Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Camber problem in 1994 ram van ,after ball joint issue

Discussion in 'Vans' started by NeilG, Sep 3, 2017.

1. NeilG

NeilG New

on my 1994 Ram250...120,000 miles. The drivers side lower ball joint actually broke on me, thank god I was only doing a 3 point turn when it let go. I was 20 feet from my driveway, yet stuck in the middle of the road because of course the front wheel went all at a crazy angle.

I sort of forced it into the driveway anyway.

I replaced the tie rod link arm and a sway bar mount since they both got tweaked. And of course, put a new lower ball joint on. Ive been driving it again for a month now, but Ive noticed two things, no doubt related, and no doubt related to the ball joint breaking and subsequent carnage.

My wheel apears to be sitting off camber, that is the bottom of the wheel seems to be sticking out further than the top. On low speed turns, expecially to the right, the tire squeals alot. The tread is also starting to feather on the outside.

I went under there just now to see about adjusting the camber, figuring even if something bent I might be able to compensate....however it does not appear that the camber IS adjustable on this setup. The control arm is a big wide, stamped unit, and the pivot sppears to be one long bolt, with bolts coming down through the top if it into the control arm. Threre only nuts on the end of the pivot, so not like eccentric bolts that you could turn.

So first off, am I correct, no camber adjustment here? If there is how?
    And, Im starting to think maybe the upper ball joint got bent when the front end collapsed on itself...does that seem likely? I think that would make the camber go off huh?

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Neil

2. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Not sure if it applies to your van, but on the 70's B vans the upper control arm has eccentric bolts which adjust the caster and camber.
    With the bottom of the wheel being further out, the tire should wear on the inside???

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I'm sure that there is a provision for alignment. The older ones had (eccentrics) cams. The newer ones may have slots to move the upper control arm in and out after loosening the bolts. You would want a proper front end alignment.
    If the slot bolts haven't slipped or the mounting ears bent, then I suspect that something in the suspension is still bent. A tape measurer may find the difference comparing the right side to the left side.
    I purchased a magnetic degree gauge from Harbor Freight for 'ball park' driveway alignments.
    Dial Gauge Angle Finder (at https://www.harborfreight.com/dial-gauge-angle-finder-34214.html )

4. Bearhawke

Bearhawke Things happen for a reason

1978-79 was when Dodge went from the eccentrics to the sliding camber/caster adjustments. For whatever it's worth: the lower control arm bushings may be worn out, that'd def cause negative camber as well.

ImperialCrown likes this.