AF: Carter BBD flooding at idle. | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Carter BBD flooding at idle.

Discussion in 'Vans' started by 135SoHc, Jan 6, 2013.

1. roadmasterst

roadmasterst New Member

I've been plagued by flooding at idle issues with both my b250's both with bbd carbs. purchased remanufactured one and it worked for a few months then the flooding started again.
    Picked up another good used one and it worked for a while but then reverted to flooding at idle.
    Got another B250 and it was good for about 6 months then it too started flooding at idle. These are both units with 318's and carter carbs. I give up on them and am looking for a Quadrajet Intake manifold to hopefully solve the problem

2. ImperialCrown

ImperialCrown Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Is there debris in the fuel that is getting into the needle and seat and holding them open?
    Are these brass or plastic floats? EIther one can take on fuel and sink after awhile.
    An old Quadrajet may not run any better.

3. floridaman2013

floridaman2013 Active Member

IC is right. A BBD carb is pretty simple to fix, not many moving parts. Only had one that I couldn't fix since throttle shaft wore out! They are just a good, all around dependable carb.

4. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

I have had great experiences with rebuilding the BBD carb, sometimes the spring that activates the accelerator pump needs a stretching as it seems to weaken over time. To test brass floats, I submerge the float in a glass of cold water, and if it has any leaks air bubbles will zoom out of the float wherever it has a crack or pinhole.

Thanks
    Randy