Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can a flat tappet camshaft work in a 1998 318 5.2l magnum?

Discussion in 'Performance' started by giovany, Sep 30, 2015.

1. giovany

giovany New Member

I have a 1998 dodge ram 1500 318 5.2l 4x4. I was looking for a camshaft to put in the truck I got a comp cam xe262 hydraulic flat tappet kit from begs they told me it will work and then yesterday I called jegs to confirm that the cam kit will work another guy said that those magnum engines used roller camshafts instead. And I already have the xe262 kit :(

2. giovany

giovany New Member

I have a 1998 dodge ram 1500 318 5.2l 4x4. I was looking for a camshaft to put in the truck I got a comp cam xe262 hydraulic flat tappet kit from begs they told me it will work and then yesterday I called jegs to confirm that the cam kit will work another guy said that those magnum engines used roller camshafts instead. And I already have the xe262 kit :(

3. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Welcome to Allpar. Can you return the kit? All magnums used the roller cam and lifters.

PCRMike likes this.
  4. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

No it wont work unless you do some serious mods ( rocker oiling etc. )
    Cheaper to get a correct cam.

PCRMike likes this.
  5. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Although similar how the magnum and LA ( smallblock) engine looks there are a number of differences that
    can get you into trouble.
    Block differs.
    Heads and top end oiling differs.
    Intake bolt angles differs.
    Cam is different.
    That is what i remember right now, do some reading on magnums before getting more stuff.
    You can mix Magnum and La parts, some directly others will requiere modifications.
    By the way, magnum exhaust manifolds and heads are the best ever made for smallblocks.

If you are going to use the original induction system (fuel injection/ kegger) you will soon end up with trouble.
    The computer has no way to adjust for a different cam, it can compensate for smaller differences like ported heads or
    so ( these computers are hard to work with so find a good tuner, quality of it is second to none ). The kegger ( intake ) will be a real restriction to any kind of performance work, it has to go if youre serious.

6. giovany

giovany New Member

I have header and a exhaust system bigger throttle body better fuel injectors,spark plugs,higher output ignition coil,4inch pipe cold air intake,Mopar performance mpi intake manifold I believe its called

7. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

It seems like you just a need a camshaft and some valvesprings then:)
    It might be wize to find a tuner that can optimize the thing:cool:

8. dana44

Ad-Free Member

No, the cam won't work. If I'm not mistaken the lobes themselves are spaced differently. Other than the oiling mentioned, the correct cam is needed for the block. Sorry.

9. MoparDanno

Level III Supporter

Itll work, but the amount of money and changes needed to make it work are not worth the hassles of doing so. Plus a Hyd Roller cam of similar profile will have better performance overall than the flat tappet.

Stay with the roller. If you want some ideas of good cams to use PM me and I can get you going in the correct direction. I am pretty conversant in the 5.2 and 5.9 Magnum stuff....

10. pt006

pt006 Active Member

Gio; If it was my truck [and I like that style], I'd drop in a 98 or later 360 magnum. Instant 50 ft lbs of torque! Your truck is pretty heavy and need the cubes to move it at lower RPMs. Adding the mopar stroker kit to a 360 would give you 402 cubes. Try some of the 4x4 sites. They have already done the experimenting for you.