Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change wheels?

Discussion in 'Dodge Dart / Viaggio' started by assadour, Jan 27, 2016.

1. assadour

Supporter

Recently bought Dart Rally Blacktop, 2.4, Powertech 6. Only have about 350 miles on it. Terrible mileage (about 16-17 in city driving). The wheels are 18-inch x 7.5-inch. Wish I hadn't gotten it, too late now.

Can I improve the mileage by changing the wheels? Will that void the warranty?

I know the mileage will improve with break-in, but by how much? Would appreciate any helpful comments. Thanks!

2. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Changing the wheels won't significantly affect gas mileage unless you go substantially larger overall diameter - and there's probably not that much room to do that.
    Once tire size is changed, the computer would need to be programmed for the new tire size.

I'd expect it to pick up 1-2 MPGs as it breaks in.

3. assadour

Supporter

valiant67 - Thank you!

4. JA Cumbo

JA Cumbo Enjoying the ride.
    Supporter

I have a Dart with the same tire/wheel engine drivetrain combo and after about 6K miles. the average MPG is right around 27. Almost the same as my wife's Ford Fusion. :/

5. AvengerGuy

AvengerGuy Active Member

Being that we're still in the middle of winter, I'd expect your fuel mileage to improve 2-3 mpg by about April. With you saying that you recently got it, then it hasn't yet been fully broken in yet. An out-of-town road trip at a smooth steady speed might also help if the occasion arises.

PCRMike likes this.
  6. PCRMike

PCRMike Well-Known Member

I have a Limited with the polished wheels. If you are just wanting a change, my son is wanting the black ones. Lol

7. assadour

Supporter

Everybody, thanks much for your replies! Will give you updates.

8. assadour

Supporter

Finally doing my update on my 2016 Blacktop SXT. About 4000 total miles. I recorded 16 fills over 3602 miles. All the following data is from the pump, not the EVIC. Overall average - 24.8 mpg. Low mileage - 17.6 (LOT of stop-and-go and idling). Best mileage - 34.2 (trip from VA to NJ). 4 mileages of 20 or lower. 4 mileages of 30 or more.

Despite the low mileages, I'm very happy with the car. It has lots of goodies (e.g., Sirius-XM, back-up camera). It really rides and handles nice. Other people who have driven it have said the same thing. I'm really surprised that Allpar gave such a so-so review of the Limited they tested.

Dave Z and tlc like this.