Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brakes...Again..

Discussion in 'Dodge Journey' started by saltydog, Nov 9, 2011.

1. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Fresh brakes may smell for a couple of days as grease, wax, etc burns off the pads and rotors.
    Have you tried the parking brake since the new pads? Pulling the lever should adjust the mechanism and hold the vehicle. The p/brake must release as well.

2. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

Yes I have used the parking brake, seems to hold just fine. Will monitor the smell.

3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I've never used ceramic pads but I have noticed a slight odor from new brake pads after seating them. It usually goes away within a few uses. I don't believe the rotors should get "hot" - warm yes, but not "hot". If they smell "hot", then you may need to recheck your installation or maybe the calipers are "sticking".

4. saltydog

The smell is almost not noticible any more! So that's good! And man are they smooth!

5. saltydog

So the saga continues....yesterday while we where driving, we noticed smoke bellowing out of the rear wheels!

The parking brake had adjusted itself so tight that they where dragging. The pads do not have a dowl to keep the piston from rotating in the wrong direction, Nice!

So at the moment trying to make this work....

6. saltydog

Well my dad and made progress, we where able to bend part of the metal tab and it fit perfectly into the piston slot, so that should keep the piston from rotating.

Very sick of the brake issues with this car, going tomorrow and look at Caravans.

7. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Just so you know, but the brakes on the '09+ Caravans are basically the same as those on the Journey's..........

8. mastertech10

mastertech10 Member

ok my first question for you is did you wind the piston back far enough? ive had some ppl come into my shop after doing the rear brakes on a jc or rt and they either forced the caliper over the pads and obviously it sticks on or ppl wind them back too far and the pedal sinks!!

just curious dis you clean the shims? or did you get new shims and also did you clean the rust out underneath and grease aswell?

this is the issue with the brakes they need to be serviced twice a year, are you in canada or a northern state?

9. saltydog

Well that's a bummer...

10. saltydog

In CA no rust issues. However I did replace the shims and I did clean the caliper and grease everything.

The brakes are seeming to work ok thus far, but the main issue was that all the pads I looked at did not have the dowl to fit with in the piston to keep it from rotating.

11. saltydog

Week has gone by and no issues, sorta happy!

12. saltydog

As of today, still no issues so that is great! We shall see how long they last. Took a look at the front and they look new, some should have some life in them.

13. RobC

RobC New Member

the word is that most rotors for all makes are coming from China

14. Gavin1973

Gavin1973 New Member

They replaced mine at 10k and at around 20k. I told
    Them to call Chrysler and get a fix. They just ended up replacing the calipers for freee I Have gotten around 40k on them now and still looks good.

15. addicted to dodge

They obviously fixed the problem by 2012. My 12 has never had any brake issues despite the numerous complaints about brakes. My Journey has always had plenty of stopping power. I now have 15,000 miles and my pads are not worn a bit either.

16. Ian

Ian Car Freak

Brakes on Ford don't last either. Rear brakes are a nightmare. Sticking, seizing and wearing out too fast.

17. saltydog

My buddy had a GMC Acadia had a ton of brake issues as well, to me it just wrong! Brakes are somewhat simple, but the manufacture are trying to cut costs, but they should not be doing with brakes.

My 2012 TC is great, no issues at all.

18. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

Recently owned 2006 Dkota SLT Sport V8 CC, no issues, 2008 Ram Sport Hemi SC, no issues, 2009 Grand Cherokee, no issues, 2011 Grand Cherokee, no issues, and now 2014 Grand Cherokee, only software issues. My 2010 Nissan Frontier Ext Cab V6 had the rear brakes changed under warranty in 2012 from cold squealing, under TSB. No more problems.