Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charger Pursuit hits deer at 114mph!

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by redriderbob, Nov 19, 2017.

1. redriderbob

redriderbob Mopar Guru!
    Level 2 Supporter

2. wtxiceman

Level III Supporter

No more 114 mph night runs for redriderbob.:D

3. ZackAttack

ZackAttack Member

The real question is what he was responding to that warranted doing 114 mph

superduckie5000, xjgary and SCasey like this.
  4. EVOL

EVOL Active Member

On a regular two lane road

5. UN4GTBL

Level 2 Supporter

It also shows how bad those headlights are.

xjgary likes this.
  6. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator
    Level III Supporter

At that speed, better headlights would not have made a difference.

And truthfully, the headlights are not bad, compared to any halogen lamp from 10 years ago. Lighting has improved dramatically in the last 5-10 years, even halogen.

Mike

7. crouchta

crouchta Well-Known Member

Lighting doesn't necessarily allow you to see deer, and seeing deer doesn't necessarily allow you to miss them. Two weeks ago, I saw the deer in the ditch. I slowed, it slowed. I decided I could speed up and get by it. It jumped across the road, after I thought I had passed it, and hit me right above my rear wheel. I guarantee this particular deer in the accident was not at all visible, lights or no lights, until it was dead (no pun intended) in front of the car.

AvengerGuy, wolfsblood07 and Dave Z like this.
  8. JRS200x

JRS200x CJDR + FIAT SALES PERSON
    Level 2 Supporter

114mph seems like it was probably excessive especially given the road he was on.

superduckie5000 likes this.
  9. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

We do not know the policies of the department or the nature of the call the officer was on.

Mike

10. page2171

Level 2 Supporter

That is a very rural area of Minnesota (really, most of Minnesota is quite rural once you get out of the Twin Cities) and is a bad area for hitting deer. I hate driving at night out there this time of year, it is just asking to hit a deer.

11. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

Why does it matter? We do not know the policies of that department nor the nature of the call the officer was on.

Mike

12. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Yep. I missed one a few years ago. Two lane rural road at night, I was the 3rd-4th vehicle in a line of traffic about 3 car lengths back from the vehicle ahead doing about 45 mph. A buck darted out in front of me. Missed him by 2 feet. Even at only 45 mph I was only able to get my foot off the gas and had not even begun to touch the brake.

13. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

As a former driver of emergency vehicles (ambulances), some laws do not apply. However, you are obligated to drive at a safe speed considering time of day, environmental conditions, and the type of road (no matter departmental specific policies, this does not change). Get there in a hurry, but arrive safely...not just for you but others on the road as well. The type of call is irrelevant. This guy could’ve just as easily rear-ended another vehicle under the circumstances in this video.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  14. valiant67

valiant67 Rich Corinthian Leather
    Level III Supporter

Charger headlights were rated poor, and I can’t say I disagree with that rating for the base headlights. I’m sure the optional lights are much bettering.

saltydog and UN4GTBL like this.
  15. Devildodge

Devildodge Active Member

This time of year deer have only one thing on their mind. They are completely oblivious to anything other than the opposite sex.

Horns, loud exhaust, yelling at them out your window....they don't care.

And they feel invincible!

My Saint Bernard and I watched 3 does stare at the bottom of my yard. We were 15 yards away from them. They payed no attention to us, so we meandered down my drive and sure enough there was the buck, about 50 yards on the other side of the road. We walked back in the house and about 20 mins later I heard the tires squealing and the horns honking. Guess they made their move.

tomit, UN4GTBL and GasAxe like this.
  16. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic
    Level 2 Supporter

Driving home last night, we saw about a dozen deer along the sides of the road. We saw lots of “eyes” on the other side of the fence along the highway too. At night especially, one should be hyper vigilant when driving. I’ve never hit a deer before, and I hope to keep that streak alive. My brother, father, sister in law, and friends have. My wife ran through the carcass of one on the highway and almost lost control of her vehicle...I was following behind and saw air beneath the back wheels on her Saturn...very scary.

When I did EMS up in Central NY, the deer were everywhere. All the roads were two-lanes with lots of brush and trees on either side...perfect for concealment to the last possible moment. Very hard to spot. The ambulances were fun to drive, but that’s one thing I don’t miss for sure.

GasAxe likes this.
  17. Mike V.

Level III Supporter

My Charger has HID/LED’s.

When you say rated as poor, what is that compared too? If it’s compared to the 7” halogen in my Duster then they are fantastic :D

Mike

#17 Mike V., Nov 20, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    DC-93 likes this.
  18. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

At this point, WHAT DEER? :)

Christopher likes this.
  19. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Deer have the habit of jumping out in front of moving objects all the time. I saw several posts asking if the 114mph was warranted, and at the same time others are saying the police don't respond fast enough. Can't have it both ways, lights flashing and sirens blaring gives the police the authority to get to the scene as fast as possible to save lives, so my response is pretty simple. A deer jumped out in front of a speeding Sheriff patrol car and the car won and survived quite well in my book.

20. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

Yikes, glad the officer is okay. With deer, sometimes it doesn’t matter what speed you’re going. If they jump at the last instant, you’re bumper hunting.

Shane Estabrooks likes this.