Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake squeal.

Discussion in '200, Avenger/Sebring, Cirrus/Stratus/Breeze' started by captn, Aug 19, 2017.

1. captn

captn Active Member

2011 Chrysler 200 - Rear Brakes - Removed the two outside 14mm bolts turned and rested the caliper assy on top of the disc and popped out the two pads. Removed the two pads and have lots of meat and are smooth and the rotor is smooth with very slight lip at the outside. All the brake jobs I have done these look great and going to reinstall.

Now the squealing issue maybe someone help. The pads are dry and have no lub on them and my feeling is to apply a fine layer of Permatex hi temp grease to the edges that come in contact with the caliper hoping this is were the squeal is coming from.

Any thoughts please.....

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Absolutely brake grease helps to dampen vibration. Grease the pad mounting surfaces and the pad 'apply' pressure points. Pump the pedal before starting out on a road test in order to seat the pads.
    A lot of aftermarket 'stop-squeal' products at the auto parts stores are snake oil. You shouldn't need them. I like the new ceramic linings as they keep the black wheel dust down.
    Dry pads can squeal like a chalkboard.

3. captn

captn Active Member

Hey thanks Bob, Got everything back together with fine layer of grease at the points you mentioned. I was just going to look up the touque specs for the 14mm bolts and the wheel bolts, do you have them handy?

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Rear caliper guide bolts are 32 ft/lbs (43 N.m). Wheel lug nuts are 100 ft/lbs (135 N.m).

5. captn

captn Active Member

Thanks for the info Bob. All done front and back, no more squeaking.
    I have notes if anyone needs this fix, please pm me....

pt006 likes this.