AF: CAUGHT: 2020 Dodge Charger SRT HELLCAT Redeye On The Street: | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CAUGHT: 2020 Dodge Charger SRT HELLCAT Redeye On The Street:

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by redriderbob, Mar 3, 2020.

1. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

HotCarNut likes this.
  2. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

:D:D:D In my favorite color too!

Zagnut27 and Ryan like this.
  3. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

What will the top end be on this version???....210 - 212?

MoparJoe likes this.
  4. joewho

joewho Active Member

Like we didn’t see this happening

FThorn and MoparJoe like this.
  5. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

Right... In other news, the New Electric Hummer Pickup is set to debut May 2020,... Followed by the SUV sometime soon after. GMC has just refreshed all their Big-Bodies for next year, the Kia Telluride is selling like hot-cakes, and can't keep them in stock...

Meanwhile, the Journey hasn't been updated since the Great Depression, and is finally beig taken behind the barn, with no replacement in sight. Chrysler has two vehicles, one of which hasn't seen meaningful attention since seemingly the Clinton administration, and the Durango, while competent, is so long in the tooth thay they don't even include it in comparisons anymore...

But sure, let's keep spending developmental dollars on High-end niche vehicles in a "dying" segment...

If big motors were the answer, they should have shoehorned Hemi's into the Dart and 200. Versus making up stories about plant shuffling needed for the new product which has yet to materialize...

Rant over/

6. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

That's the thing though, its development dollars from years and years ago. This is just a slow roll out of redeye goodies to keep the car seemingly fresh.

Chase300 likes this.
  7. Chase300

At least we heard that the Durango is getting a new interior and facelift for 2021.
    Heck, Sergio long ago said FCA could afford 1 failure...which at the time was the Dart...but not 2.
    The 200 was the 2nd failure. I think that put a cork in any new sedan development.
    We can probably add the Alfa Giulia to the failed list too...though it now seems the chassis is going to be shared so not all is lost there.

8. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say the dart was a failure or even really the 200, the market just shifted so quickly to where the smaller the car the faster it would die off

ScramFan likes this.
  9. Chase300

Agree...not profitable a better term than failure. Both were actually nice cars compared to competition.

10. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

Ok.... I'll play along.
    How many years has Chrysler only had two products? Years and years ago.
    How long has it been since the Journey had a significant refresh, or needed to be outright replaced? Years and years ago.
    How long has the Wagoneers been 2-3 years out? Years and years ago.
    How long has the current Durango been on the market virtually unchanged (especially the interior-You can put an SRT Hood for $500 and front Bumper for $850 and no one would be able to tell a 2014 from a 2020 - save for Durango nuts like me that know the AWD badge is different)? Again... Years and years ago.

So, my point stands... Even if the development dollars was spent years and years ago, there were and are STILL glaring holes in product and updates that that money could have been allocated to.

I bought my Kia Sorento as a 14' in June of 2013... Since then the Sorento has been refreshed and it's all-new replacement is due next year. They have also released 3 all new SUV's in that timeframe, Seltos, Niro and the hot-selling Telluride.

So while the development dollars may have been allocated years and years ago, does not mean that they were spent wisely.

11. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

I agree with you, especially on the interiors. But on the other hand, these models apparently still sell well enough to justify their continued existence. When comparing typical annual sales figures to something like the Explorer, it's pretty sobering. But without knowing the typical ROI on a major/complete model overhaul it's hard to critique their logic.

That said, I am confounded at just how long it actually takes for FCA to release anything even after it's been officially announced.

Bajanbuoy and page2171 like this.
  12. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

No argument there and none intended but it really isn't that much (fender flares and a blower that probably shares the same dimensions with a hellcat one). They are broke (my guess) and this was a cheap way to keep 2-3 popular cars up in the HP wars.

They real sin was pouring billions into Alfa, that's the one that took food off the table for Dodge and Chrysler.

13. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

The one thing i hate about this site is all the crying and negativity about the very thing this site is about. SMH....

il bite

How many years has Chrysler only had two products? Years and years ago. Chrysler Co. brands dont need full line up of Vehicles. charger/challenger are all the "cars" ChryslerCo needs. want crossovers?jeep has that. Chrysler has your MVP, RAM has your pickups. yes Chrysler could use some love but it could be worse. they could be like Buick with GMC rebadges. so let them have the Pacifica for right now.

How long has it been since the Journey had a significant refresh, or needed to be outright replaced? Years and years ago. Vehicles that make money dont need to be replaced right away. it can last until it cant meet Safety regulations, it received a slight update in 2015 or 2017. it somewhat keeps Durango resale values decent.

How long has the Wagoneers been 2-3 years out? Years and years ago. I mean damn the thing been only SPECULATED for years. its been only about one year since we seen the actual prototype! how would they release a SUV whom its platform that its based on, just came out almost year ago? *insert think Emoji*

How long has the current Durango been on the market virtually unchanged (especially the interior-You can put an SRT Hood for $500 and front Bumper for $850 and no one would be able to tell a 2014 from a 2020 - save for Durango nuts like me that know the AWD badge is different)? Again... Years and years ago.
    its been since 2018 since the Durango received the bandit front end. Interior received a Leather dash option too.. big whoop, there is a Update for 2021 and there is a replacement coming and its BOF.

How would they make a new Dodge (RWD) model without the model its based on 1st? (Giulia/Stevlio). the Best way to build a new platform is to reverse engineer from its most Premium variation. and These days, a Mainstream RWD Sedan smaller than a Charger isnt a good idea.... So the next Brand that get a variation of Giorgio is Jeep as SUV's are all the rave, not to mention Grand Cherokee is the 3rd most important vehicle to all of Chrysler Corp...Thats not money "Wasted". It could be worse, FCA could be like GMC putting BILLIONS into Cadillac and still trying to reinvent the brand and so far, they Failing IMO.

#13 tomaz, Mar 6, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  14. TheViking

TheViking Active Member

I don't think it has much to do with HP wars. Just much better profit margins on the high end stuff.

15. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

Aren't we supposed to be talking about a Hellcat???

FThorn likes this.
  16. Bajanbuoy

Bajanbuoy Durango Dave!
    Level 2 Supporter

I love it when posters try to categorize the opinions of others as crying or negativity when they disagree or are contrary to the opinion of your own...

Please feel free to go through my 16 years of posts to see where I've been "negative" towards Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram... However, my love for Mopar does not make me blind to their years of continued mismanagement, lack of consistency and the hope that they can find some long-term continuity.

But to respond to your post:

Chrysler Co. brands dont need full line up of Vehicles. charger/challenger are all the "cars" ChryslerCo needs. want crossovers?jeep has that. Chrysler has your MVP, RAM has your pickups. yes Chrysler could use some love but it could be worse. they could be like Buick with GMC rebadges. so let them have the Pacifica for right now.

This narrative was introduced by SM, I believe, as they began to whittle down the line-ups in (my opinion) to "SAVE MONEY". Others with ACTUAL knowledge (NOT OPINION) can correct me (PLEASE PROVIDE REFERENCES).

However, this line of thinking, that I will affectionately call KOOL-AID, that a lot of "YOU GUYS" now take as GOSPEL, is not shared by the majority of the Auto Industry, more specifically, the top Auto Manufacturers.

Toyota - Toyota, Lexus
    VW Group - Volkswagen Passenger Cars, Audi, SEAT, ŠKODA, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, Ducati,
    Hyundai - Hyundai, Kia, Genesis

If this premise was accurate, these brands would not have a "full line up of vehicles".

Furthermore, that premise shows a true lack of understanding brands, brand loyalty, and basic preference. Someone who owns a 300 or a Pacifica shouldn't HAVE to switch to a Jeep or Durango if they want an SUV. And the idea of "rebadges" aka identical vehicles different badges (save for grill/light changes) is outdated, as that has not been done in probably over a decade.

For you to actually post and BELIEVE that Chrysler Co. Brands do not need a full line up of vehicles is sad and also terrifying.

Vehicles that make money dont need to be replaced right away. it can last until it cant meet Safety regulations, it received a slight update in 2015 or 2017. it somewhat keeps Durango resale values decent.

This statement defies logic... Honda CRV, Ford Escape, Toyota RAV-4, Nissan Rogue, Chevrolet Equinox... These were the top selling SUV's of 2015... They all "made money",.... They also ALL have been REPLACED, or SIGNIFICANTLY refreshed/updated.

I mean damn the thing been only SPECULATED for years. its been only about one year since we seen the actual prototype! how would they release a SUV whom its platform that its based on, just came out almost year ago? *insert think Emoji*

It was just not "SPECULATION"... SM, the CEO at the time, said that the Wagoneer will be seen in January of 2013, that was January of 2011...For those of us bad at math, that was over 9-years ago. The problem is that it took them 9 years to produce.... a "prototype?" *insert stop drinking the kool-aid emoji*

its been since 2018 since the Durango received the bandit front end. Interior received a Leather dash option too.. big whoop, there is a Update for 2021 and there is a replacement coming and its BOF.

The bandit front end was not a refresh across the board (for all trim levels), neither was the leather dash option.... and as far as the 2021 update... Another "front-end" only refresh has been confirmed (interior update is just speculation).... And how long until we see this BOF replacement? Let me guess... 2-3 years away... Forgive me if I don't hold my breath until 2029.

How would they make a new Dodge (RWD) model without the model its based on 1st? (Giulia/Stevlio). the Best way to build a new platform is to reverse engineer from its most Premium variation

How were they making products before FIAT? And are you suggesting that that is how the auto industry develops their vehicles... Reverse engineering??? That's the best way?

a Mainstream RWD Sedan smaller than a Charger isnt a good idea.... So the next Brand that get a variation of Giorgio is Jeep as SUV's are all the rave, not to mention Grand Cherokee is the 3rd most important vehicle to all of Chrysler Corp...Thats not money "Wasted". It could be worse, FCA could be like GMC putting BILLIONS into Cadillac and still trying to reinvent the brand and so far, they Failing IMO

I don't think anyone in this thread said a Mainstream RWD Sedan smaller than a Charger was a good idea, or an area of need. Or that money spent on the Grand Cherokee was money wasted.

But why the focus on Cadillac?... They suffer from the same lack of identity, brand direction and continuity as Chrysler does... Why not compare FCA to Hyundai and Kia, who have spent BILLIONS and HAVE reinvented their Brands.

#16 Bajanbuoy, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Supposedly the chassis was ALWAYS going to be shared and was engineered with input from everyone. If they didn't do it that way, it was a criminal waste of money, because they'll have to do what they did with C-EVO - redesign it for every iteration.

18. valiant67

valiant67 ...

For everyone saying "it's all well and good" with the current big cars:
    Q1) Why has 300 had $4500-6000 but still can't sell?
    Q2) Whey did the 2019 Dodge cars end with Power Dollars and why have Power Dollars already been extended for the entire 2020 model year?

A) because they are old designs well overdue for significant refresh or replacement.
    At some point, the hug discounts push the nameplate beyond future viability. It happened with Grand Caravan and Journey. I'd say the 300 is there as well. Too long, and the Dodge cars could be there too. It's not easy to predict when that would happen, but you know once you pass the tipping point.

19. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

And another thread goes completely off topic. :(

The special hood for the Red Eye was supposed to debut at Springfest, but that was cancelled.

Mike

#19 Mike V., Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  20. Chase300

How about bringing back drag mode???