Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catalytic converter/check engine light

Discussion in 'Grand Cherokee, Durango, etc' started by Richard1, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Richard1

Richard1 Member

About 50 miles into a 2500 mile trip, out in the middle of nowhere, my check engine came on (2012 Grand Cherokee 4x4 3.6). After about 400 miles I got to a town with a dealer and they scanned it, showing me that at one point it had a catalytic con converter problem, but was no longer a problem. They reset the code.

50 miles later, again in the middle of nowhere, the light came back on, but I had to continue my journey, mostly over 12000 ft above sea level.

Is it an O2 sensor that triggers it? Is it possible that I got water in the connectors? (I frequently have to drive in 12 inch water to get to my house or out).

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

Converters run hot. A splash of water could have rapidly cooled it and stopped the catalyst action. O2 sensors also rely at being at a high temperature to operate and any rapid cooling will render them inactive until they warm up again.
    O2 sensor signals run at between 0 and 1 volt. It may be easy to short that out or pull down the voltage with wetness?

3. LouJC

LouJC Active Member

If you can post the specific code that can help to narrow it down. Some O2 sensor codes, are actually caused by other things. I had this with my 07 Hemi with a P013 code. This is a code for slow response of the upstream O2 sensor but it is actually caused by extra air in the exhaust due to an exhaust leak that can be found with a smoke machine. I wound up getting a new cat converter under the fed emissions warantee..a small crack was causing this code.

On mine the pcm would do a self check of how fast the upstream O2 sensors switched lean/rich but only when driving over 60 for a set amount of time. Then it would set the code. During local low speed driving it would not set the code.