AF: Charger/Challenger mules ETA? | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charger/Challenger mules ETA?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by LeeRyder, Sep 12, 2020.

1. LeeRyder

LeeRyder Well-Known Member

When should we expect to start seeing next-gen Charger & Challenger mule spy pics roaming the streets?

We're pushing hard against that deadline of when we should expect to see something out there.

HotCarNut and thebluegoat like this.
  2. mopar22

mopar22 Well-Known Member

What do you mean we're pushing hard against when we should expect to see something out? We know it's been delayed for a while now, the merger isn;t helping anything new coming out either

Tony K likes this.
  3. Max Wedge

Max Wedge Well-Known Member

I would think asside from merger they're likely waiting on outcome from Unifor contracts that are currently in talks I believe.

Tony K and jorisr like this.
  4. LeeRyder

Well we're expecting a 22/23 roll out, so that's a year-ish away...

5. page2171

page2171 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be the first time a new Charger/Challenger was supposedly right around the corner, and then the date gets pushed out. :oops:

joewho, Quambi, UN4GTBL and 9 others like this.
  6. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

as of 2019 rams debut, they always said the next gen, on heavily updated LX Platform, is to debut in 2022-2023. Merger or not.

LeeRyder likes this.
  7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

First it was 2018. Then it became 2021. Frankly I’ll be surprised if it makes 2023.

The various stories along the way were interesting. 2018 was a misprint. Giorgio based cars were done, but the current ones were just too profitable to be replaced. They are Giorgio based, they aren’t Giorgio based.

Quambi, wvutuba, thebluegoat and 4 others like this.
  8. LeeRyder

Bingo, so we should start seeing mules very soon.

9. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

They've got 4 Jeeps to launch, update the HD platform, and 1500 will soon be ready for a mid cycle update. Plus they have to do something with the Cherokee. There's no scenario where the cars would come before any of this.

10. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Such is the harsh reality, when you're not Jeep or Ram, a merger is in the works, and COVID has screwed everything up.

11. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave
    Staff Member Level III Supporter

Giorgio influenced would make more sense to me. Maserati Quattroporte influenced would make even more sense. We know it works at that size. Giorgio itself would have to be battered around a bit to allow Hemis. I can't help but think there'd be little in common in the suspension given the vastly different sizes and weights, especially if they plan to allow Hellcat versions (which I suspect they won't).

Tony K and HotCarNut like this.
  12. Adventurer55

If, and it's not a certainty that they will survive, my money's on new sheet metal and an interior redo. Honestly, most customers would be happy with that, given the car climate today. While it will cost some money, they're not dumping it into a completely new platform costing billions my

13. valiant67

valiant67 ...

But we were repeatedly told that Giorgio was going to be great for everything because Alfa, Jeep, and Dodge were all “equally” involved and it was so flexible. And it’s now 5 years later.

14. Powdered Toast Man

Powdered Toast Man Move along, nothing to see here

And at one point it was the plant shuffle was the reason for the delay. I'm long past the point of believing anything is coming until we actually see an official product announcement. I think the only thing driving the rumors is blind speculation on internet groups such as this based on the assumption that things should be coming based on traditional product cycle timelines.

15. Adventurer55

While that would apply in a normal situation, these events starting after the 200 debacle has turned the company's future product planning upside down.

16. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

Giorgio has been battered around for the new GC, I think it'll be a version of that or a combination of the two, or all 4 (giorgoio, giorgio global, Maserati Ghib/Quat, LX.

17. sickboy

sickboy Well-Known Member

I would bet on a 48 volt architecture allowing for new power trains and better fuel economy for the fleet. Now that viper is gone, I see the charger loosing its current viper-esque styling. I’m at a loss for what the challenger restyle may be.

Tony K likes this.
  18. 77 Monaco Brougham

77 Monaco Brougham Well-Known Member

“All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.”

― George Orwell, Animal Farm

19. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Apparently the Maserati derivative of LX wouldn’t fit down the current Brampton assembly line. And if they’re having to redo everything anyway, might as well use the more modern Giorgio Global which supports electrification. Maserati is transitioning to that architecture too. The new Grand Cherokee uses it as well and also supports Hemi engines, so that wouldn’t be a problem.

Max Wedge, tlc, Tony K and 6 others like this.
  20. cygnus

cygnus Well-Known Member

You will see mules in calendar 2022 for a late calendar 2023 launch.

AHBGuru, wolfsblood07 and LeeRyder like this.