Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brakes...Again..

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by saltydog, Nov 9, 2011.

1. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

Well the brakes are shot on the front again! Frist time was at 11k miles and now have just over 19k and the front are grinding again! Geezzz.....

So dealer is reapriing the brakes with new Rotors and Pads, but really? second brake job on a car with less then 20k miles is just nuts! They did check the rear brakes and all is good(I hear there are some that have sticking calipers)

So I hope these will last a bit longer then before. Will update when I get the car back.

I am really trying to love this car, but the brake issues are driving me nuts.....

2. saltydog

Ok got the car back and spent the $50 buck on the brake repair. The brakes do feel much better, but I hope they last. Dealer told me they used updated parts this time, as for last time they did not use updated parts....

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The latest update on this was issued Feb,'11 on TSB # 05-003-11. Front brake issues are now hopefully solved and have a reported 3/36 warranty. Keep your paperwork. Your last thread on this was probably using the old parts.

4. saltydog

Will keep all paper work. They did say the parts have been upgraded, so we shall see how they last.

5. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Anybody have specifics on this TSB? I'd like to be armed with as much info as possible when I take our '10 Journey SXT FWD in for brake service when it's time.

6. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Google: Chrysler TSB #05-003-11. It was availible out there for viewing. I don't believe that the 2010 JC's were affected.
    P.S.- TSB # 05-004-11 covered 2010 JC's for front brake rotor pulsation issues.

7. Jeff2KPatriotBlue

Jeff2KPatriotBlue Radioactive

Mrs. rented a Journey R/T last week... she commented that it stopped very quickly. (*compared to her daily driver 2005 Grand Caravan with new rears this past spring and new fronts this week)

8. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

Jeff, I'll agree with that. It took some time to get used to the sensitivity of our Journey's brake pedal after giving up our 06 Caravan.

9. juma1998

juma1998 Moparaholic

BRAKKKKKESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

The Journey loves brakes NEARLY as much as gas! I have an 09 w/ 62k on the clock...

Front Brakes - Pads and Rotors done at about 11,500 miles. I knew I had to get them done under warranty still! Everyone say they were so bad.

Rears done about 35k miles.

Front and Rear both done again at 62k. The fronts wore MUCH better. With about 50k miles on the clock they still had about 20% left! I couldn't believe the rears were down to like 5% with only 25k miles :(

10. saltydog

Well my rear brakes are acting up now, I have a horrid viberation when braking! Grrrr.....

11. juma1998

juma1998 Moparaholic

Brakes are ridiculous now-a-days. This ISN'T a Chrysler ONLY issue. Even the almighty PERFECT Honda is having brake issues. I has to be from junk components... I see NO reason why rear brakes would be worn out in 25k miles though!

12. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

It seems that ever since asbestos was banned as brake material (quite some time ago for very good reason - cancerous) quality brake pads are hard to find. It doesn't help with cheap rotors on the market.

Through trial and error with my Ram, I've decided I'm going back to Ma MoPar for the parts. The brakes on the Ram worked fine for the first 66K miles. Every set of pads (NAPA, Wagner) since then has warped the rotors within 15K-20K of replacement. The only set that hasn't warped are the rears - rear pads and rotors replaced at 90K and they haven't warped yet.

We've got 40K on the '10 Journey now. Not sure when or if the brakes have ever been serviced. Picked it up used with 30K on it when we had to trade our '09 Journey in (CAN C bus failure). Ever since we've had it the brakes have been a bit "noisy" (vibration) but they do work rather well. Will probably have to have then serviced before the annual state inspection due in March. Plus it will need new tires. (Ugh!) At least the 17" are more readily available than the 19" and I'm not going with Kumho - they sucked. The OEM Kumho's were just about worn out on our '09 at 47K. For comparison, I managed to get 111,000 out of the OEM Michelins on my '06 Ram.

13. imaso001

imaso001 New Member

I have my own brake problems with the Journey. First set lasted between 17-20k and had to be replaced. I was reimbursed by Chrysler minus a 50 dollar deductible. That set was put on the beginning of 2011, in February or March I believe. In September 2011, I had the rotors turned because they started the shake and scream routine again. That worked for a couple months and now the brakes are totally shot again. The vehicle has about 45k on it now and I just ordered a set of EBC 3GD slotted and dimpled rotors with green stuff pads for all 4 wheels. The website placeforbrakes.com has a deal going on with 21% off EBC orders over 200 dollars. This saved me 143 dollars with a total price of about 540.00. I will let everyone know how these brakes work out once I get them installed on the Journey.

14. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

It's wise not to have rotors turned anymore. The heat treated surface is so thin, you will be using the softer metal underneath after turning, which is why they warp quickly after resurfacing.

15. saltydog

I have yet to replace my rear brakes, not sure what to put back there, however going to have to get this done soon as the pads already down 50-60% and with only 17k miles on the rear pads/rotors.

Front brakes seem to be ok, for now.

16. saltydog

Ok just ordered new rotors and pads for the rear, got some Raybestos HD rotors and ceramic pads. Hopefully they will last a but longer the 17k miles.

I did talk with Chrysler in regards to all the brake issues I have had and did not get any where with that, frankly I am to tired and wore out to keep battling with this, my time is better spent on other things.

17. Jeff2KPatriotBlue

Jeff2KPatriotBlue Radioactive

I had a pad crack on my Neon (2000) at about 35000 km (less than one year). I was told that brakes are wear-and-tear, and are only warranted for 20000 km.

I don't think that a cracked pad is "wear", and is more likely due to a defect in materials.... like Jaime, I only had so much energy to argue that... I just bought new pads elsewhere.

18. saltydog

Took some time today and changed out the rear brakes, was pain but nonetheless it's done and I now have smoothness once again! Very impressed with the quality of the parts from Raybestos. While I was in there did some cleaning.

[​IMG]

19. saltydog

So far they are working very good! Smooth, been a while since they where this nice.

I got to thinking last night and I am thinking the reason the brakes wear so quick is due to the design of the parking brake mechanism. It uses a ratchet style piston that will self adjust as the brakes wear, well as went to remove the caliper, there was a good amount of pressure on the pads, making removal difficult. The only to retract the piston is by twisting/ranching the piston the opposite way(royal pain to do) So I am thinking the system keeps a bit more pressure on the pads then a traditional system would.
    My Sebring parking brake is a separate drum with in the rear rotor, much better in my opinion.

20. saltydog

So I have noticed that brakes have a oder, almost like they are getting to hot? Is this normal with ceramic?