AF: CAUGHT: 2021 Dodge Durango Gets New Front Styling: | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CAUGHT: 2021 Dodge Durango Gets New Front Styling:

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by redriderbob, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

2. vipergg

vipergg Well-Known Member

The halogen projectors are mediocre at best . Light pattern does not go very far out on the low beams and high beams are only fair . Projectors are just a too complicated setup and more to go wrong . Simplify and go back to reflector type setups and make them so it is actually semi easy to change the bulbs if needed . right now it is a PIA and a lot of dealers are getting $150-200 just to change a stupid bulb .

#42 vipergg, Jan 16, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    Tony K and CherokeeVision like this.
  3. vipergg

I think the problem is the narrow section in the middle of the panel is letting the whole assembly flex too much going over bumps and if you like to slam the door shut and it is cracking the seams where the front and back pieces come together. I agree , I love it and it really looks nice at night if it is actually working like it should .

4. MoparGuy413

MoparGuy413 Active Member

Why are you slamming doors? The rear liftgate on most models is powered, just push the button

If it's not, you can close it gently

Never understood why people slam car doors, drives me absolutely insane.

MoparJoe, Bajanbuoy, XRT2SRT and 11 others like this.
  5. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

This actually gave me an idea. They could do the dual racetrack lights from the Challenger.
    Durango Tails2.jpg

#45 Ryan, Jan 16, 2020
    XRT2SRT, Dart, Zagnut27 and 14 others like this.
  6. flffddy

flffddy Active Member

You design your products for how people use them, not how they SHOULD use them.

Adventurer55, UN4GTBL and valiant67 like this.
  7. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Wow, now that is a nice improvement!!!
    Get that over to Dodge pronto!!!

8. Chase300

UN4GTBL likes this.
  9. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Well-Known Member

Agreed!

I kinda like that!

The ratings sometimes detract points for glare and such things that aren't always immediately obvious to a driver.

The same ratings rate the 2014-2018 HIDs in the KL as better than the LEDs in the 2019+ KL, and if you talk to just about anyone who has driven them, they are shocked. I think it came down to some glare on the 2019s too. Seems to be a theme with FCA.

jclick likes this.
  10. valiant67

valiant67 ...

11. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Did you read the link I put out? The HID high beams don't light up even 200 feet in corners, and the driver's is barely above 300 feet in a straight line. The Halogens are just as turdy in the corners, but at least the driver's light does 375 feet. That extra distance can easily be a deer in your grille or a near graze.

12. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

Both headlights are pretty bad but the projectors are still better then halogen in almost all instances but the driver straight line and the passenger side left turn

13. Chase300

Yes, don't look at the numbers...those can be misleading, look at their comments and you can see they said the HID's did better...though overall rating the same.
    However, owning a Durango w/HID's and having driven recently a new GT with Halogens back to back at night, the HID's are just a better light which allows one to make out objects easier then the more yellow light of the Halogen. I'd take these test results with a grain of salt.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  14. vipergg

I don't slam the doors . I was just saying I think is some of the issue with taillights filling with water and ruining them . It's certainly not the whole issue because I have seen a lot of complaints from the guys with RT's having the same issue and those are powered doors . The lower level Durangos do not have powered doors .

#54 vipergg, Jan 16, 2020
    UN4GTBL likes this.
  15. vipergg

All the lights are projectors even the halogens .

16. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

I can tell you my HIDs in the Durango run circles around my Wrangler JK bulbs. :)

All about perspective.

MoparJoe likes this.
  17. UN4GTBL

UN4GTBL Well-Known Member

FCA seems to have water in light issues.

The tail lights on 2019+ KLs have water issues too.

I've had mine swapped under warranty already, and will have them swapped again seeing that water is still getting in.

James A likes this.
  18. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I really like that!

We were sitting behind a Telluride at McDonalds a couple hours ago, and as my wife and I were talking about it I started thinking that the rear end of Durango just looks a bit dated to me. If they were to change the rear end (probably not likely at this point), those Challenger lights would be amazing. I always wondered if Challenger styling would translate well for the midsize CUV that was (still?) coming.

19. JKU12

JKU12 Well-Known Member

To me the lights aren't the problem. They help. But the Durango rear end has always been the least inspiring part of the design. And straight on from the back I think it looks good. More so the side rear....

20. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Yeah, I agree. The rear end just looks “off” a bit on Durango to me, and I’ve always attributed it to the lights mostly (maybe I’m wrongly accusing them...lol). For me, I think the change in lights would help, at least give it a fresh look. Not saying any of this would stop me from buying one though.....