AF: Brands of Gasoline | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brands of Gasoline

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by dodgeismycar, Aug 2, 2020.

1. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

If the quality of gas is going to depend on each station owner/manager, that means the exact same brand of gas can have different "quality" in different stations.

redhed likes this.
  2. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

rapidtrans and aldo90731 like this.
  3. aldo90731

Here in the US gas stations are regulated by each individual state, so things vary significantly across state lines.

California, for instance, constantly inspects and monitors that pumps are accurate, prices advertised on the billboard match those on the pump, impact to the environment is being minimized, etc. After a gas station is inspected every pump gets an official seal from the state that guarantees that it meets all regulations; if a seal is broken there is a number you can call to report it.

Of the states I have driven through recently, Utah was the worst: in several instances the prices on the billboard did not match those on the pump, and a few times I got the impression that the machine was overstating how many gallons I had just pumped. With those relaxed regulations, I would imagine "environmental impact" does not make a station owner's top 10 concerns.

Dave Z likes this.
  4. redhed

Level III Supporter

tlc and MJAB like this.
  5. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Nor did my buddy's F350 Diesel like gasoline when his son put gasoline in it by mistake. Had to have the entire fuel system (lines and tank) cleaned out. The shop he had it towed to said it happens more than you think it does.

redhed likes this.
  6. Clinton H Davis

Clinton H Davis Well-Known Member

I made the mistake of stopping and topping off my ‘69 Charger at Arco once back in 2005. Even though I bought their “premium” gas, as I pulled out onto the road, the car sputtered and died. Couldn’t keep it running. Had to push it part way home and pour in octabe boost to get it started.

Had to drain the tank partially and then top it off at Chevron to get it running right again.

With our modern Challengers, the 5.7s we usually ran mid-grade from Chevron, but I tried running the low grade stuff a couple times and actually had the cars cut out on me when I was accelerating. Always ran mid-grade or higher after that.

I try to run Chevron or Shell n all my vehicles now. If I buy Costco gas, I have to buy premium. I avoid most grocery store gas stations.

wolfsblood07 and dodgeismycar like this.
  7. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member

I stated this discussion about the quality of different brands etc, because my 218 Caravan was acting a bit funny. I thought it might be because of the gas i bought at BJ's. I had recently had the oil changed and somehow the ECO button was on. I turned that off and now the van runs noticebly better.
    Any one else have this happen to them.
    Thanks everyone.

somber likes this.
  8. aldo90731

I have the exact opposite issue: when I press the SPORT button —my Spider has no ECO button— the car runs noticeably better... :D

9. rapidtrans

rapidtrans Well-Known Member

My car has all three modes. Yeah, it runs much better in sport mode holding the shift points at higher rpms and the exhaust cut-outs produce a nice burble at idle. I use it all the time running around town. Gas mileage stays the same in any mode on surface streets. Eco mode works best on e-ways with cruise control on. It also modifies trans and a/c operations to max out fuel economy. According to the evic I gained/saved about 20 miles for the entire 16 gal tank. Less than 5% difference from normal mode.

10. Doug D

Except for when I tow or carry heavy loads I have been using 87 octane in my '06 Ram 1500 Hemi. No noticeable difference from my butt-o-meter. Engine runs fine with either octane. Fuel mileage difference is negligible.

11. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

They honestly make no difference as someone related to the industry. People will claim what they want, but there is NO DIFFERENCE in the fuel each company receives. The people who claim are certain thing are just those people stuck in their ways believing one thing they've done and always believing it to be right.

Shell is the same as Arco which is the same as Chevron which is the same as Fred Meyer which is the same as BP which is the same as Costco which is the same as Safeway which is the same Texaco which is the same as 76. No difference among any brands.

But if someone wants to spend much more for the same fuel and it makes you feel better, than the placebo effect is doing it's job.

12. Ernesto

Ernesto Active Member

Bingo! Whats more.

I've watched Citgo in Cicero, Illinois fill Texaco Havoline bottles, Exxon in Baytown, TX fill Shell Rotella bottles and Dexter in New Orleans fill Castrol oil bottles. Mobil 1 comes from one place. Pennzoil full synthetic comes from one place. Who knows who filled that conventional oil bottle one finds on the shelf at Walmart. Same with the gas hauler at one's local gas station.

Valvoline is not going to pay shipping costs to get conventional oil from Kentucky to Houston. They'll call Exxon-Mobil and say, "fill us some bottles." Valvoline might specify an additive package. They might not. A Houston customer might get plain old Mobil in a Valvoline bottle. Engine makers care what the information is in the API circle on the bottle.

Porsche used to name Techron by name to keep injectors clean. I don't know if they still do. I sure wouldn't depend on a Chevron gas station for Techron. I buy Techron myself at Auto Zone on occasion and make sure it enters my tanks.

tlc and aldo90731 like this.
  13. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

The additives are different. Maybe it's the same from the refinery but it's different at some point in time either by the time the company gets it hands on it or when it makes it to the station. Costco for example used to (not sure if they still do) but additives in at the pump.

Bob Lincoln and Doug D like this.
  14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I've bought whatever gas is convenient and inexpensive, some from name brand chains, some from the larger discount chains, etc.
    The only real issue I ran into was on my 1995 Neon. If I constantly filled up with the QT station by my house, no problem. If I constantly filled up at the RT station by work, no problem. But if I switched between the two, around 50 miles into the tank I got a check engine light and a code 21 (O2 senor code). Around 100 miles later it would go out on its own and not be seen again until I switched gas stations.
    One tech I spoke two said the suspected the varying levels of sulfur might have been the cause. Car ran great, gas mileage was great, and it always passed the sniffer test at emissions time.

15. Doug D

Techron is the only additive Chrysler has ever recommended.

vipergg and Ernesto like this.
  16. somber

somber 370,000 miles

Yes. Sometimes my daughter borrows our 2011 Grand Caravan to haul her musical instruments. Usually when she returns it she has set the ECO mode. It runs awful in ECO mode. I wish I could JB Weld the button so it can't be pressed, but my wife wouldn't like the mess I'd make of it.

dodgeismycar likes this.
  17. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

Been using it for years. Put one bottle in after every oil change , usually when I am going on a highway trip . Have never had one fuel system related issue .

Ernesto and rapidtrans like this.
  18. wolfsblood07

wolfsblood07 Active Member

I remember how gas stations were in my youth. In metro Detroit circa 1975 it was basically full service everywhere. You pull in, drive over a cable that rings a bell, stop at a pump, and the guy asks what you want. Regular, unleaded, premium. "Fill 'er up with regular please." While your gas was being pumped they would check your oil and clean your windshield. The pump displays were all mechanical, which I liked.
    When I started driving in 1985 they still had the same gas choices but as I recall most gas stations had only one full service area, the others were self serve. Pretty soon all the gas was unleaded.

19. dodgeismycar

dodgeismycar Well-Known Member

Back in the late 60's, i would get gas at the Hess station down the street from my house.High test gas 101octane was29 cents and the motor oil was in open glass bottles with a funnel top. I remember asking the attendant what type of oil it was. He told me used, recycled oil!!
    Yikes.

wolfsblood07 likes this.
  20. dana44

Ad-Free Member

With more than 40 years of driving, I have always bought the cheapest gas possible and have never really noticed much of a difference one way or the other. My wife's '04 Mini does like Shell gas the best, it does get a couple miles to the gallon better mileage, but other than that, never had an issue with gunking up or sludge, which is more a response to oil vice fuel.