make the different size port threads work in this application. It looks safe enough.

3. Junkman George

Junkman George Active Member

You are looking at adapters, to make an aftermarket master cylinder fit multiple applications, supplied with the master cylinder at time of purchase.
    I haven't seen this for years, but I remember installing such a master cylinder, maybe OEM Bendix? I'd be fairly certain that new ones are not an option, unless you can strike something in an old time garage, or in a box of junk stuff someone has hanging around.

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

5. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

If you go that route, make SURE the flaring tool is for brake lines, specifically. A conventional tubing flaring tool will NOT work with brake lines.