Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a 318

Discussion in 'Performance' started by PCRMike, Apr 22, 2017.

1. RalphP

Level 2 Supporter

Something to keep in mind.

At about 355,000 miles the 999/998 in my 1988 Dakota (3 speed auto) decided to start sounding like a cement mixer with just some large chunks of rock in it.

My mechanic came to my house and drove the truck up on the flatbed trailer; he then drove it off at his shop and drove it onto the rack.

He tried replacing the torque converter bolts; no bueno.

So he pulls the torque converter, finds where my transmission leak is (the front pump) and that the torque converter "rattles".

So he pulls the transmission and takes it to his transmission guy.

The transmission guy dumps shrapnel out of the torque converter, and is calling the mechanic a liar for saying he drove it onto the ramp.

The transmission guy's older helper comes over, looks at it, says, "Oh, it's a Torqueflite. Naw, $MECHANIC drove it fine. That don't hardly faze one."

My point? Keep the bands adjusted, keep the fluid and filter changed, don't try to do 5 second 1/4 miles on it in a 2+ ton vehicle, and that sucker MAY outlast you.

(The bad rap most TorqueFlite transmissions have, is more because of people not maintaining them.)

RwP

AHBGuru and PCRMike like this.
  2. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

I agree with you. I have never had trouble out of ours. I just wanted to see if it would handle 400+ horsepower out of a 318 without turning itself into a grenade.

3. PCRMike

I just found it is a 46RH, not a 42RH. I actually looked at it. Lol.

4. PCRMike

727 based. Will have no problem holding the power after it is built.

dana44 likes this.
  5. SE Charger

SE Charger Well-Known Member

6. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Mopar Action is a good sources for information also,[/QUOTE]

Start with MA. Doctor Ehrenberg explains quite clearly that the same (or less) money dumped into a 318 actually makes a 360 even more of a bargain. As he likes to point out, the 360's long arms (stroke) is where the fun comes in. 400 hp in a 360 is a starting point these days.

Or, a newer (09+) Eagle Hemi would liven things up, too. But you can swap out an excellent 5.9 Magnum, including the EFI, for the same or less than what building a 318 will cost.

You can build a 999 to withstand anything, don't let the 727 fans BS you about that.

7. PCRMike

This short block was already machined and assembled. Lol. I am changing to a steel crank I have spare, and custom porting the Magnum heads, so 400 horses is very attainable and will have almost no money in it. It will be a good starter motor for him to train on. The real fun happens when we stroke a poly....mwahahahaaaaa

dana44 likes this.