AF: Brands of Gasoline | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brands of Gasoline

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by dodgeismycar, Aug 2, 2020.

1. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member

I would like to get opinions on the qualities of the branded, ie Shell,etc, fuels.
    I notice a difference when I use BP vs. Costco or BJ's. What do you think is the better fuel, branded or non-branded and what experience have you had with fuel quality?
    Thanks everyone!

2. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

I stick with Shell and BP around here. Shell premium at my local stations has 0% ethanol in it. BP has 10%. I use Shell with 0% ethanol in all my gasoline powered equipment that sits for a week or more. I read a report from some Chrysler engineers recommending Shell, BP and Sunoco as they have the best blend and are consistent as opposed to some of the lesser brands and Quick-Mart type places.

DC-93 and wolfsblood07 like this.
  3. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

I bought a new base Monte Carlo with the "3100" V6 in 1998 and used bargain gas in it most of the time. By 2003 when I traded it in the engine was gunked up.
    Since then I have never put anything but brand name gas in my cars. 99% of the time I use Shell because I believe what they say about it being high quality. I use 87 octane Shell gasoline in my 3.6 liter Avenger. I gladly pay a few cents more per gallon compared to the cheap gas.

AvengerGuy and DC-93 like this.
  4. desavona

desavona Active Member

I try to use Top Tier gasoline. Cost increase is generally minimal and before when I used cheap gas I would have sensors going off after awhile that went away after I treated the fuel tank. So now I use Top Tier (Usually Shell but not exclusively) and haven’t had any issues.

wolfsblood07 and DC-93 like this.
  5. LeeRyder

LeeRyder Well-Known Member

Go to the refinery, watch the trucks line up and fill.
    Regardless of brand, they all use the exact same gas.
    The only caveat would be budget brands as they may not be filtering fuels at each station effectively.

6. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I generally get fuel at Sheetz, Wa Wa or Murphy's. The only tier 1 station is Shell and on average they are 20 cents per gallon higher. Occasionally I will get Shell gasoline. Have never had a fuel related issue in any vehicle I have owned.

Only Wa Wa and Murphy's have non-ethanol fuel (87 octane) available. I use this for my small engines (lawn mowers). It runs about 50-60 cents a gallon more than 87 octane E10.

7. DC-93

DC-93 Well-Known Member

BP has the best additive package.

In addition to what was stated above, the Chrysler test was done randomly at various stations. All gas, at the pump, is not created equal.

Incidentally, BP was tops.

dodgeismycar likes this.
  8. ShawnP

ShawnP Active Member

Good luck with Kroger 89 in Brandenburg, Kentucky. Always 30 cents cheaper than Indiana.

About every 3 months I put 2 big bottles of Lucas Fuel Cleaner in (local product as I am close enough to hear the plant) and 2 gallons of racing fuel. I then open the Hemi up on I-64 to triple digits.

I track everything on the Ram and my mpg hasn't went down one bit in 5 years.

9. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

I wish we had a Chevron station. We use to. Chevron developed Techron (fuel additive cleaner) they put in all grades of fuel.

Yes, the major difference between the cheaper fuels and tier 1 is the additives. To be honest I can't tell the difference when I use the tier 1 fuels.

Son has a '16 WRX (turbo) and he uses Shell 93 octane. When he uses 92 octane he can tell the difference.

10. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Shell for me i get the most knock, kroger, wawa, and raceway i used to use a bit and never had issues. Now i use a local place back home that i can add some e85 to the tank. My car is tuned and i can see when i have knock so i know what gas around me does best. Right now i have a mixture of sunoco and marathon but haven't got on the car yet to see what that does, sunoco is noramlly pretty good too

11. redhed

Level III Supporter

Stick with brands on toptiergas.com and you'll probably be fine.

AvengerGuy and desavona like this.
  12. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

BP is relatively cheap around here for premium, which is what I need. I should move over to BP knowing what Chrysler knows...

Chevron is good for me when I can get it. I won't use Shell due to their involvement in genocide. Mobil used to be good but ExxonMobil, not so much.
    Lately, to be honest, I've been using the “mart” gas ... can't recall the name of the store, it's like 7-11 and such, but with Quick or Speed or something ... prices are really good, works well with the Fiat engine, and the people are nice, and they have a free air machine and always have windshield washer stuff. However, I do make sure I get a good solid tankful of BP or Amoco or Chevron now and then to clean out the injectors and such. All fuels have detergent, but not all have the best detergent.

Delta doesn't seem great, but it's far better than Valero. I won't use the Russian gas because, well, Putin. (Can't recall the name of that one.)

The branded stations tend to use the branded trucks, but sometimes the cheaper branded stations, e.g. right on the main highway at the border with another state, get generic gas.

13. willy4110

willy4110 Well-Known Member

Could you please elaborate on the Shell and genocide connection?

14. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

#14 MJAB, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  15. rapidtrans

I used think any brand was ok in a daily driver and on a road trip figuring I go through the fuel fast enough.
    My car recommends 91 octane or better and will develop a stumble upon cold start and a loss in fuel economy using off-brands or lower octane.
    Fuel may start at the same refinery but the additives the big names use make their product better and consistent. Then you have the conditions of some of these off brand’s tanks. Condensation, water, in the fuel has played hell with a few of my cars. Fuel injected turbos in particular.

16. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

I only use branded gas.
    All gasoline is the same, stored in the same tanks when unloaded from ships or pipelines. Then the delivery trucks add the brand additives that distinguish their performance.
    I don't know where they stand today, but I do know that an engineer who worked for me in the mid-90s had called on Mobil, one of our customers. He found that at that time, Mobil was the only brand that was using the same level of detergent in all 3 grades of its gas. All other brands reduced the detergent with each step down in grade. Shell then followed Mobil, and perhaps today they all use the same amount. But there is value in the additives that brand names give you.

17. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member

Do you think an additive is a good idea? It is for my 2017 Grand Caravan and 2017 5.7 300. I use BP almost all the time but after I filled up at my BJ,s the Caravan just didn't run right.

18. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Gasoline is the biggest marketing scam of the century. As Bob mentioned, all gasoline comes off the exact same ships, is pumped through the same pipes and is stored in the same tanks.

In grad school some fellow students did an in-depth study of the local refineries. Although we were a town of only 45,000 people —back in the early 1990s— we had —and still have— a dozen refineries within a 50-mile radius. In any event, interviewing the local refineries, truck drivers and gas stations, they found that competitive “brands” would regularly supply each other’s gas depending on whose trucks were when and where. Often times stations got supplied in the middle of the night, when we are all sleeping, so we can’t see the Chevron truck pumping gas into the BP tanks; other times the trucks are not even identified with any particular brand.

I’ve been using generic gasoline for the past 20+ years without any issues. It is a heavily regulated industry. They all pour exactly the same, burn exactly the same, and go into the atmosphere exactly the same. The only difference is the color of the station and the size of the hole it leaves in your wallet.

19. rapidtrans

True. And then the additives, detergents etc are added at the pump.

DC-93, wolfsblood07 and aldo90731 like this.
  20. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

2016 - "AAA FUEL QUALITY RESEARCH: Proprietary research into the effectiveness of fuel additive packages in commercially-available gasoline"
    https://www.aaa.com/AAA/common/AAR/files/Fuel-Quality-Full-Report.pdf

Also, even if the fuel arrives from same refinery the quality can be not the same since production of the blends can be variable.
    Than there is also a problem of contanmimants, residues, ... of refinery tanks, transport tanks, gas station tanks, ... and the way the gast station owners manage the gas station tanks after tanks are refilled.

rapidtrans likes this.