AF: Charger Pursuit hits deer at 114mph! | Page 4 | Allpar Forums
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charger Pursuit hits deer at 114mph!

Discussion in 'Mopar News' started by redriderbob, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

My commute into Philly is about 44 or 45 miles one way. When I was driving my Liberty full time, I believe I was averaging 18 mpg IIRC. When gas went up over $4/gallon it was getting pretty expensive. Its one of the reasons I opted for the V6 in my Mustang.

My brother hit a deer in my Dad's Saturn one night. The hind quarters went along the corner of the hood and along the passenger side. It ripped off the side mirror and broke all the plastic body panels on the passenger side. I had never seen that before...instead of body panels denting, they broke off as the plastic snapped. Very weird to see.

When I bought my TJ, the headlights were terrible. I could hold my Maglite out the window and get better illumination. I installed fog lights...PIAA or Hella...I can't remember which at this point. But the result was dramatic. I could see a lot more of what was on the road and to the sides of the road.

I have a light bar on top of my Liberty that added a lot of illumination, but of course it's for off-road use only. I haven't used them in a few years now, I'm not even sure they still work. I keep meaning to take the covers off the lights to test them, but I keep forgetting.

2. Bill Anderson

Bill Anderson New Member

Supposedly it was an officer assist.

3. TripleT

TripleT Allpar Legacy

Irrelevant deer jump in random patterns when startled, it is a evolutionary adaptation to confuse predators. You can slow to a crawl and contact is still inevitable.

4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

Yep, I had a deer jump over a side rail and run into the side of the 62 Cadillac hearse I was driving at night, left a fist sized dent in the fender.

5. ralph.jones

ralph.jones Well-Known Member

The comments in this thread are getting pretty funny. Please show me an area of the US where a deer strike does not occur. Please raise your hand if you have not seen a dead deer along the road. The fact is the deer population has exploded over the last 30 years or so and it is more than common to see, have, or witness the aftermath of a deer strike.

As for the sheriff deputy running at 114 mph, its common from them to travel at this speed when responding to a priority call. Troopers and sheriff deputies are not like a beat cop and have a small sector to patrol. They may have to come 50 or more miles to get to the call. Sometimes they maybe the only available cop in a 50 mile area and have to respond accordingly. Trust me, it it was your family that was in a priority situation you would not want to wait the 50 minutes or more for the cop to drive the speed limit to get to you.

Headlights - No amount of luminosity is going to prevent a deer strike. They move very quickly and blend into the surrounding very well, this is a survival adaptation. Those of us who drive in the rural areas tend to know where deer are more prevalent and know what to look for (their eyes are very reflective) when driving. We also know that if there is one deer there are others as well.

What should be noted is how little the car was damaged, and yes I know that the push guard took the brunt of the impact. When you hit a deer at high speed, one of two things happens they either go airborne and over your vehicle or you snap there legs off and the body comes thru the windshield killing the front seat occupants. Not sure if the hood popping up was a fluke or a safety design but that more than likely saved the deputies life.

Doug D, tlc and blackstratus like this.
  6. GasAxe

GasAxe Well-Known Member

I expect by now the deer have had time to learn their lesson, right..?:D

Zagnut27 likes this.
  7. Zagnut27

Zagnut27 Jeepaholic

By now, the deer was made into venison...was eaten...turned into fertilizer...helped to grow plants...that have fed deer...that have led to more little deer. It’s the circle of life! :D

It may be karma for mocking the deer, but I almost nailed one on my way home from work this morning. Coming down the off-ramp from 495 on the edge of Wilmington, there were 2 or 3 standing in the road. If not for my cat-like reflexes, my car would’ve had a really bad headache. Yup, cat-like.

#67 Zagnut27, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018