AF: Can someone tell me what an Autel AL419 code reader can (and can't) do? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone tell me what an Autel AL419 code reader can (and can't) do?

Discussion in 'Repairs, Maintenance, Help' started by MoPar~Man, Jan 10, 2020.

1. MoPar~Man

MoPar~Man Member

There's a sale on the Autel Autolink AL419 code reader. It's billed as an OBDII/EOBD code reader. I can buy it for $80 (CAD) or about $60 USD. I'd want it primarily for LH body Chrysler (1999-2004) cars, and I'd want to be able to read ABS and transmission codes. I don't really follow all the "lingo" in terms of these code-reader gizmo's but I do know that not all readers are able to read all codes that a car can throw. So will this reader tell me EVERYTHING I want to know?

2. MoPar~Man

MoPar~Man Member

It seems that the AL419 is garbage. It really does nothing useful above what the AL319 does, and the 319 is $50 CAD on amazon. The MS609 is $100 CAD on amazon and can read ABS (but not airbag) codes (the 319/419 do neither). When it comes to transmission codes I don't see much specific mention on scanner feature lists for TCM or transmission codes (?) the way they list ABS and SRS (why is that?). The AL619 ($135 CAD) will read ABS and SRS codes. The AL419 is old (I see mention of it going back to 2013) but there are software updates to it that I've found (2015 and 2018).

One thing I don't know -> is it possible that these scanners have had capability updates (ie ABS, SRS, transmission) via downloadable update files that they didn't have when initially released? Do these scanner-tool makers do that?

What is the best / cheapest scan tool today that will tell me EVERYTHING about ANY scan code or module code on 1999 - 2004 Chrysler cars or Dodge Ram?

3. AC TC

AC TC Well-Known Member

Following..

4. valiant67

valiant67 ...

I'm sure there are other alternatives, but I really liked the SnapOn MT2500 for OBDI and ODBII Chrysler products.
    It's an obsolete tool so it could possibly found inexpensively. But you need the tool, the proper cartridges, the Chrysler OBDI connectors (one for underhood and one for under dash), the OBDII cable with the appropriate Chrysler personality key (if you have OBDII cars). I think it stops with somewhere around 2003 model year. If you don't get everything with the tool, the accessories needed can add substantially to the cost. Last time I looked, the components were readily available on eBay.

I bought on for $600 in 2003 or so. I used it for transmission, ABS, and body computer diagnosis many times on OBDI and OBDII Chrysler products..

5. HemiJeepMagnum

HemiJeepMagnum Active Member

I can't speak to all your questions, but the more "higher end" Autel scanners do allow for updates. You'll get the first year free and have to pay for subsequent years. I am on my 3rd Autel scanner, upgrading each time. I gave the first one, an Autel DS708, to my son for use at his job, I sold the second one, and Autel MS906, to the shop he works at, and my current one is an Autel MS906BT. All of these, although a little spendy, are excellent, cover almost every vehicle made and will tell you just about everything you want to know and then a little more. They all can read and diagnose all modules on your vehicle, at least on the 05's and above which is what I have. I can't address the earlier ones, but I do know they will work on at least some OBDI vehicles. The ones I've had mostly advertise vehicles from 1996 and above. I should also say that, with each, I've found that I've not needed any updates beyond the first year, but that may be because I keep my vehicles almost forever. If you change vehicles fairly often, you may need to buy updates (not cheap but cover all vehicles) that include your newer vehicles.

As far as cost goes, you should be able to find a good (and reasonable) deal on a DS708, as they've been replaced by the MS906/906BT. The only reason I upgraded to the 906BT was because I wanted the wireless connection and was tired of dealing with the OBDII cable that connects the unit to the OBD port.

You may want to get on their website and check the functions of each and find which one supports your needs. I will say that they have all worked flawlessly and have done everything I have ever wanted them to do....key and some other programming, reading and diagnosing ALL modules, functional/operatiional checks of components, live/freeze frame data, data logging, code descriptions, read different protocols, etc.