AF: CAUGHT: 2021 Dodge Durango Gets New Front Styling: | Page 6 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CAUGHT: 2021 Dodge Durango Gets New Front Styling:

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by redriderbob, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

Jeep needs a 3 row SUV badly. The GW has only been rumored for about a decade now (2011 was when I first recall hearing as the potential first model year of one). The GC also really needs a refresh now, with the way FCA's stepped up the interior game on the Ram 1500, the GC could easily be class-leading, and it - along with its LWB sibling, GW, would easily be the top 2 and 3 row full-size SUVs on the market.

Do people really want a replacement for the XJ that are willing to buy new, that haven't already bought a JL? I mean, it feels like re-hashing the same stuff, but a 4 door Wrangler JL is a lot like an XJ Cherokee, except better in pretty much every way, including the available Diesel engine. It seems like that'd be a really niche market of people who haven't bought a JL for (excuse here) that would want an XJ.

As for the smaller crossovers, I know Americans seem to really like eggs now, but I'm not a fan. You gain some ease of entrance, sure, but sacrifice handling, road noise, and fuel economy for it. You don't usually gain much more cargo room over a sedan either because all the egg-makers are trying to make fastback-styled rears, or don't have load-flat floors anyway. So it's not like you can put an appliance inside on its side like you could with a large SUV or van. Honestly, one of the reasons I got the Pacifica was because I liked the ride height and passenger volume, AND cargo volume, and if I was going to buy an egg, I might as well buy the best egg. Turns out I wish I had kept the GC, or gone with a sedan, since I almost never need the cargo or 7-passenger capacity, and I miss the Hemi or car-like handling (or both, like a Charger or 300 offer). And yes, the GC was my SUV of choice *BECAUSE* of the Hemi, I wouldn't have bought an SUV that didn't have one at the time, after leaving my Charger behind.

2. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

3. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Some of us don't want a roof that is removable in any way, shape or form. And because the top is removable the additional structure needed under that removable top takes away interior room.
    The Africa concept is what is needed (gives the proper proportions to passenger space and cargo space) if Jeep wants a version of the Wrangler to be embraced as an XJ replacement.

brewdad and Zagnut27 like this.
  4. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

We still have ours. It seems retail prices for clean ones are beginning to sneak upwards. Ours is really clean and mostly road miles, but the 4.7 is tired, so another 4.7 will take it's place and the Commander will live to fight another day.

XRT2SRT and jclick like this.
  5. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

The JL Wrangler 4-door has 72.4 cubic feet of cargo capacity with the seats folded. The XJ Cherokee had 72 with the seats folded. It's the same. It's 4 cubic feet less than the XJ Cherokee had, with both of them having the seats up, which IMO is more than reasonable considering the fact that the XJ's rear bench seats were super thin, it had no rear legroom, and the bench didn't even have headrests (it's a 2-seater, realistically, unless you don't care that your rear passengers die in a rear-ending). The hard top JL is still quieter inside than the XJ ever could dream of being, while also being way safer in any crash type, so I still haven't heard a real argument as to why Jeep should waste money building an SUV nobody would buy in an XJ replacement, when they already have two. There's JL for the fans of the classic XJ because it's a modern version of the same thing (a box with great visibility and off-road chops, which also happens to be a convertible as well if you want it to be one), and KL for the people who want a Cherokee that rarely if ever actually took an original XJ off road.

srtdrew, UN4GTBL and JKU12 like this.
  6. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

This isn't really the thread to be having a discussion about an XJ replacement. Can we take that somewhere more appropriate please?

srtdrew, Tony K, XRT2SRT and 4 others like this.
  7. Tin Man 2

Tin Man 2 Active Member

I sure hope the red one in106 is just a rendering, the concave front end looks terrible. It does not match the vehicle in any way, looks like a Toyota add on attempt to look sporty.

8. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

mack and jnap will become detroit 1 and 2. Pretty sure the 3 row GC will only be built at Detroit 2 or former mack. I believe that vehicle I showed undercover to be a 3 row jeep GC as it was tagged.

9. BillyRaff

BillyRaff Active Member

How will the active exhaust play with the 5.7 and eTorque?

10. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

I see you read MoparInsiders.com

11. Scottina06

Scottina06 Active Member

Sorry but I dont. I follow you on IG I think.

12. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

In this refresh I hope they add a rear seat sunroof.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  13. mentalicca

mentalicca Well-Known Member

Not a chance. That would require significant changes to the roof for a model that is 2-3 yrs from a full refresh. If it had the same roof as the GC then it may have been more feasible.

I just doubt they would make the investment for that. That would be huge cost for minimal return.

14. Tomguy

Tomguy Well-Known Member

If you mean a tri-pane, that'd be a lot of work, but I'd think the dual-pane from the GC would be easy enough to add into the Durango. It needs it to be class-competitive, the Exploder's had one since at least 2016.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  15. savio.79

savio.79 Active Member

True story.
    Fingers crossed, I go on the "Grand Cherokee 2021" thread, hoping in new spy shots with less camouflage... only to find a sunroof discussion.
    So I come here, because I'm curious about the new front end of the Durango, and again, I find a sunroof discussion.
    So I've learned that if I want new pictures, I get sunroof's bla bla bla o_O:(:confused::D:p

wtxiceman, James A, tlc and 3 others like this.
  16. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

At least it hasn’t devolved yet into a discussion of how electronics are the bane of our existence...lately that’s like the Allpar version of Godwin’s Law. :D

savio.79, Tomguy, Tony K and 2 others like this.
  17. Ryan

Ryan Moderator
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Maybe you should start a sunroof thread and see how off-topic it gets. :D

MoparJoe, Chase300, savio.79 and 6 others like this.
  18. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

Perhaps someone should put together a code sheet...or an Allpar decoder ring to help decipher the true content of the threads. I’ll start us off:

Jeep thread = death of Chrysler +/- Dodge
    Durango refresh = sunroof discussion
    EV cars = electronics are the death of the world +/- death of Hemi cars
    Automotive award = quality still sucks
    300 news = Fiat & Alfa must die

:p

srtdrew, MoparJoe, Dave Z and 7 others like this.