AF: Can Alfa Romeo be saved? | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Alfa Romeo be saved?

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by Beentherebefore, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Citation84

Citation84 Well-Known Member

Is the Motor Trend "Car of The Year Award" still for sale every year ?

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  2. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

If you have to ask if it’s for sale, then you can’t afford it. :p

Tony K likes this.
  3. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

this is not near as complicated as many make it be. What did the Japanese do to become world leaders:
    1) better quality I can recall when their stuff was junk (very long time ago), started changing early to mid 80s, then by late 80s far superior to US and European mass market makers
    2) generous warrantee and good will after warrantee support, they also don't keep building them wrong, they actually improve parts that fail! Now we never had a problem with it but got a letter extending the warrantee for the CVT trans on our '17 Subaru to 100,000 miles. Would FCA ever do that?

Now come to the modern era and guess what, the Koreans leaned to do the same thing. And yes at one time their stuff was nothing more than cheap junk! but not today.

If FCA can't or won't do this with their car brands, it doesn't matter how much cachet a brand name had, people don't want vehicles that are a pain, that the manufacturer does not support etc. Focus on making customers HAPPY, first! Its really not magic, they have to start thinking like customers do.

4. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

At FCA, the focus is on investors. That’s it.

Customer Who...?

cdjr77, hemi_magnum, Zagnut27 and 3 others like this.
  5. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

Ahh but in a way, the customer IS their investor. They just don't get that!

6. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

Nothing like a little sarcasm to start off the morning!:D

7. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

While it is unfortunate that some FCA brands were left wanting for product and in some cases for quality, merging with PSA is very much a "long game" move for FCA, one which should afford it better opportunities to fix quality and increase it's product line to gain and maintain customers.

tlc, Zagnut27 and HotCarNut like this.
  8. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

We can always hope. I can't speak for Fiat, but the Auburn Hills culture needs an adjustment.

9. aldo90731

Level III Supporter

That implies some FCA brands received adequate investment in quality.

Could you please kindly point below which one...?
    [​IMG]
    I’m just being a hard *ss :D

10. Mr. Fusion

Mr. Fusion Active Member

FYI, Alfa just did a huge product placement in the Netflix-exclusive film 6 Underground. The film launched last week, and yesterday I saw a tie-in TV ad from Alfa featuring scenes from the film (and I believe the ad was narrated by the film's star, Ryan Reynolds).

Now, whether it is actually worth watching is up to the viewer (although I quite liked a blurb I saw from someplace like Polygon or The Verge: "6 Underground takes all the fun out of explosions"). FWIW, the Alfa scenes are right at the beginning...

BASONE88 and Dave Z like this.
  11. AlfaCuda

AlfaCuda Well-Known Member

From my point of view there are a few problems.

1. Inadequate funds to keep launching a full range. Probably true of other FCA brands as well. You cannot have just two cars at your dealer with just two engine options and expect to gather the showroom traffic generated by your competitors. FCA just didn't have enough money.

2. Dealership/Customer service experience which has been an issue with both Fiat and Chrysler brands throughout its history has not yet been addressed effectively.

3. Low geographic reach - Failure in China which deprives them valuable volume and cash flow that the competitors are not short of.

To fix it they will have to

1. Keep investing until the brand has a wider model and variant range that at least gets close to its main competitors.

2. Marketing/Customer Service/Dealership experience has to be spot on. More so for a brand like AR which has so much baggage to carry.

3. They need to get China right even if it means building them there. They just can't afford to miss out being out of the world's biggest market.

12. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

I expect that Alfa is operating within current sales projections.
    If you are watching world politics closely, there is a huge groundswell of support for green initiatives, which leads me to think that car makers will be accelerating carbon friendly programs. That would include brands like Alfa delaying product while appropriate powertrains are developed, to compete with the new 'E' offerings from BMW and Mercedes.
    Certainly here in Canada there is much more support for emissions control than even 5 years ago. (It is the most likely reason the 'conservative' party lost the election, as it had zero green initiatives at all in their election platform, IMO.)

gforce2002 likes this.
  13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I just have to point out that, for all the criticism of Mary Barr, she DID manage to put Chevrolet and Buick at the top of the chart, in the #4 and #5 spots.

Chrysler, the brand, did manage to beat all Ford and Honda brands. However, it still did poorly... Volvo seems to have done badly out of the China deal, too.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  14. hmk123

Level III Supporter

Something can be said for the following "strategy" taught by Dilbert :

Wally says to The Boss, "Over the past year, most of my coworkers have managed expensive projects that failed." Wally continues, "I've done nothing but drink coffee. So on an economic basis, that makes me your top performer." Wally takes a sip of coffee and says, "Watch and learn."

:) For example, only in a few years we will know if VW's investment paid off or not...

15. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Based on Wally's example, "NewCo" should fully fund Dodge and Chrysler - which I fully support regardless - but on it's face, well...you know. :D

16. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Good point, but how does that change the point I was trying to make about "long game?"

Speaking of games, two can play at that game :D I know there have been some true reliability issues, especially with "stop-start" (Mom's JGC had one incident last week that resolved itself), at any rate I *THINK* mostly electrical or electronic in nature. How much of this J.D. Power study is what some here deride as "geewhiz" stuff not working well that doesn't have much effect on getting from A to B? IIRC, the latest reports that came out put Dodge in much better shape, mostly because of the average maturity of the systems being used.

17. valiant67

valiant67 ...

You can find ratings in several general categories by brand from JD Power if you Google around, which does provide some breakdown between electronics and mechanicals. Automakers can apparently purchase very detailed information.
    It was Consumer Reports who speculated that Dodge's improvements in their ratings was due to older designs.

HotCarNut, aldo90731 and Tony K like this.
  18. turbonetic

turbonetic Member

It'll take decades to get Alfa onto the same playing field as BMW and they just learned that the hard way and have decided against it. The next move needs to be to sell Alfa to Ferrari so they can use Ferrari engines/platforms and use it as a lower cost of entry boutique brand. Sell them out of Ferrari dealerships too. You get to keep the Italian heritage, uber dealership experience and exclusivity as they'll be built in limited numbers.

19. gforce2002

gforce2002 Well-Known Member

Does it matter, though? If a manufacturer is putting a piece of equipment in a vehicle, the buyer has a reasonable expectation that it will function as advertised. That said, my experience with my Compass with everything from persistent rattles, suspension problems, to excessive oil consumption seem to indicate it’s not all just electronics.

aldo90731 and valiant67 like this.
  20. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Have they really?

Well, you get way more bad press when your cars are stranding people than when the radio goes on the fritz, so it does matter. Do you think those 'Soccer Moms' would be replying to every Pacifica post made by Chrysler on FB/Twitter/IG if it was just a UConnect problem instead of a malfunction of the powertrain leaving them stranded on the road or in a potentially catastrophic situation at speed on the highway?