Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changed steering column now speedo/ odometer not working

Discussion in 'Pre-1994 trucks, commercial vehicles' started by upser145, May 28, 2017.

1. upser145

upser145 Member

After a steering column replacement my speedometer and odo quit working its a 1988 w150 im not sure what i could have done just changing the column to make it quit as i thought the speedo worked mechanically so no wires i could have messed up. Any tips before i pull the whole thing apart

2. ImperialCrown

Level III Supporter

I would try to reach up in there and feel if the cable is still plugged into the cluster. Make sure that it is seated into the latch.

pt006 and Bob Lincoln like this.
  3. upser145

upser145 Member

Can i do it without insturument pannel off

4. Scrounge

Scrounge Well-Known Member

Yes, if your arm is thin enough. It will be easier from the right side of the steering column. You can probably look up there with a flashlight and see where it is.

Just changing the steering column shouldn't have affected the speedometer and odometer, but if both quit working at the same time, the cable should be checked first. If it's connected at the back of the instrument panel, then it might have coincidentally broken. Was it making any noise before you replaced the steering column?