AF: Charger/Challenger mules ETA? | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charger/Challenger mules ETA?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by LeeRyder, Sep 12, 2020.

1. turbonetic

turbonetic Active Member

Seeing as the cars were originally to come out 2 years ago the mules must be collecting dust, unless they've totally changed them, which after all the platform musical chairs they probably have.

2. tomaz

tomaz Well-Known Member

The Giorgio "Trickle down effect" is slowly expanding if you have not noticed.

Giorgio
    Giulia>Stelvio>Grecale

Giorgio Global
    Grand Cherokee 3row>Grand Cherokee 2row

As you see Giorgio main focus is SUV and Crossovers as thats what the market demands, Cars will come last. as for the Maserati Sedans, They are not based on LX (afaik) they are built from the QP Platform. from my understanding, they use LX's Electrical System which explains the switch gear ect. you most Def. cant fit a Hemi in them things.

3. patfromigh

patfromigh Well-Known Member

There is a delay with the Charger and Challenger because they will be going to the EMP2 platform from PSA. Expect a series hybrid drivetrain with 3 cylinder turbo gas engines.:eek:

(Yes, I'm being a troll.)

Quambi, Zagnut27, AHBGuru and 4 others like this.
  4. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Guess what.

Every new unibody RWD product from will be on Giorgio platform.

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  5. valiant67

valiant67 ...

So? That’s been promised for over 5 years now.

page2171 and Powdered Toast Man like this.
  6. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Actually not.

Giorgio Global is something else. That's a subversion with new rear end which is optimized for PHEV and BEV versions. Even Stelvio and Giulia MCA should receive in late 2021 or early 2022.

I doubt they will ever use Giorgio Global name except with suppliers. It's always Giorgio.

7. Adventurer55

Adventurer55 Well-Known Member

So, is the term "NEW" mean that L cars will continue as is?

Quambi likes this.
  8. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

I was of the understanding that the M156/157 are derivatives of LX. 2014 Maserati Ghibli: hot LX-derived cars (at https://www.allpar.com/cars/adopted/maserati/ghibli.html )

Ghibli interior
    ghibli-interior.jpg
    300C Platinum interior 300C platinum-dashboard.jpg

#28 Tony K, Sep 14, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  9. Ryan

Staff Member Level III Supporter

Yes, they've been talking about it for a long time. But we are starting to see the results of it now: Grand Cherokee 2- and 3-row, Grecale, new Quattroporte...

Deckard_Cain likes this.
  10. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

All future Maserati products except MC20 are on Giorgio.
    20200912_150155.jpg.573f9164aa484fc9d3a84645141dc42f.jpg 20200912_150214.jpg.7863b6674189dc22bdab50197199f427.jpg

UN4GTBL, Deckard_Cain and jorisr like this.
  11. T_690

T_690 Well-Known Member

Maserati is LX derivative but with much more aluminium. Doors, fenders, front subframe...
    I don't think that aluminium is something special nowadays.

But what makes it out of reach for Brampton is its width. It's considerably wider than LX. Carriers at Brampton are narrow for it.

Quambi, Deckard_Cain, Tony K and 4 others like this.
  12. Thom Paré

Thom Paré Active Member

Depending on your definition of "mule", they're already out there. Powertrain, electrical architecture, and chassis mules are being used for testing now. If you mean pre-production vehicles (the hand-assembled vehicles usually assembled with production intent components in a pilot build area) then those will start to roll out within a year prior to production.

13. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

I'm revising my opinion re Grand Cherokee — I think it will be all-Giorgio as T_690 said all along. Whether this is good or not, we'll find out. It should certainly handle better. An offroad-biased design does not help on the skidpad. While the Grand Cherokee SRT can handle reasonably well, you feel the center of gravity when you slam around a hairpin turn!

As for L-cars, I'm still keeping no opinion other than I personally would have liked to have seen an update to the current Lx with the Quattroporte front suspension design and other upgrades. I think the Quattroporte and Ghibli feel is at the same time akin to the 300C while being superior. As it should be for the extra money! But I think they could have made those changes years ago and had something more competitive now. Not sure it would have affected sales, admittedly.

Quambi, Thom Paré, Chebby7 and 8 others like this.
  14. Jason E

Jason E Active Member

I will be surprised if they even replace the LX cars at all. I'm on my 3rd, and I would buy a 4th...

But FCA seems to have no interest in the car market...just trucks and SUVs...so I am beginning to wonder if Chrysler AND Dodge have any future at all. I don't see the merger helping their chances...only hurting them because there are just too damn many product lines.

Quambi, Thom Paré and jimboy like this.
  15. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

The car magazines seem to believe the "LX cars" will continue to sell for years with the near annual new trim editions and packages. A few years from now a skin job and new interior is all that is needed they say.

Thom Paré likes this.
  16. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

LX doesn't exist. The last LX Charger was produced in 2010.

Regarding the new LE (some call it LF, but whatever), there's one VERY important factor Chrysler has to consider:
    Law enforcement will not accept a new police sedan that's smaller than the current LD.

All things considered, Marcionne's original plan from 2016 still makes very good sense: a thorough re-engineering and updating/refining/improving of the LD/LA architectures.

Tony K, tlc, hmk123 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Dave Z

Dave Z It's me, Dave

That's why I say Lx

Quambi, XRT2SRT, AHBGuru and 2 others like this.
  18. JohnRogers

JohnRogers Paper Tag Rubicon

For better or worse these cars are known as LX by many who don't frequent AllPar. You mention size. That is also something to consider with Challenger. Magazine guys and others who wouldn't shop Challenger anyway say the car must be smaller/lighter. I believe that to be false. Part of Challenger's appeal is the roomy cabin and real trunk space, perfect for road trips or a week's worth of groceries.

Quambi, AvengerGuy, XRT2SRT and 5 others like this.
  19. voiceofstl

voiceofstl Well-Known Member

almost every review of camaro vs mustang vs challenger, the challenger loses the performance race. But almost every reviewer siad they prefer it to be their daliy driver.

Tony K, AvengerGuy, UN4GTBL and 5 others like this.
  20. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Makes perfect sense. Especially since they're now some of the only American cars (of any size) on the market.

Tony K likes this.