Hello, Allpar Forums member or visitor! If you were a member, you would not see this ad!

Register or log in at the top right of the page...

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Checklist, please!

Discussion in 'GFAQ: G-Body Frequently Asked Questions' started by Scstables, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Scstables

Scstables Member

Okay. Something is wrong with my 1988 Daytona (just a regular 2.5 engine). It seems it could be electrical as if no energy getting to the starter. The battery seems to have plenty of charge as it's brand new. When I turn the ignition on, the lights all light up however when turning the key all the way, there is NOTHING. No sound, no nothing. Where do I start looking to find out what the heck is going on. Did my 28 year old starter go poof? LOL. I don't know.....

2. GLHS60

GLHS60 Well-Known Member

You mention a new battery, was there a problem before it was replaced?

First thing to check is battery terminals, corrosion can cause exactly what you are describing.

Starter relay is on the drivers side shock tower.

Loose cable at starter is another possibility, tugging on the heavy starter wire can sometimes make another connection.

A slight hammer tap on the starter can sometimes get a few more starts if its actually failing.

Good Luck !!

Thanks
    Randy

3. Scstables

Scstables Member

Thanks Randy. What I have noticed is the light under the hood comes on. However when I open the car door, the light that normally comes on to illuminate the interior does not. However when I turn the key, all indicator words/lights come on like it is supposed to, but nothing happens at all when the key is turned completely. This has happened before, and it was a loose connection. Now it is the part of trying to find it. All while my battery loses charge again because I can't the engine started.... grrrr.

4. dana44

Ad-Free Member

To check the starter you should be able to get a screwdriver in there and short it out like the old ones to see if it clicks and/or turns. They do go bad.