AF: Challenger T/A, Charger Daytona add performance | Page 17 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Challenger T/A, Charger Daytona add performance

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by Dave Z, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Ahhhh, well that explains that.
    Didn't know DuPont was sold.

2. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

Just a division of DuPont previously named DuPont Performance Coatings. They were sold to the Carlysle Group, a private equity company that invests in promising, but underperforming businesses and fixes them up.

3. runfromcheney

runfromcheney Member

I think Daytona production started last Wednesday. An Allpar news story released on Thanksgiving confirmed that the Daytona is officially in production.

4. MRGTX

MRGTX Well-Known Member

What's the best guess on how the T/A and Daytona models will perform compared to the other packages with the same engine?
    It looks like these will come with 275 tires but will the differences be otherwise measurable when compared to a 392 Scatpack or R/T Road and Track package?

5. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

The T/A and Daytona will perform the same as the other the compatible... it's all about what comes in the package.

Mike

6. HotCarNut

HotCarNut Defender of Reality
    Level III Supporter

Booo.....I have a 526 hp daily driver! Yes, you need to know what you're doing, and have self control to avoid putting your foot to the floor, but YOU should definitely reconsider!

7. Muther

Muther Well-Known Member

So the T/A's are rolling out, and you can finally price them. I can get a "base" T/A for $40k MSRP. I seriously doubt that is what they will sell for. What are they really going to sell for? What would the T/A 392 sell for?

I love dangling my participles, can you tell?

8. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

"With great power comes great responsibility." The mantra I drive to.

HotCarNut likes this.
  9. MRGTX

MRGTX Well-Known Member

There's a time and a place for dangling all sorts of things, I guess.

Do we know that the T/A will be a limited production car? The articles that I recall didn't mention a limited run but I'm sure someone here will know the answer.
    Assuming they're not limited, I would guess that the dealers' "market adjustment" shenanigans might not last all that long.

When I was hemming and hawing about picking up a B5 Scat Pack last spring, they weren't negotiating too aggressively (around here) but they were definitely going for under sticker. The Daytona and T/A obviously have some unique appearance items and a nice collection of upgrades but it's not an all new car. How much demand could they possibly expect above the similarly badass offerings from 2016?

My guess (pure speculation) is that you'll probably be able get one for MSRP right away...and if they keep making them for more than 6 months, you may be able to do better than that soon thereafter.

I can't get that Destroyer Grey T/A 392/6spd out of my head. *drool*

Do these hoods have a reputation for flexing at high speeds? Is there any need at all for those hood pins or are they just "rice"?

10. runfromcheney

runfromcheney Member

I have already decided that if I am to buy a T/A, I am going to wait until I can get a deal. It's not special enough to warrant paying a dealer tariff for. It has to be remembered that underneath the bravado, the T/A is really just a dress up package to maintain customer interest in an aging model that has to face off with two much more modern competitors from Ford and GM. Considering that they have had a good $2-3K on the hood of most Challengers, including Scat Packs, through the summer and fall has me optimistic that I won't have to wait too long. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the T/A has cash on its hood as soon as it hits, given that it's being sold as a "value" model and is not exactly being anticipated. It got its brief blurbs on the Automotive websites when it was unveiled on Woodward and everyone then promptly forgot about it. Which frustrated me when I tried to learn more about it couldn't get anything. Even when I contacted my Dodge dealer they told me, "We really can't tell you anything about it except to not expect to see any before January. We'll call you when we get one in."

Honestly it's a toss up between a T/A and a R/T Classic for me. I just want a Hemi.

#330 runfromcheney, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  11. Mike V.

The hood pins are no more "rice" than the originals that came on other early 70's muscle cars. FCA will build plenty of T/A's.

Mike

#331 Mike V., Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    James A likes this.
  12. runfromcheney

runfromcheney Member

The hood pins are optional, so that leads me to think they are just for appearance.

13. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

I believe you are correct - all of them without the hellcat engine will be lubricated to move with $$$. But it goes back to gambling on what color you'll be able to land for the savings, unless you negotiate them down on an order and not one that's been collecting dust on the lot.

Mike V. likes this.
  14. runfromcheney

runfromcheney Member

Is there any general projections when they will show up at dealers? It will take what, 2-3 weeks for them to get there via transit?

15. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Supporter

Yellow Jacket T/A is wickedly sharp!

Attached Files:

16. Mike V.

Probably late December into January.

17. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

I remember commenting on how you always chose Yellow Jacket when you were showing us a bunch of Build & Price examples. You told me it was to better show the differences between the packages. I'm now convinced you just love the colour.

18. runfromcheney

runfromcheney Member

I have yet to see a Challenger T/A in the flesh, I missed it at Woodward, didn't even know it was there as I didn't find out about the unveiling until I read about on here the following week. The Dream Cruise was a real bust last year. Took my Reatta down there and by the time I hit Birmingham going northbound the rain was pouring and I said "screw it, I'm out of here." No interesting cars, either, I was surrounded by modern appliances the whole time.

That's why I'm chomping at the bit for these things to finally arrive at dealers. Where did you find this one, looks like it might be at a training center? Any pics of the interior? I'm wondering what these "houndstooth" seats look like.

19. oh2o

Level III Supporter

See attached.

Attached Files:

Mike V. likes this.
  20. DGdaPilot

DGdaPilot Active Member

That doesn't look very houndstoothy....