AF: Can't Afford A Trackhawk, The GC SRT Is No Slouch! | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Afford A Trackhawk, The GC SRT Is No Slouch!

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by redriderbob, Aug 7, 2018.

1. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Mr. Fusion and UN4GTBL like this.
  2. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

A local dealer has two Trackhawks in stock. They have yet to sell one. At $128,000 it's a bit steep.

BobbiBigWheels likes this.
  3. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

For a $128,000 I can buy a Hellcat Charger and a Challenger GT AWD for winter use. Any money left over I'll just waste.

Aspenrt and Zagnut27 like this.
  4. Powdered Toast Man

I should clarify that's in Canadian Dollars. But it's not like our wages are any higher here so we just pay more for everything.

5. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

So disappointed...I saw GC SRT and was thinking Grand Caravan SRT. o_O:D

Shane Estabrooks and eggwhite93 like this.
  6. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

Tack on 20% BC tax and you're at a 150,000+ vehicle...
    Financing?
    After interest you're at a $200,000 loan on 7 year term.
    Trackhawks are unsellable in our parts.

Powdered Toast Man likes this.
  7. Powdered Toast Man

lol and I'm in Winnipeg - not exactly known to be a "big money" town. I mean there's some rich people and there is ONE particular dealership that specializes in high value specialty vehicles, but yeah.

Also we have Winter - like full on winter - about 4-5 months of the year. One, you're not going to drive your $128K vehicle in the winter. Two, a 700 hp vehicle is useless in winter conditions. You sneeze and you're in the ditch. I met a realtor with an SRT Challenger and he was selling it for these two reasons. He said he had owned it for three years and only put 6000 KM on it.

Zagnut27 likes this.
  8. Powdered Toast Man

Also big shout out to ME because when I saw the Trackhawk sitting in the showroom I understandably went to take a closer look. In my initial lap around the vehicle I saw the front windows were rolled all the way down and the driver's door was unlocked. Being a show room I grasped the door handle and pulled and that's when... I set off the car alarm. Suddenly ALL EYES IN THE BUILDING were on me and no less than four people came literally running over so see who was messing with the Trackhawk.

So yeah, that wasn't embarrassing or anything lol

9. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

We like to stage these things just to see how many people we can embarrass. ;)

10. scatpack_69

scatpack_69 Active Member

Not 100% so. The Trackhawk is AWD, and I can vouch that 700+hp in my 4x4 Ram Cummins is absolutely unbeatable in 8"+ snow. I do have 35's on it with far more aggressive tread than any Trackhawk will probably ever wear haha.

wtxiceman and Ryan like this.
  11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

700 pound-feet in your Cummins, unless you've done a lot of work to it...

That said, the Hellcat engine is pretty controllable. You can drive it like a little old lady which is good for winter. The 392 is probably more brute-force from idle (remember 426 vs 440?).

The JGC 392 is a pretty darned impressive machine, as is the Durango.

12. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

Anecdotal but- talked to a friend at a fairly large ford dealership why they haven’t moved their focus rs in two years. They “haven’t found it a home yet”
    The trackhawk and rs are very focused vehicles, and not for everyone, but the question is, which one has a better shot? High hp suv, or high hp hot hatch? One is exploding and the other is dying off.

13. Powdered Toast Man

I'd say the JGC is a better bet. At least the Grand Cherokee already has a reputation as an upmarket SUV so it can command the higher price and it's at least got some clout in the demographic that has that sort of money to spend on a vehicle.

The Focus, while a hot and powerful car, at the end of the day it's still a Focus. If you told anyone you spent more than $40k on a Focus they'd probably look at you like you had two heads.

GasAxe likes this.
  14. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

Weight of the diesel is a huge benefit in the snow. My F350 diesel with BF KO2's was pretty much unstoppable...

15. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

If I’m not mistaken, Ford is killing off the focus rs. This is also the foresight that fca had to not invest into an srt dart. I foresee languishing trackhawks finding a home, maybe through dealer trade or an internet buyer. Or this is an exercise to see how far fca can push the Jeep brand. If they can sell for 100k, maybe they can press 200k. Look out Alfa-

16. scatpack_69

scatpack_69 Active Member

North of 1400lb-ft.

If you can get all that weight moving, it'll usually just tank through stuff. What they may lack in style and grace, they can make up for with brute strength haha. If that weight stalls though, you're up a creek.

That said, I would LOVE to have a Trackhawk for a winter, that just sounds like a blast. Heck, one storm would be fun.

Don W and wtxiceman like this.
  17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

That's a huge boost.

The Dart SRT would have been a slow seller but it would have made the ordinary Dart more credible. I'm convinced, though, that warranty issues were the primary reason for dropping the car. The 1.4s were horrible from that perspective as far as I can tell. The 2.0 and 2.4 were probably OK but as the cars age, the interiors do creak and rattle a lot, even with the Chrysler engines. The 1.4T was poorly tuned for the car with a stick, for most buyers, and more to the point is expensive to maintain and run.

valiant67 likes this.
  18. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

Pretty sure almost 8000 trackhawks were sold for 2018 when jeep originally planned to only build 2500 or so. Seems pretty dang successful to me. Last I checked there were 900 in inventory world wide. There's 2200 dealers in USA I think....so.....

GasAxe likes this.