AF: Buying new car | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Buying new car

Discussion in 'Car Dealer Hangout' started by jansvobodajr, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

100%? That seems wrong...

2. saltydog

saltydog Well-Known Member

Wow that is rather confusing :confused:

Here in CA, we pay yearly registration fees and part of that is an assessed value of the vehicle(not sure how they calculate the %, I need to look that up) so every year that value goes down. So last year I paid about $700 for my 2016 GMC Sierra for the yearly registration, that fee included the assessed value, local & state fee, commercial vehicle fee(all pickups fall under this) smog abatement fee(new vehicles dont have to do smog for the first 6 years - there are many restrictions on this).

For my valiant, there is no assessed value and the total fee for the year $192.

I just got my new truck registered and I had to write a check for nearly $7000 to the state of CA, plus a smog cert and weight cert(this is because i purchased out of state)

3. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

What makes it worse is every county calculates its taxes differently and there is a set amount of funds ($950 million I think) from the state to be divided among the cities and counties. So the Tax Relief varies from year to year.

Fortunately both of our vehicles are below the $20,000 threshold so we get full benefit of the tax relief. The tax for my 14 year old Ram is less than $200 (about $160) for 2020 and not much higher for the '14 Equinox we have.

And the state also reduced the annual registration fees, but they increased the state gas tax.

saltydog likes this.
  4. jansvobodajr

jansvobodajr Active Member

I just wanted to let you know that I bought 2018 Scat Pack last week :cool: I'm still waiting for the money transfer confirmation. I will not pay taxes if I submit Bill of lading.

[​IMG]

saltydog, wolfsblood07, Morty and 3 others like this.
  5. chuzz

chuzz Well-Known Member

Man, that is a beautiful car. You did good!! I'm jealous.

jansvobodajr likes this.
  6. jansvobodajr

jansvobodajr Active Member

It is. Thank you man