AF: Charger/Challenger mules ETA? | Page 3 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charger/Challenger mules ETA?

Discussion in 'Mopar / FCA News' started by LeeRyder, Sep 12, 2020.

1. AHBGuru

AHBGuru Active Member

Funny thing is, the Charger/300 are literally no bigger than the M-body Fifth Ave, Dip, and Fury. The Challenger is also very similar in size to the J-body Mirada, Doba, and Imperial. Those cars were considered intermediates back in the day (except Iacocca pushed them as "full-size"), and their F-body Volare and Aspen cousins were actually marketed as large compacts in the mid-70s.

That's why it's so funny to hear kids point at a Charger or Challenger today and say "what a boat". I always fire back - "have you ever seen a '78 New Yorker, Lincoln Continental, or Caddy DeVille?"

Here's my view of size vs weight:
    As the resident Allpar squad car nut, I own a most appropriate ride, which is a 2017 AWD Pursuit. How can that little car weigh so blasted much, even after I removed the entire PDC and its harness? I would bet it weighs at least 4500 lbs before I sit my chubby caboose in it. That thing should be an absolute tank, but it's all plastic and aluminum. They have the brake lines running across the front of the radiator support, so if I whack a deer, it'll kill the car, too.
    My old M-body Plymouths never weighed more than 3800 lbs, with all my travel gear in the trunk, and me in the seat. Yes, I realize all the safety and convenience stuff crammed into the newer cars. The suspension on my Charger is definitely beefed up over the RWD Chargers I've owned, and the brakes are as huge and heavy as they should be for this car's mission.
    I have an idea the switch to the V6 for the 2021 AWD Pursuit model will show us how even a 250-300 lb weight reduction will produce significant benefits.

I think the size of the cars is perfect. I believe they need to look at how to reduce weight, but also increase durability wherever possible.

wolfsblood07 and HotCarNut like this.
  2. Thom Paré

Thom Paré Active Member

Aside from usually only buying Mopar anyway, it was one of the things that made the Challenger an obvious choice over a Mustang. My son still sits comfortably in the back seat and the trunk is big enough for the three of us to take a cross-country road trip. No other coupe on the market offers this along with all of the other attributes that the Challenger offers. If I wanted something that was more competitive on a road course then I would shop a Mustang or something like that. However, my Challenger has to provide family duties while still making me smile from hind the wheel and looking at it when it's parked in my driveway.

3. Quambi

Quambi Well-Known Member

Chrysler 300 is still LX.

LE is already in use (to signify export LX's - IIRC)

I could see this happening, similar to what was done with the Ram HD's but even more extensive. It would give Charger/Challenger about 4 more years before they're discontinued entirely (or evolve into performance SUV's or something). It would also allow for minimal changes to the assembly plant, and for the continuation of the HEMI engines and police cars. But, this would go against FCA's goal of reducing platforms. And BTW, how long do assembly plant carriers and other platform specific equipment last anyways?

4. MoparJoe

MoparJoe Well-Known Member

There has been and will be stuff ..
    Thats all.....

5. Quambi

Quambi Well-Known Member

Oh.

6. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

Many of those product lines are not global. What is a Dodge or Chrysler in NA could be a Peugeot, Citroen, or Opel in Europe. They didn't kill Opel. They turned it around.

Nope, LD same as the 2011 - current Charger.

7. Quambi

Quambi Well-Known Member

Well, someone better tell the higher ups Brampton Assembly Plant because the signage for Chrysler 300 parts are labeled "LX".
    And when a Chrysler 300 enters my workstation, the PFS computer tells me I'm working on an LX48.
    Even in 2020.;)

I'm surprised you said "LD", because most people on these forums misidentify the 2011 + Chrysler 300 as an "LY".

Max Wedge likes this.
  8. Tony K

Tony K Active Member

There are platform codes and there are vehicle build codes, I guess. I don't pretend to know what the plant calls them.