AF: Can Alfa Romeo be saved? | Page 5 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can Alfa Romeo be saved?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Beentherebefore, Dec 28, 2019.

1. aldo90731

Staff Member Level III Supporter

It is true that modern electronics do not leave us stranded the way a broken transmission would.

Nevertheless, electronic malfunctions have an inordinate ability to annoy and sour our ownership experience. In no small part because electronic issues appear to be harder to diagnose and eliminate than a mechanical issue.

Beentherebefore likes this.
  2. NWbyNW

NWbyNW Active Member

Good let Alfa dwindle. It wasn't needed in the first place. Let Chrysler move back to upmarket and rebuild it and Dodge.

Prophetically (haha), I posted Maserati was falling short of expectations as well and no one agreed with me.

Donte Lindsey and Mr.Source like this.
  3. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

We dont need Fiat and Alfa, thats a fact

4. pumadog

pumadog Well-Known Member

Who is we?

Tony K and Ryan like this.
  5. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

With the upcoming merger territories will disappear. Mechanically, brands will be the almost the same. It appears Tavares' idea is to leave brands to their areas where the brand is strongest. Fiat and Alfa will no longer be like they are now. Alfa will finally be forced to do what should've been done in the first place, share their most basic pieces.

Tony K likes this.
  6. hmk123

Level III Supporter

So just like an Opel is a Vauxhall in the U.K. I assume it will now also be a Chrysler in the U.S.? I still think there will be some regional differences. For example, Pacifica and 300/Charger can do well in North American but will have a hard time in Europe. Although who knows, maybe Tavares can figure out how to take some of the European brands and go successfully after Audi, BMW, etc. But that is a tough uphill battle. Need not only to look at Alfa but also Infiniti and Lexus... Unless your competition has gone weak the main question remains: what are you bringing to the table that the established brands don't already offer?

HotCarNut and Tony K like this.
  7. aldo90731

I agree with this in terms of the generic models.

However, I think there’s still a market in North America for niche imports like Fiat 124 Spiders, 500 Abarths and Alfa Romeo Quadrafoglios. But the entire retailing needs to be re-thought so that it makes sense to everyone: to FCA, to dealers and to customers. Perhaps bundle these vehicles into a Premium Auto Group that is only offered to the “best” CDJR dealers in key markets.

I agree, the way it is set up at the moment makes no sense.

HotCarNut, Tony K, page2171 and 4 others like this.
  8. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

You mean there's a set up? It looks like chaos to me. I like Fiats and Alfas, but I cringe when I see the way these vehicles are marketed in the US.

Tesla has become the disrupter in the premium car market and that brand has weakened all the players. Lincoln as a brand seems to understand this and has made some good moves towards electrification. I think the market is more receptive to plugin hybrids than battery electric. That I know of, Alfa doesn't have any plugins planned, but I think they should take full advantage of the 48V technology their suppliers are offering them.

9. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

How many times over the last few years has FCA stated that their focus was to put finances in the front of the priority list. That will leave product development and reliability concerns at the second level. Not fun for buyers but that put them into a strong position for a merger. Now that we have a financially strong partner, they can address these issues without being placed near bankruptcy.

10. aldo90731

Hopefully PSA will address these concerns, and not wait for the next merger to get them fixed.

Tony K, gforce2002 and page2171 like this.
  11. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

It's like putting the cart before the horse. If the cars and trucks are reliable, something public wants to buy, and the damn dealers start taking care of their customers like they're supposed to, profits, and lots of them will not be a problem. There should be a committee of these highly paid execs to start addressing the dealer issue. As soon as the ink is dry on the merger.

XRT2SRT, Tony K, page2171 and 2 others like this.
  12. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

Fiat and Alfa have been the worst nightmare for Chrysler.

Many projects were put on hold or canceled un favor for Fiat and Alfa.
    Italians still want them to succed un América.
    A waste of Time money and resources

NWbyNW, jclick and JavelinAMX like this.
  13. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

You and me :)

wtxiceman likes this.
  14. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

Don't let your key fob get wet.:eek:

djsamuel, tlc and aldo90731 like this.
  15. williev

williev Active Member

I totally agree! Why would you try to establish Alfa as a viable luxury brand when you could kept the course with the Chrysler brand?

cdjr77 likes this.
  16. williev

williev Active Member

A darn shame! Just think what could a updated 300, Charger, and Challenger could have been? Heck, even the Chrysler brand itself!

XRT2SRT and Mr.Source like this.
  17. Mr.Source

Level III Supporter

I have to agree with you, its a shame!

Of course we have many projects delayed and canceled.

A lot of time and resources were wasted instead of investing those un Mopar products.

18. eaglecars

eaglecars Well-Known Member

I really think Alfa's lineup is full of very competitive products. I really want them and Fiat to do well. If I were in the market for a 4-door vehicle I would cross shop the Giulia. However, it feels like I've been hearing for years now that Alfa Romeo is a major focus at FCA and eventually Dodge and Chrysler will get their turn. Now I'm wondering if any FCA brands will truly thrive other than Jeep and Ram!!! What's the point in making profit if your company winds up a shell of its former self a few years down the road... Okay, maybe Dodge will do okay if they just keep adding more horsepower. It's surreal.

ehaase and Tony K like this.
  19. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

FCA saw the clock running out on Alfa Romeo, IMHO, so it was a fait accompli once the FCA merger deal was done to rebuild AR. Sucks for Chrysler and Dodge, but that's water under the bridge at this point. Besides, how many BILLIONS has FCA invested in NA plants?

Besides, I don't even think that's a good comparison. Alfa has always been performance oriented. For example, Alfa is where Enzo Ferarri started. Chrysler has been more like Buick with some Caddy (Imperial/Fifth Ave/NYer/LeBaron) and Hot Rod Lincoln (300) thrown in the mix. That's kinda why Opel is seen as the go-to brand for Chrysler to leverage in the merger w/PSA (Opel and Buick share platforms).

HotCarNut, Mr. Fusion, tlc and 2 others like this.
  20. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

I think that requires some consideration regarding underlying assumptions about marketability, not to mention a consideration of brand identity and history. If Tavares sees a marketing opportunity for Dodge and Chrysler that's just been missed due to FCA finances not being sufficient, I think there's a good chance. Someone in his circle of trust just has to present the case. Regardless, it's way too early in this merger process to even begin to tease out those kinds of considerations. Heck, it wasn't that long ago we were talking merger with Renault. Thank God we didn't get stuck with that mess.

Adventurer55 likes this.