Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Challenger & Charger to get Maserati Ghilbi platform in 2021

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Fast Eddie, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

We've been talking about that for a long time here... from what I gather, they are going to be doing the usual FCA shuffle and combining elements of G and Ghibli together. Keep in mind the Ghibli is on a modded LX platform! Main differences, other than parts, is the front suspension setup.

guyverfanatic and Hemidakota like this.
  2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

I don't understand the uncertainly. If what we have been told in the past is true, these cars should be pretty much already designed.

Erik Latranyi likes this.
  3. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

They are not getting the Ghilbi, instead Ghilbi will be another large car on the newly developed large car platform based on the Giorgio architecture.

4. Erik Latranyi

Level III Supporter

Yes, what I was told is that Ghibli goes onto Giorgio first, then Dodge will get its large cars based on what they learned.

VoiceOfReason likes this.
  5. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

If I understand what you're saying......then Dodge will actually be getting Georgio tech THIRD HAND instead of second hand?

OY!......I can hear the moans and groans out there already!

6. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Third hand? What are you talking about?

7. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Most FCA RWD based unibody vehicles will be based off of some Giorgio architecture alternative.

Ghibli should be debuting around the same time Challenger and Charger appear. All three will have different wheelbases.

8. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

So, no RWD 300 then? Are we getting a Pacifica based 300? I can't remember what you told us earlier, Redrider, sorry.

9. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Have to go to the future of Chrysler thread and read all I wrote about the upcoming lineup.

10. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

Erik Latranyi said:
    Yes, what I was told is that Ghibli goes onto Giorgio first, then Dodge will get its large cars based on what they learned.

Pardon me if my thinking process might sound like something out of a Lucille Ball TV show, but......

The Georgio tech goes into the Giulia. To me, that counts as First Hand.

That tech then goes into the next-generation Ghibli. To me, that counts as Second Hand.

And......finally......Dodge gets to use that tech for the next-generation Challenger / Charger. To me, THAT counts as Third Hand.

adaptabl likes this.
  11. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Not how it's going to happen.

guyverfanatic likes this.
  12. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

Let me help you - 300 is officially dead after 2020.

13. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

Eh, I understand where you are coming from but Dodge doesn't even compete with Maserati for funding.
    The development of each of those cars is probably happening in parallel already. I just wonder if we'll still see a full size Alfa in 2019.

But will the Quattroporte have a successor? I think that Maserati has a lot of potential to make some great Porsch Panamera competitors. And the Ghibli is unique because Porsche doesn't have anything in this segment and it is more exclusive than what any other manufacturer offers.

14. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

It's not official yet. I have seen designs for the next 300... but it is still up in the air.

15. TripleT

Level III Supporter

Yes..... with Parametric which is what 30 years old at this point. People have to move there thinking from the top hat days of the 80s, Architecture is exactly what the term implies a thematic starting point, but each version gets better.

Mike V. and ScramFan like this.
  16. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

So could a Dodge "version" (in quotes since it sounds more like each vehicle is unique save the initial architecture points) could be developed in tandem with an Alfa vehicle, thus negating the need to wait for a hand me down platform? That would help speed up the development of new vehicles since there will be engineers consistently working on improvements based on the same initial set of build points instead of going from one platform to the next. Am I close?

17. TripleT

Level III Supporter

[​IMG]

NO NO NO ..... think of it a versions and development. It version is better not degraded. It not the old days where you slapped different hats on existing hardware. Each version is evolved through the feedback and simulation from the physical performance of developed components and customization to the process. The later the version the more experience behind it. It not a piece of used clothing it is development of individual componentry that will only improve with further development...... Maybe I am or we are not explaining this right because of our depth of understand but upper statement is 180 degrees out of phase.

18. TripleT

Level III Supporter

I literally put my palm to my face at the first sentence.......

But the then felt better by the next.... platform doesn't fit anymore. The computational power has moved past that, but in general YES your starting from a point and with solid bases that your developed component will match one design intention. Because your validation loop exists. Each version should improve not be obsolete or old as some have implied. And remember things start our expensive and move cheaper as processes are worked out. For a fact there is stuff in the Alfa you would only do in that Alfa... by the time it comes to Dodge it will be ready for high volume. And the same for the Maserati, some thing at first to expensive for a Dodge that will be affordable when scaled up.

19. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I like to start by giving low expectations.;):) Thank you for the explanation, I really appreciate it.

Development and the final outcome of a Dodge version (I still don't like saying version. Revision, perhaps?) will have more to do with the progression of technology/availability/economy of the architecture, i.e. parts, yes?. But isn't the bottleneck still the fixed points on the manufacturing line so that the greatest economy of scale is a family of vehicles much like in FLEX? I guess I'm hung up on how it is if a vehicle is the sum of it's parts, why then is there a multi year lag between the submission of two vehicles when there is supposed to be more modularity of these architectures? Or am I overstating the lag when two models could come very quickly one after the other if there was rapid development or advancement, but instead there is an artificial delay due to marketing?

I really hope I didn't just make your head explode.:eek:

superduckie5000 likes this.