Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand X having more problems

Discussion in 'Police, Taxis, Ambulances, etc' started by AHBGuru, Jul 28, 2017.

1. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Contrary to popular belief, the Ford Exploder has had many maintenance and design issues since its releases, including police vehicles.

After a quicky refresh for 2016, which only partly solved transfer case and transmission failures, and a drainage issue (water on the floor was a common complaint), Ford then had to recall almost the entire Interceptor fleet for fuel pump failure that left thousands of officers stranded.

Next up - a life-threatening design flaw affecting both retail and fleet customers:
    Carbon Monoxide.

If anyone owns one of these, please pay careful attention to this article !

NHTSA expands investigation of possible carbon monoxide leaks in Ford Explorers (at http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ford-explorer-carbon-monoxide-leaks-expanding-investigation/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6a&linkId=40303300 )

DC-93 and wtxiceman like this.
  2. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Washington state now has state patrol officers that have been hospitalized for carbon monoxide issues from explorers. I expect there will be a recall issued soon. Too many similar occurrences happening.

3. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Austin TX also pulled theirs off the road.

4. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

5. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Ford is scrambling. Here's what they are claiming at this point:

- Interceptor Utilities only

- Cracked exhaust manifolds

- They are paying for the fix(es

Here's the truth -

- The NHTSA has not finished its investigation, to determine the source(s) of the problem (s), and the actual years and models involved.

- These cars are notorious for body leaks. It's a structural design defect. A cracked exhaust manifold would generally allow exhaust gasses (which contain an odor) to escape, so on the cars setting off CO detectors, many are reporting no odor. The same exhaust manifolds are also used in the Taurus, which shares its platform with the Exploder. Why no issues with the Taurus? This isn't adding up, mechanically.

- Ford does not have confirmation from NHTSA as to what the real problem is, so they cannot yet claim a sufficient repair can be made.

We will see just what happens. This may be a huge opportunity for Dodge to gain some market share, provided they really get with the program, and use the absolute best quality parts and the highest quality assembly. If they'll hold together and not be in the shop more than once a month, they'll sell all they can make.

Bearhawke and AvengerGuy like this.
  6. pt006

pt006 Active Member

A cop in Auburn Mass. recently caused an accident and was taken to the hospital. He tested positive for carbon monoxide poisoning. They are putting CO detectors in the Exploders. Not sure if they took them off the road yet.

7. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

A LOT of my friends in LE have been saying the exact same things about their assigned Utilities..............def a bad situation here.

8. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Wow!

Sergio is less inclined to go for typically lower Margin fleet sales, if he is selling all he can at retail.

I do like seeing Mopar cop cars, but I see his point. If you can only produce "this" many cars per month, and you are pretty much selling all you can at retail, why chase fleet?

DC-93 likes this.
  9. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

They are trying to reduce rental fleet sales, not government fleets.

The Pursuit is much like an SRT vehicle - it's a "halo" car. They've held the top-selling police sedan spot beginning in 2012. The AWD Pursuit, at $3000 less (starting bid price) less than the Exploder, has been taking tasty bites into both Exploder and Tahoe sales (the Taurus Interceptor is being replaced by the lighter-duty Fusion).

They continue to improve the cars every year. I'd like to see them adopt the 300's C-pillar, for rear seat access. A tad more ground clearance. Definitely stiffer suspension bushings - or have the engineers go with something lighter and simpler. I'm thinking of transverse t-bars, with beefed alloy LCA's and tension struts to locate 'em.
    Clean up the chin and front bumper cover a bit, these are police cars, not fashion statements. More cushioning in the front seats. Tighter (heavier) steering, with good on-center feel. Less understeer.

I don't ask for much, do I ?

;)

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  10. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

Add a straight axle in lieu of the present IRS; far fewer parts to go bad and, no more camber/toe issues.

DC-93 likes this.