Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Challenger & Charger to get Maserati Ghilbi platform in 2021

Discussion in 'Rumors and Speculation' started by Fast Eddie, Oct 18, 2017.

1. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

The longer a design stays stagnant the better chance it has of dying. Hell look at how long the neon and pt cruiser design stayed the same and by the end of the life they were selling next to nothing. Be glad if it comes back that the design is different and not the same, jsut means it will stay around longer

adaptabl likes this.
  2. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Supporter

I can see that. Old Chrysler would have taken that information and fed it into CATIA for the long term wear models. (I'm sure they do that in NX, but as Bob Sheaves has pointed out, the lack of digits makes the final estimates looser.)

Mike V. likes this.
  3. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

IF the 300 dies, I hope they bring back the Magnum to fill the void. oh2o did say there would be a surprise coming out of Brampton.

4. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

I know about A,B,C bodys but when it comes to "platform" I am lost. How the large Pacifica is on the same "platform" as the Dart and the 200 is beyond me. So the Ghibi mopar version can look like anything.

5. randy1911

randy1911 Active Member

If FCA is smart it can only help.

6. randy1911

randy1911 Active Member

I remember when Brampton ran 3 shifts just to keep up with production during the 2005 to 2006 years, I'm sure if FCA wants to do it they can the question is, if they want.

valiant67 likes this.
  7. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

With the future product lineup they are going to have to.

8. jimboy

jimboy Well-Known Member

Thank you, I think....

9. Deckard_Cain

Deckard_Cain Active Member

The longer the same product stays on the market the higher the chance it has of dying.
    Audi and BMW have shown that the same styling cues can be applied and iterated upon multiple times and that this actually strengthens a brand's identity. If they released a new 300 I would expect it to not look radically different from the 300 but to be an evolution of this design. If it is radically different then they might as well give it a completely different name and fail to capitalize on the fondness and imagery of the 300.

jimboy likes this.
  10. AmbassadorSST

AmbassadorSST Member

Do they really need a RWD 300, if Chrysler is going to become a CUV/Minivan brand?
    A Pacifica based large FWD car for Chrysler could still happen...but they probably won't call that car a "300".

11. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

those companies have found their identity and can stay the same. Chrysler is searching for their and you most likely found it with the 200/Pacifica

12. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Architecture refers to Parts. Parts with part numbers.

Platform is nothing more than a dreamt up box; it is a set of measurements, an invisible box in the air.

This invisible box, of very specific measurements represents what sort of vehicle will fit down an assembly line.

The place form represents all of the hard points onthe car where the assembly line interfaces with the car.

For each measurement point, each hard point in the platform (the invisible box), there is a maximum and a minimum measurement.

guyverfanatic and GasAxe like this.
  13. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

Even though the Pacifica used the CUSW architecture as the basis of it's RU platform, it is actually quite different. This is because of the use of the Stow & Go seating and battery placement of the Pacifica Hybrid. That is why the upcoming Chrysler full-size CUV will be based on Pacifica and will be able to have Stow & Go seating and the CUSW platform based mid-size CUV based on the K8 platform will not be able to feature Stow & Go seating.

Deckard_Cain, AlfaCuda and danbek like this.
  14. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

Three vehicles from Windsor, none are sedans.

Mike

15. duster92

duster92 Well-Known Member

Castiglione also designed the 300 M.

redriderbob and Hemidakota like this.
  16. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

You mean Eagle Vision... lol.

77 Monaco Brougham likes this.
  17. duster92

duster92 Well-Known Member

Castiglione also designed the 300 M.

What I don't get is these guys design a few cars and then move on. Castiglione should be working at FCA designing cars. The 300M and the Challenger were great designs.

18. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

That's because when they closed the Pacifica Design Studio in Carlsbad, California they offered designers positions in Auburn Hills but a lot of them didn't want to move their family across country to a company at the time was dealing with bankruptcy. So some went to other automakers, some to clothing apparel companies and so forth. Remember Chrysler had 50% of their white collar work force take buy outs during the bankruptcy years. That's why when you go to CTC most of the employees are in their early 30s.

jorisr and ScramFan like this.
  19. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

From what I gathered from him, that is why he didn't move when they closed the design studio in California. Our kids were friends and went to school together from 2006-2010. I didn't push him too hard, since it was clear it was a rough time. Real fun guy to talk cars with, though.

ScramFan likes this.
  20. adaptabl

adaptabl Active Member

That's exactly what will happen. Sales and margins will continue to fall to a point the program will be cancelled. Chrysler and Dodge are out of a full lineup and with the remaining cars being so old in design it will cost far too much to bring in new models. FCA will be selling only Jeeps, SUV's and Minivans soon. FIATS never sold and will never sell in the NA market.