AF: Challenger GT AWD Concept going in front of approval board? | Page 8 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Challenger GT AWD Concept going in front of approval board?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by redriderbob, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

305mm or 12" wide tires do not "fit" according to manufacturer clearance parameters.

No one said a 305mm or 12" tire did not already fit ;). It's up to the owner of the vehicle to choose and install the tire (and wheel) that works best for their application of the vehicle... which is perfectly logical and acceptable. :)

Many would still be surprised how well a 275 can work though.

Mike

2. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

...and since when is a 275 dinky? Of course I'd love to see 295's, 305's, or even 315's, but 275's are still a substantial tire.

Oh yeah, 275's became dinky when Camaro's and Mustangs started arriving with 295's and 305's. Well, iFCA is always about three to four years behind F and C in stuff like this, so I'd guess that any newer/next Gen Chally will have wider meats and be lighter and lower.

3. Mike V.

That's my number one issue. It's 10.8" of tire!!!

That's not "dinky"!!!

295's and 305's that were not true drag radials or true road race oriented that needed to be replaced anyway for any real enthusiastic application of the car.

Which is the same thing that is done with Challenger.

Mike

4. valiant67

valiant67 ...

And this tire size limit is yet another example for those who point to all these"new" products in the NAFTA market. The Challenger isn't a new design, it's a refluffed 10+ year old platform. They've done great with it for what it is, but the old design has compromises that continue to this day.

5. Mike V.

True to a certain degree... But again, just because the factory is not installing 295's or 305's does not mean they won't fit.

The 295's and 305's used on other vehicles are a compromise also. They are usually replaced quite quickly, just like on the Challenger.

Mike

6. wilbur

wilbur Well-Known Member

Someone should of told them that when they added 707 hp under the hood... :)

dmcdonald likes this.
  7. Mike V.

And Dodge put wider wheels and tires on it because of the 707 hp under hood ;)

Mike

guyverfanatic likes this.
  8. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

Oh, there are plenty of times where Chysler is ahead of the curve. Usually, Chevy, and Ford do something, then Mopar comes along and shows them how to do it right. Chevy and Ford have been supercharging long before Mopar, then Mopar comes along, and shows them what supercharging can really do.

There are plenty of other notable exceptions, too.

9. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

FWIW, it works the other way with turbocharging and Ford.

HotCarNut and Mike V. like this.
  10. Smitman

Smitman Active Member

My Hellcat works great with 305 nitto drag radials. No fitment issues at all. I use these for daily driver tasks, and M/T 305's at the track.

MoparJoe, HotCarNut and Mike V. like this.
  11. Mike V.

Yup! Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Smitman likes this.
  12. grungerockjeeper

grungerockjeeper Well-Known Member

S/C'd GM and Ford products are nothing new...but theyre usually done in some collaboration with aftermarket companies. Nothing wrong with that, but when its all done in house and the DNA is pure....Im just more impressed with that. But that's personal bias, of course.

dakrt99 likes this.
  13. dakrt99

dakrt99 Well-Known Member

I agree, when it's engineered from the factory, 100%, it's better.

14. dfarc

dfarc Well-Known Member

Brampton hems the rear quarter panels on both Charger and Challenger to be able to fit the rear tires that they go up to now. Just for the record...

Mike V. likes this.
  15. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

With the srt dart being stillborn, I'm still stuck trying to find the mopar that checks all the boxes. I was looking for awd and more than enough hp. V8 awd with the 8 speed would do it for me, I'd prefer it in the charger but I do like the challenger cockpit better. And the gt does look good (better, imho) with the flares. Was gonna go for the scat pack charger but I would need to keep my current car for winters. Here's hoping

16. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

The only SRT with AWD will be the Grand Cherokee SRT. The Dart is put on hold for who knows... Journey replacement is supposed to have the Dart SRT powertrain but that has been pushed back. Challenger AWD would only be V6 powered.

17. MRGTX

MRGTX Well-Known Member

This is it. It's all relative.

Yep! I've seen it done but they usually stick out beyond the fender lip and while it may not matter, they look a bit dorky.
    Are there wheel offsets that will allow you to keep a 305 under the sheet metal?

HotCarNut likes this.
  18. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Dart dead, no? Unless it's going to be the Fiat Tipo.

19. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Dart SRT... is what I meant

20. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

That's.....disappointing. I was really hoping that the 6.4L would be offered with AWD on the Challenger. I get not being able to beef it up enough for the HellCat, but I really thought they would pull one out with the V8. Would be a really cool differentiator in the northern states....