AF: Charger Pursuit hits deer at 114mph! | Page 2 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charger Pursuit hits deer at 114mph!

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by redriderbob, Nov 19, 2017.

1. valiant67

valiant67 ...

IIHS is now rating headlights. Charger was rated as poor (since it does not mention optional equipment, I assume they tested the base lights, not the HIDs).

I’ve been out in the middle of nowhere at night with rental Chargers and I have to agree the headlights are lacking. They are better than base Wrangler or my 99 Dakota, but that’s not saying much,

UN4GTBL and Mike V. like this.
  2. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

"Among the 44 headlight systems earning a poor rating, the halogen lights on the BMW 3 series are the worst. A driver with those headlights would have to be going 35 mph or slower to stop in time for an obstacle in the travel lane. A better choice for the same car is an LED curve-adaptive system with high-beam assist, a combination that rates marginal."

Even the Chrysler 200 was only marginal. No testing on the Dodge Charger.

New IIHS ratings show most headlights are lacking (at http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/first-ever-iihs-headlight-ratings-show-most-need-improvement )

UN4GTBL likes this.
  3. valiant67

valiant67 ...

While the 2016 Charger was not tested, and was not mentioned in the March 2016 article, the 2017 Charger was tested later and rated as poor.

UN4GTBL likes this.
  4. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

An applicable excerpt from Michigan’s state law:

257.603 Applicability of chapter to government vehicles; exemption of authorized emergency vehicles; conditions; exemption of police vehicles not sounding audible signal; exemption of persons, vehicles, and equipment working on surface of highway.

(2) The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle when responding to an emergency call, but not while returning from an emergency call, or when pursuing or apprehending a person who has violated or is violating the law or is charged with or suspected of violating the law may exercise the privileges set forth in this section, subject to the conditions of this section.

(3) The driver of an authorized emergency vehicle may do any of the following:

(a) Park or stand, irrespective of this act.

(b) Proceed past a red or stop signal or stop sign, but only after slowing down as may be necessary for safe operation. (We were told, if we were in an accident going through an intersection, we weren’t going at a safe speed...no matter how fast we were going. It was our responsibility to proceed safely...and protect our very expensive rig).

(c) Exceed the prima facie speed limits so long as he or she does not endanger life or property. (Once again, this is a judgment call).

(d) Disregard regulations governing direction of movement or turning in a specified direction. (We could go the wrong way down a one way street. But we weren’t allowed to pass vehicles on the right side. The rationale is, when a driver sees an emergency vehicle approaching, what do they usually do? They pull to the right...).

A lot of driving an emergency vehicle is a judgment call. There are applicable laws, and emergency personnel are granted decent leeway with those laws and for good reason. And experience definitely helps with making sound judgements. But one must always remember, though accidents can always happen, driving recklessly only increases the odds. I’m not saying this dude was reckless, too much is unknown, but it certainly appears that way from what is seen IMO. Your obligation is to the person on the other end of the call, but it’s also to do no harm to any you encounter in between. Imagine having to explain to a spouse or parent that their loved one is dead because of your actions while enroute to a call.

GasAxe and MJAB like this.
  5. Mike V.

Mike V. Mopar-nac The Moderator

Interesting! Thanks! I will look that up.

Mike

6. Hemidakota

Hemidakota Active Member

Good call.

7. valiant67

valiant67 ...

It happens too frequently. A Georgia State Patrol officer running 91 mph in a 55 zone (not on a chase or emergency call) killed two people some time back and it’s still in the court system. Some follow the rules, others don’t. Just like the general population.

xjgary likes this.
  8. valiant67

valiant67 ...

Keep in mind, while I pointed out that they rated the Charger headlights as poor - many, many other vehicles got the poor rating too.

Mike V. and UN4GTBL like this.
  9. Mike V.

All good! I appreciate the info. Lighting technology is changing fast... so fast it is hard to keep up. Some of the stuff at SEMA was insane!

Mike

10. Mike V.

If the officer had no business exceeding the speed limit, then for sure he should not have been.

Mike

11. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

While obviously it would have made no difference in this instance with the speed involved it takes me back to my 89 XJ. I had installed a pair of Hella XL Auxiliary Low Beams. I used them often on the two lane rural roads around here. These roads run between farms following property lines with straights broken up with frequent curves..
    I would use my high beams to see when the next curve was coming up and the Hella XL's to keep an eye on the edge of the road for livestock and wildlife. They had a wider pattern than regular low beams and brighter so they were perfect in these conditions.
    Mounted on the bumper they did a good job in the fog too.

I wish I had taken them off the 89 before I sold it to use them on my 01.

xjgary and UN4GTBL like this.
  12. BobbiBigWheels

BobbiBigWheels The "Front-Line" Perspective

Regardless of headlights, even at 55 MPH I find it hard to believe that the Officer could have anticipated the deer jumping out when/where it did. Just very unfortunate timing.

dana44, GasAxe, danbek and 3 others like this.
  13. Chase300

Chase300 Well-Known Member

Amazing how much damage a deer can do to a vehicle!
    I hit one many years ago in my girlfriends RX-7 at the passenger headlight around 60 or so and it took out the whole side of the car.

BTW, if I'm in an emergency and have called the police, I want them to get there as fast as possible as safe as possible.
    I don't want them constrained to any speed caps.

saltydog, GasAxe, thebluegoat and 2 others like this.
  14. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

I don’t agree. If you slow the video down, you can see the deer running in the road towards the opposite side of the road. If he were going slower, the deer would’ve crossed in front of him and been gone. He may have been able to evade it instead. We don’t know, and will never. But the fact that the officer was doing more than double 55 mph greatly reduced his reaction time, especially considering the type of road and the darkness.

UN4GTBL and Doug D like this.
  15. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

The officer is lucky the deer didn't come through the windshield. At the speed he was reportedly driving I doubt he would have ever touched the brakes before impact. Never mind stopping in time.

16. CherokeeVision

CherokeeVision Well-Known Member

Getting close to Christmas.
    Time for a Bob Rivers song.

I came upon a roadkill deer
    A sorrowful sight to behold
    He lay upon the highway's edge
    His body was stiff and cold

I bet he never saw the car
    Careening through the snow
    The lights shone brightly in his eyes
    And then they laid him low

I came upon a roadkill deer
    And lifted him off the road
    We'll all enjoy a Christmas feast
    Of Bambi sloppy joes

Be careful of those gravel bits
    They really get stuck in your teeth
    We'll place the antlers from his head
    Upon our holiday wreath

(I came upon a roadkill deer)
    (A sorrowful sight to behold)
    He gave his all to bring good cheer
    As thumper mistletoe

multimopes likes this.
  17. IronMike3406

IronMike3406 Well-Known Member

I think the point is on how well the Charger held up to the impact and the outcome could've been the same even if he was travelling at 55mph..... It doesn't matter I have seen deer dart across a road in broad daylight let alone during the evening.

Bob Lincoln, danbek and Erik Latranyi like this.
  18. Christopher

Christopher Socially Unacceptable
    Staff Member Level 2 Supporter

He can be thankful it wasn't a moose.

19. Doug D

Doug D Virginia Gentleman

Around here they tend to be active in the evenings (dusk) and for some reason seem to congregate by the road side at times. Seems the vegetation close to the road is yummier. I've seen up to 9 deer in my backyard on occasion. I've spotted a few running out of our backyard as we pulled in the driveway. At any rate once the leaves begin to turn I'm more vilagant for them.

20. Erik Latranyi

Erik Latranyi Allpar Legacy

The Charger did well protecting the officer's life.

Police Chargers get base lights.....the crappy ones.

There is a video out there of a racing Porsche hitting a deer at around 150. The dashcam in the Porsche behind shows only a red mist before his windshield is covered in liquid

UN4GTBL likes this.