Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Challenger & Charger to get Maserati Ghilbi platform in 2021

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Fast Eddie, Oct 18, 2017.

1. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Active Member

Thanks for the clarification. It sounds like what you're saying is that these are going to be developed simultaneously instead of in sequence.

The idea of parallel development has me feeling a whole lot better.

You do realize a few of us out there are still suffering the lingering effects of P D T S D :p:D
    P ost
    D aimler
    T raumatic
    S tress
    D isorder

superduckie5000, dakrt99 and GasAxe like this.
  2. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

Oh please please please, keep the 300!!
    It's such an iconic vehicle. Even if Chrysler just starts selling "people moving" SUVs and minivans, a flagship full-size sedan would still allow them to keep a position in traditional car segments with a flagship.
    Strategically, if the market shifts from SUVs to cars again, Chrysler would have a halo full size sedan as a basis for styling, and engineering to make new mid-size and full size sedans.
    Plus it would make sense financially because with the contraction of the full-size sedan market, having a new 300/Charger duo would probably make enough volume to justify the continued presence in this segment. In which, again, FCA is the leader!!!

Who the hell is the responsible for strategy at FCA?

And this is why when you start launching products in a brand new platform already adapted for the future you start with premium/luxury brands that guarantee high margins on their product as well.

And if we were talking about hand me down platforms then poor Cherokee, 500X/Renegade, and Tipo since they're based on developments of platforms from 10 or more years ago.

3. TripleT

Level III Supporter

there can be multiple bottle necks one being Capital, Tooling capacity, FEA time, and certainly in FCA people and project managers. Regardless each iteration makes the successive iteration better not worse. If Dodge is 3rd in line it would benefit from that order not suffer. Only us who are anxious for new product suffer. But of the vehicles that need attention people seem to like the current cars so there is no rush.

jorisr, Deckard_Cain and ScramFan like this.
  4. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

How far off is the design in comparison with the latest gen?

5. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

If the 300 is dead, I am moving to another brand. Sad to say, I still love the simplicity of the functionality of components and the Ralph's design cues.

#25 Hemidakota, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  6. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Quite a bit different

7. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Ralph never designed the car, he brought it to production. But the original 300 designer was Robert Hubbach, the guy behind the Viper GTS Coupe. He retired from Chrysler and Ralph was tasked to bring it to production.

19c791bfb0370ea28041d682d9c37620.jpg
    Hubbach's original sketch

b2776dca50a79475619c3a2684dca30b--nassau-chrysler-.jpg
    Nassau internal design concept... Ralph was tasked to bring it to production.

1241a4c75108e3e74595bac5b91258d5.jpg
    Hubbach's GTS/R sketch

8. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

The future of 300 depends on production capacity, up to four vehicles might be ran out of Brampton.

VoiceOfReason and dfarc like this.
  9. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

It what way? Edgy? Rounder? Or taking the Maserati style?

10. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

Here I thought it was Ralph's design. Thanks!

11. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

He gets the credit but Hubbach was the creator of the design. Hubbach was one of my favorite designers.

It's like the Challenger. Michael Castiglione (who now works for Kia North America) designed the 2006 Dodge Challenger R/T Concept, Jeff Gale was then tasked to bring the Challenger to production for the 2008 model year.

7270e37574b6bc46fee97e7d8aa2e2b8.jpg

12. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

Michael Castiglione is a great guy to talk cars with. Our kids were classmates for a few years in California. For their art class one day he came in and taught the kids how to draw cars.

13. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

Are the designs eye catching?

14. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

No they are terrible... I figured with all the complaining on here about FCA US lack of design and complaining about new products I would join in. lol.

15. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Tsk, tsk Robert. You shouldn't judge before you see the final product.;)

VoiceOfReason and BobbiBigWheels like this.
  16. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

:(

17. wtxiceman

wtxiceman Well-Known Member

Well at least it will have hellcat power.:p

18. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

This makes sense. It also explains why people are saying that the next-gen large cars will borrow from both Maserati Ghibli (which itself is a development of Chrysler 300C) and Alfa Romeo Giulia.

FCA talks a lot about doing a VW with shared blah blah blah, but if you look closely, you find they end up doing largely fresh engineering on everything in the end, because you can't really make a Jeep using a Fiat platform, or a Pacifica using a 200 basis. You can, however, use the engine bay of the 200 as your basic starting point, with the same parts driving power, or start with a Fiat and turn it into a Jeep eventually, albeit an under-performing one (from a traditional-Jeep POV). Come to think of it, Giulietta to Cherokee...

Seems to me a lot of what they do is use vehicles as starting points, and develop from there. I can see two advantages to that — it saves some up front development time, though probably not that much, and it makes it easier to share parts. But FCA isn't rigid about parts sharing... they do it when they can but they don't go crazy with it.

Look at the Pentastar V6 as an example, too. Chrysler has the original, Maserati has the revised version. Did Maserati get stiffed? Are they the same engine? In both cases, no...

19. TripleT

Level III Supporter

What cannot be stressed enough, is starting with a component that has had it validation performed and feedback into the verification steps mostly virtual. So know how far the real part deviate from the physical parts are invaluable, leading to shorter development time and better componentry.

Mike V. likes this.
  20. GaryS

GaryS Well-Known Member

Does anyone have link to the first concept sketches of the RWD that preceded the 300 and Magnum? I remember them being horrendously thick-appearing and butt-ugly, and though I've never learned to love the high beltline, it was a relief to see the toned-down production version.