AF: Challenger to charger wheel swap compatibility | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Challenger to charger wheel swap compatibility

Discussion in 'New Challenger, 300, Magnum, Charger' started by sickboy, Dec 16, 2018.

1. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

I’ve purchased a set of (2009?)challenger se 18” wheels and have been using them on a 2006 charger Rt. Steering was slightly wayward, and I had chalked that up to the tires as they were take offs. New set of tires, same problem. Had them Re balanced and the same.
    Since they are a seasonal set, I take them on and off regularly. and they come off much too easily compared to stock, almost like the nuts were loose, even though they are torqued to spec. I checked the hub diameter on line and found .01” different, probably a conversion error.

Could anyone tell me if the lug nuts are different? As in a different taper to the cone. Online search yields a years worth of part numbers. For the record, I am using the charger lug nuts.
    Any help is appreciated!

2. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Yes, wheel fasteners are different.

The most frustrating thing to get folks to understand is that lots of changes were made over the years, particularly between the older LX cars and 2011+.

Use the correct parts - and make sure to get the latest torque recommendation from the dealership, as that changes from time to time.

Easiest parts interchange:

2005 LX - Group A ×

2006 - 2007 LX - Group B

2008 - 2010 LX, LC - Group C *

2011 - 2014 LX/LD/LA - Group D °

2015 - 2020 LX/LD/LA - Group E

--------------------

2005 - 2010 LX = 300, Magnum, Charger
    2008 - 2014 LC = Challenger
    2011 - 2020 LD = Charger
    2015+ LA = Challenger

--------------------

× 2005 LX used the truck 5.7 V8 with MDS.

* 2008 cars use the '06/'07 Coil On Plug, EGR 5.7 V8.
    2009+ uses the current 5.7 Eagle V8
    2010+ NAG1 became Chrysler's US-built A580. Rear diff/axles moved to Marysville.

° 2011 - 2014 LC Challenger did receive LD powertrain/drivetrain/suspension updates, with the 2015+ getting a new interior.

3. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

wow.. weren't the lug nuts the same for b and c bodys for 20 years?

4. sickboy

Worst is, I checked forums before buying and the consensus was they were interchangeable.

5. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

And F/M/J/R ... Lots of interchange.

For the life of me, though, I'll never understand how some jokers can group A model and F together.

6. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Very frustrating, and it can really foul things up. I ordered a fuel pump from the boneyard for my '13 V8 Pursuit. They sent one for a 2.7 '05 Magnum. Why? "The book shows it interchanges ..."

No, it doesn't. It may "fit", and it may even plug in, but it's not the right part. Worse than that, they did have a '15 with the correct pump (dealer advised 2012-14 supercedes to the newer part).
    So they sent that one, which was a bum part (corroded from poor fuel).

Lugnuts became a fiasco in 2008, when the capped versions came under a TSB because the caps came loose. These were the tall acorn nuts that you used.

In 2011, they listed shorty acorns for the squads with baby hubcaps, tall acorns (solid) and tall conical. I am not aware as to what application the tall acorns would've been used. Probably none, in real terms. But they were still listed.

I ran into this quagmire myself when going from shorty acorns/baby hubcaps to tall conicals and full wheel covers.

By 2016, the tall acorns were gone. New was a galvanized tall conical just for the squads with full wheel covers, chrome tall conical (aluminum wheels) and the shorty acorns. It's stayed that way through today.

Torque settings are primarily by wheel type, obviously using the correct fastener.

sickboy likes this.
  7. sickboy

Thanks. I’ve got time till summer comes, but I hope to remember to update the post with my results.

8. sickboy

Found a thread on another forum to try gorilla lug nuts with “factory style bulge”. I was using gorilla nuts as I bought the car used, and the original set was beat up bad.
    I never had an issue with these on the original wheels, but the seating surface may not be wide enough for the challenger rims.
    The forum suggests part #61147. I’ve got more searching to do, but I’ve at least got a lead, and I’ll update, in case anyone is having the same issue

9. sickboy

Sooooo.... I found the issue. When I first got my car, the lugs were so bad I Replaced them with gorilla nuts brand replacements. 60 degree cone, 14/1.50. Direct replacements for the charger. But they were physically different in size.
    although they fit the charger wheels perfect, the cone was much smaller, and it did not seat right. It was surprisingly simple to true up the old nuts in the vise, and although ugly, they fit in the socket like a charm. Thank god I hung onto those destroyed nuts!! 6E140B69-D915-448D-89BA-E569F93E9891.jpeg 15FA8CCE-FC9D-476B-8F81-2877AA8FCA67.jpeg