AF: brakes on a 65 valiant | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

brakes on a 65 valiant

Discussion in 'A Body: Duster, Valiant, Dart, etc' started by kintuh, Mar 29, 2019.

1. kintuh

kintuh New Member

I have changed lines, drums, wheel cylinders, master cylinder and shoes. but the pedal almost goes to floor. is the tab big enough on the brake shoes or did I get the wrong shoes

2. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

If there is no fluid leak, then you did not bleed the air out of the brakes sufficiently. You need to bleed the master cylinder first, then all 4 wheels in this order: right rear, left rear, right front, left front.

Welcome to Allpar!

3. kintuh

kintuh New Member

I have bled the brakes many times and the master cylinder. does the wheel cylinder have plungers in them that connects to the brake shoe?because the brake shoe is coming out but I do not think it can extend anymore

4. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

Wheel cylinders should look like this:
    Advance Auto Parts - Down for Maintenance (at https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-wearever-drum-brake-wheel-cylinder-wca37785/3640566-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=3640566-P&adtype=pla_with_promotion&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhPfkBRD0ARIsAAcYycEry55ixBdWCRely9hyG3w-SHKd0iNRyU_dU5PQ2eWYSpArlx5WJjQaAuW1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds )

and have a piston inside the housing on each end, with a rubber boot that seals the brake fluid inside. These pistons press on tabs on each brake shoe.
    And the master cylinder MUST be bled after replacement, and it MUST be bled before any of the wheels are bled.
    Did you perform the starwheel adjustment on the brake shoes after you put the brake drums back on? They must be adjusted so that the brakes drag slightly when turning the drum by hand, then back off just enough to release the drag. Then bleed the brakes.
    What procedure are you using to bleed the brakes?

5. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

I second what Bob Lincoln stated. One way to determine if the brakes are not adjusted is to clamp off all three rubber brake hoses: if the pedal is firm, that pretty much clear the hyrdaulic system as the cause. OTOH, if the pedal still sinks, there's air somewhere in the system. NOTE: NOT common but, the replacement master cylinder could be defective from new.............

6. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Wrong shoes are possible. Do you still have the old shoes for comparison? There were 9" and optional 10" brakes. Are the shoes adjusted up against the inside of the drums, just to where they begin to rub?
    If you pump the brake pedal, does the pedal begin to come up?
    This can be a hydraulic (no fluid pressure) or mechanical (too much pushrod/wheel cylinder travel) issue.
    The '65 Mopar parts catalog doesn't show extension rods coming out of the Valiant/Dart wheel cylinder (see p. 5-2). There were 9" and optional 10" brakes available. Make sure that you have the right parts.
    1965 Mopar Parts Book

saltydog likes this.
  7. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

Make sure the shoes are not installed backwards. Small shoe to the front on my car. These are front 10" on my 68 Cuda. Not sure if they are the same for 65.
    brake.jpg

8. kintuh

kintuh New Member

it looks like I am missing the little pushrods coming out of the wheel cylinder like in the picture on cuda pete reply

9. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Do you have the 9" or 10" front brakes? 1965 parts book doesn't list the Barracuda. His is a 1968 and will have differences.
    Are there 'sockets' in your wheel cylinder pistons for rods, or are they flats for pushing on the edge of a shoe?

10. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

I'm hoping he hasn't stepped on the brake pedal with the drum off, since he said:

"the brake shoe is coming out but I do not think it can extend anymore"

11. kintuh

kintuh New Member

no I did not step on the brakes with the drum off but with an assit. the drum will not turn. I did not check the cylinders to see if they are flat or sockets. when I bled my brakes I used a vacuum pump. and started right rear and so on. it just seems that the cylinder has to far to travel. need help don't know where to turn

12. CudaPete

Ad-Free Member

The push rods do not come with the new wheel cylinders. You need to re-use the originals.

13. Bob Lincoln

Level 2 Supporter

You didn't say if you bled the master cylinder FIRST. That is mandatory; then the 4 wheels have to be bled after that.

14. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

One thing I've been known to do, if nothing else seemed to work is to gravity bleed the wheel cylinders. As Bob Lincoln pointed out, start with the furthest cylinder from the master cylinder, by opening the bleeder screw and, make darn sure to NOT let the master run dry. Then bleed the remaining WC's that same way.