Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Broken trans cooler fitting

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by neoncrazy101, Nov 27, 2017.

1. neoncrazy101

neoncrazy101 Member

Hey guys, I have a broken transmission cooler line fitting that snapped off inside the transmission and left maybe 1mm of the threads exposed. Any hints on how to get the rest off? I tried some screw extractors but they all couldn't get the rest to bulge and I really don't want to have to try to drill it out and cause a bunch of shavings...

BTW, its an 05' Neon ATX.

2. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

Try and apply some heat with a torch to the outside boss area where the cooler lines nipples are threaded into the transmission. The case is aluminum so with some heat it should expand enough and break the bond with the nipples to allow you to use a screw extractor. As you apply heat try and rotate the extractor clockwise and counterclockwise a little bit and work the threads loose. See attached image.
    Transmission Cooler Lines 40TE 41TE.gif

3. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Weld a nut on it.

4. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

The cooler line fitting threads have a threadlock/sealant on the threads. This threadlock can be stiff when cold and softens with heat.
    As Allan suggests, I would try warming the area and then use a screw extracting tool to try and unscrew the broken piece out:
    099198899770.jpg

5. neoncrazy101

neoncrazy101 Member

Thanks guys, I tried the heat unsure if it worked or not but I got the piece out. After heating it up and then after about another 10 min. of me thinking "This extractor is going to snap!" It finally broke the threads loose and I got it out. I was at that point though of, if it breaks it breaks I got nothing to loose at this point lol.

Quick question though, when I get the new one, do I need to use some type of teflon sealing tape or anything?

ImperialCrown likes this.
  6. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

I would suggest you use teflon pipe sealing tape or anti-seize compound to prevent corrosion due to dissimilar metal (steel fitting in aluminum threaded housing).

7. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Threadlocker, just like the original. Loctite is the most popular brand.

ImperialCrown likes this.