AF: Car wont charge - tried two alternator - | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car wont charge - tried two alternator -

Discussion in 'Daytona and Laser' started by torgtoe, May 8, 2020.

1. torgtoe

torgtoe Active Member

Hei Guys - i still drive my great 86 turbocharged Daytona-
    This forum has saved med many times with many problems.
    I thank the Bob,s - and all the other good advisers in this forum.
    Maybe Bob Lincoln could help this problem:

The car wont charge. I tried two different alternator, one complete new.
    Checked all line from alternator -four of them.
    Checked fuses, and fusible links also seem ok.
    I changed logic modul and the ecu on the side of engine,
    Something doesnt tell the alternator to give the right amount og voltage.
    I dont know where to begin now...

BTW - my codes dont work - and warning flashers dont work) But cars rund great.

2. Shane Estabrooks

Shane Estabrooks Active Member

Did you get the battery tested? So many times have I looked for a problem so hard to find out it's something so simple. With some of what you said might lead to the PCM .. or just a bad connection somewhere.

Tony K likes this.
  3. torgtoe

torgtoe Active Member

thanks - i just minutes ago changed battery - same result. im stuck - must check lines and connetions again-
    Strage why code sytem is gone too - must be a connetion on these issues i think

4. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

By 'code system', you mean the POWER LOSS lamp in the instrument cluster? The hazard flashers wouldn't be related.
    Both the voltage regulator and the fault code systems are part of the logic/power modules. Stop replacing parts and let's do some diagnosis first.
    You have wiring diagrams and the service manual?
    How did you test the 2 Gn field wires? One should be battery voltage, the other controls the anternator field. By grounding the field briefly (full fielded), it should charge at around 16 volts at idle. Will it do that?

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  5. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

And what voltage do you measure at idle?

If codes don't show, either the bulb is burned out (you can test with ignition on, engine off), or the computer is bad or has a bad connection.

6. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

In the 1984 service manual, hazard flashers are run from fuse #1, a 20 amp. That may be blown.
    Also check fuse #13, 5 amp.

7. AllanC

AllanC Well-Known Member

It appears your vehicle has the Chrysler built alternator. It will have 4 electrical connections opposite the pulley side. A larger diameter 6 gauge wire is direct and continuous power from the positive battery post. It will probably be black in color. A smaller diameter wire should be connected to the case of the alternator. This provides a continuous ground circuit return to the battery negative post.

There will be 2 smaller, 18 gauge wires as ImperialCrown mentioned and they will have spade type connectors on the alternator. Follow these wires in the harness. I believe there is an electrical connector for these 2 wires near the battery area that could be causing a poor connection and the cause of the non-charging situation.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.
  8. torgtoe

torgtoe Active Member

Thanks everybody - i notice every single word. This is a hard one for me - already spent 4 days on this. Im trying to do the electric checkin, buts a bit hard for me, im not an expert. At least i think im sure i have main pluss and ground in order - they are connected. So it seems to be something from the field(smaller dark green) into the power module. However the connectors are ok.
    I have a spare electric wiring set up in mye livingroom (to my wifes disgrace) , im comparing things with. Perhaps i have to make a youtube video and show you, its really hard to explain. It might be somthing has melted, and gives to many reactions on the 10 pin connector.
    BTW - is the power module(in engine room) grounded? -by the holder screws?

ImperialCrown likes this.
  9. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

The power module is a plastic housing. The housing doesn't ground to the body. The grounds (Bk wires) come from the connector plugs to sheetmetal screws in the module/battery area.

10. torgtoe

torgtoe Active Member

maybe thats the problem - ill try to check -thanks

11. 85lebaront2

Level 2 Supporter

If the grounds are bad you should be getting running issues as the coil and injectors are grounded by the power module to operate. I have seen these power modules lose the alternator field control and everything else works perfectly. I agree with checking wiring and look at the two plugs at the power module, a loose connector on the field control will keep it from charging.

torgtoe likes this.
  12. torgtoe

torgtoe Active Member

Strange things are happening.
    I took away the whole wiring from alternator to battery, - and put in a spare set-up i had from my other car. Nothing happened -still 12.6 volt.

In desperation i startet checking fuses again - took them all out and- in again. Then i noticed that the relay in the middle of the three, ign-time-relay, was hot, so i put in another one.
    Then i did a check on charging - now 14.83????

13. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

Over time relays can deteriorate performances, "stick" due to internal welding due to arc currents, ... Also the contacts can cause problems since materials of contacts can be affected by sulfidation and oxidation.

Since You took apart the wiring it wold be a good idea to clean the contacts before reinstalling the whole.
    Maybe also check the other relays.
    Clean also the battery contacts. Sometimes they look not bad, but oxydation can generate intermittent contacts.

Here an article about ignition relay troubles, includes the one that, if I read well, was in your car.
    Symptoms of a Bad Ignition Relay, Function & Location - Mechanic Base (at https://mechanicbase.com/electric/ignition-relay-symptoms/ )

torgtoe likes this.
  14. torgtoe

torgtoe Active Member

MJAB
    Yes this may be tha fact -overheat in relay og then problem. Thanks for good article.
    But the thing is - my car both startes and charges - witout the relay also - strange?
    So even if i now have charging, i still have to find out why it startes charging.

15. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

It would be useful to find the wiring diagram.

That said maybe You could check the other relays.

Hereafter a video I watched some years ago about how to check relays, I liked since explains the circuits that are inside the realy.
    Beware of with crocodile connectors since You can touch other connections. I prefer other fast connector, more safe.
    As always pay attention since electric current is dangerous.

torgtoe likes this.
  16. torgtoe

torgtoe Active Member

Thank for new video -
    Latest news - lost charging again - seemed strang i had 14 - then 15 volt - for a long time.
    Changed the batteri - and messed something up again.

17. MJAB

MJAB Well-Known Member

If You changed the battery, than You moved the cables. Have You checked the battery cables connections? Also the cables integrity?

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  18. torgtoe

torgtoe Active Member

Thank you all - and im so sorry for late answer - i had to work fast ( for driving to my cabin that weekend)and did this job after all your advise - i never found the problem - i took this from Volt regulator from mye Dodge 024 - and i cut the two field lines to Power module and fuse-box - I works!
    I was a nightmare - i think i spent 40 hours om electrical searching and trying different alternators. I think perhaps both my powemodul had a failure. Cause every wiring seemed correct. I probably will never find out.
    Thanks everybody - every answer can lead to an important decision.Im sure ill be back with more questions soon - hope you will be there..Thank to Bob for all earlier help and your consern for details. And thank to all you new guys that i dont know-
    Pictures next post - under

#18 torgtoe, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
  19. torgtoe

torgtoe Active Member

Here are pictures -read last post ( im sorry for hasty work with bad contact and those terrible cramps -this job will be redone.

Attached Files:

#19 torgtoe, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020