Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ceramic pads - reduced squeel? Use magnet to test?

Discussion in 'Performance' started by MoPar~Man, Oct 10, 2017.

1. MoPar~Man

MoPar~Man Member

Just a couple quick questions:

Of all the different brake pad types, are ceramic pads the least prone to brake squeel (think nails scraping on a black board)? I have a perpetual issue with brake squeel on my '00 300m (they can squeel cold, hot, even really slow speed). Tried many things, can't eliminate it. Hence my question about ceramic pads.

Second question: True or false - a strong magnet won't be attracted / stick-to ceramic pads (or will feel weak attraction to the backing plate) vs metallic / semi-metallic pads? If I'm going to buy ceramic, don't want to be conned and find out they're semi-metallic.

2. paullybob

paullybob Well-Known Member

From my experience, a true ceramic pad has NO ferrous metals in it. The metallic content is usually made of of copper, brass or some Manufacturer specific blend of both. That is why ceramic brake pads very rarely in fact should never squeal. They have no ferrous content to rust after a humid spell or several days of rain and therefore have no metal on metal contact to produce that annoying squeal. The metals in the pad are softer than the rotor so when they do contact the rotor surface they are in fact worn down without any real resistance. That's where the ceramic part comes into play...you need a harder substance to generate the friction to stop and ceramic compounds fill that bill!!

As for the magnet part, never thought of trying it so I can't comment on the truth or falsehood in that statement.

When you change out your pads, are the both worn evenly or is the inner or outer pad destroyed whhile one is decent?? Also, if your running the original calipers, have you tried caliper shims?? Sometimes the caliper sliding surfaces get worn and cause the caliper to shift offline while under braking. This can cause a squeal and can be very difficult to pin down.....Just a thought!!

Mike V. likes this.