AF: Brampton Question | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brampton Question

Discussion in 'Rumors and General Chrysler Discussion' started by ShawnP, Oct 16, 2020 at 5:21 PM.

1. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

FCA once promised Brampton Assembly a new paint shop.

I checked on Google Maps and it looks tight.

Where would a new paint shop be physically located?

2. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

New paint shop doesn't need to be a new building.

3. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

And Brampton is still waiting. What's it been? 32 years? Certainty they have made enough money from this plant that they could treat it to something they promised. After all in the grand scheme of things it is one of their newer plants.

thebluegoat likes this.
  4. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

AlfaCuda, jimboy and Tony K like this.
  5. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

How long would a switchover take?

6. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Well-Known Member

Were they not suppose to get hand me down equipment from sterling heights when they were done with the equipment because some of it was not able to be used on a truck assebmley line? Or atleast that's what I loosely remember from last negotiations.

Should have put focus on brampton this time imo.

7. 55Plaza

55Plaza Well-Known Member

The Union deal with FCA is a different "derivative" or "top hat" of its vehicles will be made in Brampton every year of the three-year agreement.
    The tentative deal also offers something for workers in the casting plant in Etobicoke.
    And plans to invest up to $1.5 billion at the Windsor assembly plant. The factory will have two platforms, one for the Pacifica and Voyager minivans and a new platform set to launch in 2024 with at least one plug-in hybrid or battery-powered electric vehicle.
    Unifor reaches tentative deal with Fiat Chrysler, automaker to invest up to $1.5B (at https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/unifor-reaches-tentative-deal-with-fiat-chrysler-automaker-to-invest-up-to-1-5b-1.5146091 )

Dave Z likes this.
  8. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

Yes, there have been a few proposals to build the new paint shop in existing space without interfering with current paint processes. These always fall to the wayside and $$$ spent elsewhere. To me it shows the indifference the company holds for the LX line. IMO a top of the line rear drive V8 sedan with an interior to match their trucks still would find a big market. The current LX’s are way too old and a new color of paint offered, or new wheels don’t cut it.

9. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

I can see on the LX cars but they are still good sellers here in the Midwest and considered "cool" cars.

Tony K likes this.
  10. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

I will give them credit. They could've just as easily shut it all down and exited the cars altogether, but they haven't. The mistake they are making IMHO is not even altering the front or back or changing the interiors. Do something so customers have a reason to buy a new one.

AHBGuru likes this.
  11. rapidtrans

They’re kind of a cliche around here. Ride of choice for the punk and thug wannabes. Serious mature buyers have moved on.

valiant67 likes this.
  12. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Too many people are acting out the Dodge commercials on the streets.

cdjr77, rapidtrans and Adventurer55 like this.
  13. somber

somber 370,000 miles

I think the SXT front on the Charger looks really nice. The street racers around here go for the bandit face, which IMO makes the car look cartoonish.

valiant67 likes this.
  14. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Well, the Pursuit/Enforcer remains the office for thousands of reckless and immature state troopers and Canadian Mounties, too. It's definitely their Ride of Choice.

15. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Indiana State Police does a pretty solid job of weeding out the "reckless and immature" types before or during their academy training. They actually have a pretty solid reputation in LE circles. Can't necessarily state the same for the local and county deputies, but I knew several academy instructors from my days scheduling ranges at a military base here. IN DNR Law academy takes it a step further.

AHBGuru likes this.
  16. jclick

jclick Well-Known Member

300 with a new modern interior could easily continue a bit.

17. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

My reply was tongue in cheek, as the customers for the Charger are still very diverse.

I have a classmate who teaches at the Academy near me. They snagged one of the first V8 LX cars the State Patrol got back in 2007. He said the switch from the Crown Vic to the Dodge required a big change in training protocol. Naturally, the state bought V6 cars, until 2016, when the AWD Charger got the bid, which meant more tweaks to their curriculum, as the fleet began its transition away from the Exploder, to the Dodge and also the Tahoe for DOT Inspectors.

Tony K likes this.
  18. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

I'm somewhat opposite of you. I think the SXT front looks bland, like a generic brandless car.

19. rapidtrans

FWIW
    The closest they came to a new paint shop was in 2011. They announced they were about to spend $400 million for a new shop. Let me guess. Was that a contract year?
    Last time I was in that plant the original Binks booths I detailed back in the early 80s were still in use.

20. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Kinda hard to read sarcasm in text absent other cues.

rapidtrans likes this.