AF: Change the metric wrenchs | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change the metric wrenchs

Discussion in 'Off Topic But Still Civil' started by voiceofstl, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

Fire hydrants have pentagonal heads on the valve stem, just for this reason - to deter tampering. We had a large ratchet wrench with the 5 sides welded together to make the socket, you could see the welding bead. They are available at some plumbing supply stores only to fire depts.

DC-93 likes this.
  2. Mastertech63

Supporter

I have a socket set from craftsman that is 30 years old. It has 19/23 and 25/32 sizes that I have NEVER used and never once felt compelled to complain. And while we are at it, tell GM to get rid of 5.5 mm headed bolts. I had to buy that socket extra because it wasn't in my set of Snap-on sockets. Now I have a socket that has no place in the socket tray!

DC-93, Tony K and ImperialCrown like this.
  3. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Brake lines. From what I've read, it's not an ISO, ANSI, DIN or JIS size. Every standard has it's own logic. If you have 500 bolts in a machine, pretty soon, all of those bolt heads start to add up to some weight if you use a 12mm head instead of an 11mm and so on.

4. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

5.5mm?????!!!!!! who ever ok'ed this at GM should get some jail time

5. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

A special bolt limits people from working on a product for a period. Keeps them in house until the market is big enough that someone decides to make it. How about safety hex and Torx wrenches?

Bob Lincoln likes this.
  6. voiceofstl

The problem is with metric in the smaller standard sizes there hardly and differance between a 10 vs 11. Its not like 1/2 inch vs 9/16. The odd numbers should be gone.

7. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Why? There's a standard metric wrench for each nominal thread diameter. If one national/regional automotive standard/mfr fails to adhere to that, blame them, not the wrench seller.

MetricWrenches.jpg source: Wrench size - Wikipedia (at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrench_size )

MJAB, Bob Lincoln and page2171 like this.
  8. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

There are many head sizes for American threaded bolts. My first two weeks as a mechanic were spent sorting out nuts and bolts that had come back from a construction job. They had been all tossed into boxes and I had to sort them by size, length, grade AND head size. They are 1/2 inch to 1 inch bolts and corresponding nuts. I had 3 or 4 boxes for each diameter/length I could see why each member of the erection crew was given crescent wrenches along with the spud wrenches. Try adding #3 and #7 plow bolts. (I found #7 with and without a tang even though all are listed as having a tang).

Tony K and DC-93 like this.
  9. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

That has to be aggravating, to a degree. I know from growing up on a farm, you save EVERY fastener and sizable piece of steel. We have old Gerber baby food jars filled with maybe 50 years worth of small and medium machine screws, bolts, nuts and an occasional odd fender washer or toothed lock washer. Dad keeps a bag of odd fasteners in the combine. I say "odd" but they probably all came from an older combine. It's amazing just how many different sizes and threads/pitches there are. I mean, we have wrenches in the 32ds and 64ths, so when someone complains about having metric wrenches every mm from 4-44 (semi-random numbers) plus 5.5 perhaps, I just kinda shrug my shoulders.

DC-93 likes this.
  10. voiceofstl

who is going to tamper with a motor mount bolt?

DC-93 likes this.
  11. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

Someone that wants to do their own work.

12. Bob Lincoln

Bob Lincoln "CHECK FAULT CODES"
    Level 2 Supporter

People who tamper with motor mounts by putting in solid mounts that vibrate like crazy and kill the drivetrain.

Tony K likes this.
  13. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Where have you seen a tamper proof bolt on a motor mount? I haven't had to replace a lot of motor mounts, but have never come across tamper proof bolts.

Doug D likes this.
  14. valiant67

valiant67 ...

My 1999 Town & Country 3.8 had at least one odd ( five sided?) bolt.

page2171 likes this.
  15. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Weird, but somehow I wouldn't be surprised.

16. Catimann

Catimann Member

I run into strange sized bolts all the time and if there is room you can use the different kinds of multi sockets out there. Otherwise it's go buy another one time. SMH. Just imagine if there was some sort of standardized program for all of this. oil filters would cost a buck and so on. I think the vehicle mfg's don't realize that they do no one any favours going this route.

voiceofstl likes this.
  17. 68RT

68RT Well-Known Member

You want to put the patent office? How about all those engineers that would not get their name immortalized.

18. voiceofstl

Thank you for agreeing with me.